POLL: Who should be Lex Luthor?

Cold and calculating are pretty in the wheelhouse of both Bill S and Hoult. Not sure why you think they couldn't do that.
Cold and calculating yes. Intimidating to the extent that I'd believe an entire room of shareholders, councilmen and business people would fear them? Not quite. I guess it really depends on the take on Lex that Gunn is going with, but I tend to imagine Lex as more of an overbearing presence, someone that's very commanding.

I think Lex’s intimidation factor can easily just come from cruelty, intelligence and the power he wields rather than him being an overbearing alpha. Both takes work fine.

Something that I'm also thinking is about how Gunn said something to the effect that he wants his Lex to be grounded in the real world, which makes me think he probably does have some sort of real life point of reference on what he imagines Luthor to me. And it's just kinda hard to wrap my head around a Lex that'd actually be that powerful that young; I guess Zuckerberg is an example but although powerful he's mostly seen as a laughing stock and Snyder already did that.

There's Steve Jobs in the 80s I guess, so I guess some sort of modern version of that?

The sort of twitchy smug vibe is indeed pretty reflective of how most billionaires actually are though, instead of the cool collected Clancy Brown take, so maybe that's what Gunn is going with, it's just hard for me to picture it as young as Bill or Nic.

Cold and calculating yes. Intimidating to the extent that I'd believe an entire room of shareholders, councilmen and business people would fear them? Not quite. I guess it really depends on the take on Lex that Gunn is going with, but I tend to imagine Lex as more of an overbearing presence, someone that's very commanding.

Based off his performance in John Wick Chapter 4, I'd believe Bill could maybe pull it off, but he wouldn't be my top choice. TBH, neither Nic Hoult or Alex S would be my top choices either though.

It's honestly a bit hard coming up with a name who I'd want to see as Lex Luthor - wouldn't want anyone over 50, and while some British actors come to mind, I don't know if they can pull off an American accent. I originally wanted Bradley Cooper as Joker when he was younger, but maybe he could pull off a John Shea-inspired Lex?

Nicholas is the most fascinating. He played such a good sociopath in skins and he’s only developed more as an actor. He’s perfect for the modern era

Although I want him as John Stewart too, I think John David Washington would be a good Lex. He's got the bravado, the presence, and being the son of a great actor, I could definitely see him as a guy who's really concerned about his image, forever striving to prove himself as being more than the product of nepotism. Could see him bringing a fun...almost Kanye type energy to the role, brilliant, yes, but his ridiculous levels of narcissism and insecurity end up with him in equally ridiculous situations, together with his Mercy and Otis type characters, or a Bizarro.

But Nicholas Hoult would be great too. I tend to not like him playing Americans, as it always comes across a bit unnatural to me, but that could work to the character's favour here, like he's ironically the one in public constantly pretending to be human(e), not Clark.

Last edited:
Based off his performance in John Wick Chapter 4, I'd believe Bill could maybe pull it off, but he wouldn't be my top choice. TBH, neither Nic Hoult or Alex S would be my top choices either though.

It's honestly a bit hard coming up with a name who I'd want to see as Lex Luthor - wouldn't want anyone over 50, and while some British actors come to mind, I don't know if they can pull off an American accent. I originally wanted Bradley Cooper as Joker when he was younger, but maybe he could pull off a John Shea-inspired Lex?
His character in JW came across as bratty and wimpish so it's made it hard for me to see him intimidating as Lex at this point I would I go for the other.

Out of these three Alexander is probably the best pick. However, someone suggested him for Dr Doom in the FF discussion and I like that casting better.

I've noticed a few people say they don't want Alexander because he is the same height and already kinda jacked. I think that makes me want him even more in the role. Always liked how Lex was in peak physical shape in the Superman TAS/Justice League. Rosenbaum I think is the only live action actor that was in physical shape. Well, maybe the guy from Lois & Clark, I can't remember.

I wouldn't be mad if they cast someone not on this list though.

Bill Skarsgard has an unusual, otherworldly quality about him that I like. He could be good for other villains too.

I could pretty easily see Bill Skarsgard as Brainiac.

And Gunn better flippin' put in Brainiac at some point in what's hopefully a trilogy for Corenswet/Brosnahan or I'm definitely rioting. We've already seen enough of Luthor or Luthor archetypes in the movies and TV series, time to move on to other Superman villains!

I could pretty easily see Bill Skarsgard as Brainiac.

And Gunn better flippin' put in Brainiac at some point in what's hopefully a trilogy for Corenswet/Brosnahan or I'm definitely rioting. We've already seen enough of Luthor or Luthor archetypes in the movies and TV series, time to move on to other Superman villains!
Brainaic is one of the most overdue villains in all of comic lore! And I was thinking of Brainiac above most of all when referring to Bill. :up: A full new trilogy without Brainiac would indeed be a crime. With Luthor though I don’t think he’s been done well enough on film yet (unlike Joker) to want that closed off just yet.

I've noticed a few people say they don't want Alexander because he is the same height and already kinda jacked. I think that makes me want him even more in the role. Always liked how Lex was in peak physical shape in the Superman TAS/Justice League. Rosenbaum I think is the only live action actor that was in physical shape. Well, maybe the guy from Lois & Clark, I can't remember.

I wouldn't be mad if they cast someone not on this list though.

Agreed

Either Tilda Swinton or Mads Mikkelsen as Brainiac.
I think either one would kill it.

I actually would love to have a conversation about a woman Brainiac but I guess we should keep that for the villains thread

Luther appears to the next actor to be cast for Legacy and then members of the Authority. Maybe they will introduce Brainiac technology and hold the Brainiac character for later on in the DCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"