TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said anything about it being TDK caliber? All I've heard is praise on the action sequences and how beautiful the movie looks. Have yet to hear a comparison to TDK.

I've seen more comparisons to BB than anything else. That's a pretty high standard for me though. BB is still better than TDK or any other live action superhero movie to me.

Negative buzz? Which universe in all Superman infinite earth was there negative buzz ?

For Green Lantern? Negative buzz started when Ryan Reynolds was cast. Checking my usual boards the week of release there were a lot of fans worried from early reactions they read. I refused to believe them at first, but the embargo lifted the day of release (another bad sign) and bad review after bad review reared its ugly head.

I don't get this vibe for Man of Steel and I'm very happy about that.

Yeah, I really feel like the best parallel for MOS is Batman Begins - it'll probably be successful but fly under a few people's radars at first. By the time the sequel comes around, enough people will be sold and more than ready for the franchise to be taken to the next level.

Case in point - a lot of GA people I talk to will say dismissive things like, "Another Superman movie?" The same way people would react to Batman Begins at first: "Another Batman movie?" A really great portrayal of Supes is just not in this generation's public consciousness yet. After MOS, it will be.

I agree with the Begins parallel, but I do think it'll be more successful than Begins. Nolan's name actually means something to the general public now, and WB hasn't pulled any punches with the marketing.

I agree with the Begins parallel, but I do think it'll be more successful than Begins. Nolan's name actually means something to the general public now, and WB hasn't pulled any punches with the marketing.

The marketing has been far better for MOS than BB. Plus overseas markets have expanded tremendously in the last few years, especially for films in 3D. It should be able to do pretty well compared to BB's gross.

For Green Lantern? Negative buzz started when Ryan Reynolds was cast. Checking my usual boards the week of release there were a lot of fans worried from early reactions they read. I refused to believe them at first, but the embargo lifted the day of release (another bad sign) and bad review after bad review reared its ugly head.

I don't get this vibe for Man of Steel and I'm very happy about that.

Did GL have early screenings?

Hope Jonah Nolan writes the sequel. He was the one who co wrote TDK with Goyer and specifically concentrated on Joker in the script. He is the real genius of the 3

I personally think that Jonah's a consistently good storyteller ,while being more of a fanboy than Chris. I kind of get the feeling that he wanted to do Batman (like the comics) when I watch POI episodes. I'd bring him back for the Batman reboot.

minutes is wonderful. But YOU MUST see it with polarized glasses. The color is great. … It’s not campy at all. The humor is earned. And Mark Strong as Sinestro was AWESOME. … I LOVED GREEN LANTERN. Don’t know why, but it kinda’ felt like THE LAST STARFIGHTER. I know…”Huh?!? What?!?” … it really did feel like an 80′s movie, circa ’84… Weird. … BTW…In LexG parlance…Blake Lively…LOOK AT HER. SMOOOOOKING hot.

Okay, that's more concerning :D

Seeing tons of BB comparisons and I love it!! Batman Begins is in my top 3 in terms of Best CBM's of all-time. TDK being #1 - #2 Spider-man 2 #3 Batman Begins #4 Avengers #5 TDKR #6 IronMan #7 X2 #8 Superman: TM #9 Watchmen #10 First Class

Hopefully Man of Steel knocks Batman out and moves in my Top 5.

^ If it dips below 82, that's when I'll start to become worried.

People are way too obsessed with things like RT scores these days.. When Empire Strikes Back came out the reviews were leaning more towards mixed but people didn't have the internet to look all of them up and have a RT score. 30 years later the film is revered as a classic and maybe the greatest sequel of all time.. MOS could be epic or a letdown. I doubt the RT score will determine that..

People are way too obsessed with things like RT scores these days.. When Empire Strikes Back came out the reviews were leaning more towards mixed but people didn't have the internet to look all of them up and have a RT score. 30 years later the film is revered as a classic and maybe the greatest sequel of all time.. MOS could be epic or a letdown. I doubt the RT score will determine that..

Good points. I'm starting to worry that MOS will be TOO ahead of its time ;)

AICN talkbackers who have seen the movie don't like it. Then again they don't ever seem to like anything.

Yeah, the talkbackers on AICN say everything sucks.

AICN talkbackers who have seen the movie don't like it. Then again they don't ever seem to like anything.

They don't. They're way too fixated on being pseudo-pretentious armchair critics to ever admit to liking something like MOS. I stopped visiting AICN about a decade ago. ;)

It really, really annoys me how people disregard Rotten Tomatoes before the movie comes out or if it gets mixed reviews, but if the movie is is well- liked or hated, everyone is okay with the score

AICN, I get annoyed even attempting to browse that site.

They don't. They're way too fixated on being pseudo-pretentious armchair critics to ever admit to liking something like MOS. I stopped visiting AICN about a decade ago. ;)

Yep. Aintitcool people like to be taken seriously, so they trash talk everything.

It really, really annoys me how people disregard Rotten Tomatoes before the movie comes out or if it gets mixed reviews, but if the movie is is well- liked or hated, everyone is okay with the score

A miserable RT score certainly means the obvious..

But a RT score of say a 70 versus a 90 does not always equate to a good film versus a great one. For example Mission Impossible 4 got a 93 on RT and I thought it was at best a solid spy movie.. Sherlock Holmes 2 was 60 on RT and I loved it..

But a RT score of say a 70 versus a 90 does not always equate to a good film versus a great one. For example Mission Impossible 4 got a 93 on RT and I thought it was at best a solid spy movie.. Sherlock Holmes 2 was 60 on RT and I loved it..

MI4 wasn't really so much a spy film, as it was a team-based fantasy flick.
I consider Life of Pi to be better than Skyfall, and that got a few points lower. I'm expecting for MOS to be slightly higher or lower than BB, but not hit the 90s.

RT is accurate to a reasonable extent.

How many movies with over 80% fresh are actually low quality?

How many with under 40% fresh are actually high quality?

MI4 wasn't really so much a spy film, as it was a team-based fantasy flick.
I consider Life of Pi to be better than Skyfall, and that got a few points lower. I'm expecting for MOS to be slightly higher or lower than BB, but not hit the 90s.

SR 76% on RT was and is a very good score but most fans didn't like it.. So MOS could be the same score but the reaction from the fans could be completely different..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"