The SPOILER FREE SHH Member's Thor: Ragnarok Review Thread

I was worried this film would be too comedic, and not as serious as it should be. I'm not a Thor fan, but I know he isn't the humorous type in the comics. That aside, this was really enjoyable and got a good amount of legit chuckles out of me. Definitely the best Thor film to date, though I do agree with the criticisms of the Warriors 3, Sif, etc.

That aside, it was still too enjoyable a movie for me to linger on those negatives. Hulk finally being fleshed out some and talking was enough to get me on board as I've been wanting that since A2 which failed to deliver. Also loved the 80s electronic score, which was subdued but highly enjoyable if you focused on it. 8/10 upon first watch, but I'd probably up it to 8.5 upon rewatching. I think this might have made my top 5 MCU films.

Loki's reaction when Odin refers to him and Thor as "My sons". Very nice touch.

Same here!

9/10

The hype and reputation of this movie set expectations in a weird place. Critic reception is through the roof and some talk of it being a pure comedy tuned out to be grossly exaggerated. First and foremost the film has a proper amount of gravitas. It's not overtly "jokey" Scenes and actions have real weight. Thor and Loki both have great character arcs and both characters are fleshed out quite well.

The very beginning did give me pause. I feared that the early tone and rather light handling of epic characters from the books would make me hate this film. How Surtur, Skurge, Volstagg and Fandril are handled in the first 15 minutes frankly pissed me off. Even Loki seemed off at first. Yet, as the film unfolded most everything fell in to place nicely and everything seemed to fit the movie perfectly.

The action and the visuals are as amazing as advertised. Even Valkyrie worked as a character even though I was not sold on the casting choice. She could easily be any Valkyrie and not the specific one from the books. This third effort puts a wonderful bow on the trilogy with healthy nods to the previous two films. Yet, this certainly stands on its own and is very unique.

Hela is a superb villain and this is the best Hemsworth has ever been.

Allowed to settle after a stumbling start, this movie was a joy to experience and a blast to watch.
This guy gets it! :up:

I give it 8.5/10.

I truly enjoyed watching this film. It was entertaining it went at a good pace. Even with learning about some unintended spoilers, it actually didn't even affect my enjoyment of the actual execution of it.

Would have liked to see more of the secondary characters. But the movie as whole was just so good, that even the minor complaints I have aren't really necessary as the film was already in a good place to start with.

I will definitely watch this again and easily add this to my collection of Marvel films.

I saw this film for the second time and I am finally ready to give my review. I can not BELIEVE people were calling this a straight up comedy or even an action comedy, it definitely was neither the humor is being VERY overblown.

The movie starts off with a scene that sets the tone for what's to come and it's followed by an awesome action scene. From there the movie picks up at a brisk pace but has some nice character interactions. A few cool cameos here and there before things really take a turn for the more serious.

By the second act the film is firing at you from all angles, emotion, humor, danger, fist pumping action, great character moments, and amazing visuals and set pieces. The overall tone screams fun action adventure while also giving the film weight when it needs it. The set designs are wonderful and very much comic book inspired with brilliant colors and textures.

However, the 3rd act is far and away my favorite and the stakes feel sufficiently high for the task at hand. There are some TRULY awesome fights and action scenes in this movie, throughout all three acts. Immigrant Song by Led Zepplin is officially Thor's ass kicking battle song and if it's not used in IW or A4 I just might fight someone. I was blown away with how POWERFUL Thor was portrayed to be this time around, no doubt he will be a tremendous asset against Thanos. Chris Hemsworth is now synonymous with the character like Hugh Jackman before him and made the character his own at the same time. Chris blew me away with his charisma, presence, and delivery of both comedic and emotional lines. This is by far the best job he's done as Thor and I honestly don't think ANYONE could do Thor as much justice as Hemsworth. I must say I loved Anthony Hopkins/Odin's role in this and how much it pushes Thor to become a better hero. Hulk has never been better on the big screen than he has been in this flick. This time he actually feels like a real character and Ruffalo's Banner is in top form as well easily eclipsing his role in The Avengers. Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie demanded respect and was not to be trifled with and was a MUCH better version than the bland typical Asgardian warrior in the comics.

The main villain Cate Blanchett's Hela is my new favorite Marvel villain and actually has an understandable reasoning behind her actions. Still she was a beautifully and magnificiently TERRIFYING and had charisma and unparalled scene chewing abilities. She was one of the most powerful main villains in the MCU only behind GOTG 2's Ego, Surtur, and Doctor Strange's Dormmamu. I must say Cate has a wonderfully sleek yet curvaceous shape and her booty was nice to look at in her form fitting full body Hela outfit :ilv:.

Heimdall was used better than in this film alone than he has been in the entire serious. He really reeled them film in by keeping it grounded and serious. Korg was great and provided great straight man comedy and his voiced really brought out his personality, Miek was definitely the most entertaining mute I've ever seen. But as a Thor fan nothing brought me more joy than seeing Surtur finally appear on the big screen in all his glory. He was unstoppable, monstrous, and down right pitch perfect to how I've always envisioned him to be. I'd rank him in the top 3 most powerful beings in the MCU and he doesn't need an Infinity Stone or help from his offspring (I'm looking at you Eson The Searcher and Ego The Living Planet).

Oh and I can't forget Jeff Goldblum's Grandmaster, he was full on Goldblum and made the character his own in a similar way RDJ made Tony Stark his own. I loved every scene he was in. . The score was also my favorite in any superhero film, the mix of classical music and 80's synth beats were a PLEASURE to listen to.

All in all I give the film a 9 out of 10 (now if might be closer to a 9.5 after my 2nd viewing) and it is now my favorite MCU film and in my top 3 BEST MCU films. It's also in my top 5 superhero movies of all time.

Vartha would SURELY be proud of this film, may he watch it as much as he pleases in heaven! :thor:

Last edited:
Beautiful review,BT.

Thank you, it took me like 20 minutes to write I kept adding things and adding things then just when I thought I was done I'd add more things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"