Homecoming Post-Homecoming: Who's the best Spidey and Peter Parker?

I don't quite get why Holland's Spider-Man is constantly high-spirited and shouting that everything is 'Awesome!'. Spider-Man of the comics is down-on-his-luck, plagued by doubt and troubles, and his sense-of-humour is self-depreciating. He sometimes loves being Spidey, but just as much he hates it and how it ruins his personal life. I think the next movie needs to incorporate that more.

Why is he that way? Simple: because if all Peter ever did was mope about his life, whining "woe is me", the audience would walk out the door. Super Heroes can be tragic, but ultimately that tragedy has to lead them to greater heights of heroism. If the message of your story is "It would be better if this guy never became a hero", the audience will agree, and respond "It would be better if we never watched this movie".

Tom is the best casting. But I prefer Tobey's role in the Sony movies since he just wasn't one of the many heroes of a movie verse.

Another thing about Tom as peter that people are missing is, is that yeah he is showing an excitement for being Spider-man, but it’s also obvious him being Spider-man IS messing with his life, they are just not clubbing you over the head with it.

For example, except for one friend, everyone else thinks he’s a flake, smart but a flake and unreliable. And the girl he wants and crushes on and also likes him….does he get her in the end like a classic hero? Nope. In fact she moves away out of state also wondering what his issues are totally because of his actions of being Spider-man. Doing the right thing cost him. His life is not easy and even the right choices give him consequences.

Andrew Garfield remains the best Spider-Man, so far.

What about Peter?

It's hard to say, really.

Andrew was a pretty good college-Peter in ASM2, somewhat confident but still a little awkard. ASM1 was a genuinely new take on the character and I respect them for it. There's grit to him and I liked it, probably because of how much I love the Ultimate comics.

Tobey is a solid Peter in both SM1 and SM2, especially the latter. Maybe a little too tragic but it works.

Acting wise, Tom does a pretty good job in Homecoming - he really sells the desperation in the rubble scene. Sucks that Peter/Spider-Man was written like a God damn child. Spider-Man is a young man, not a child. I think Tom is a pretty good actor but there's just no escaping the writing.

Even with Spider-Man being a pretty goofy character at times, he's noble. Despite all the fun that comes with the powers, the reason he puts on the suit is because of reasons so much deeper than just fun and games. Having a family member shot should be reason enough, no need for a freakin' suit AI and definitely no need for Tony Stark.

Damn, how did I not find this thread?

MCU's Spidey was the most layered film version by far for me. I don't think I ever had an actor get me in Peter's head that much, nor have I ever seen a Peter with that much acting range. The scene where Tom breaks down is possibly the best acted scene in any of the six films, as far as the main three actors go. This is all coming from someone who was impressed with how much Andrew got me in Peter's head, and of the range he displayed.

That being said, Tom also had the best material to work with. The question for me is if Andrew was younger and played the MCU version, would I prefer him over Tom?

Acting-wise I feel they're equal, but Andrew comes off more as a real-life Peter Parker to me. I don't know why. Maybe it's his shy, reserved attitude? Or the fact he mentioned before how he always felt he never fitted in? Even some of his history reminds me of Peter's. I joked when he got fired it was such a typical Parker luck kind of scenario :funny: . Also him spending an entire day with that cancer-stricken kid reminded me of The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man :waa:. Plus, as a bonus, he looks exactly like 616 Peter. Maybe not so much now, but he used to.

So I feel given the same version, I'd probably connect with Andrew a little more for those reasons. However, personal things about the actor are not what ultimately get me invested in a version; they're just side points. At the end of the day, I connect too much to the MCU version to trade it for the Webb version or any other.

Thus my vote goes to Tom.

Last edited:
Tom is the best spider-man

was torn between Tobey and Tom for best Peter, but I gave it to Tom.

I'll always love you, Tobes.

It's hard to say, really.

Andrew was a pretty good college-Peter in ASM2, somewhat confident but still a little awkard. ASM1 was a genuinely new take on the character and I respect them for it. There's grit to him and I liked it, probably because of how much I love the Ultimate comics.

Tobey is a solid Peter in both SM1 and SM2, especially the latter. Maybe a little too tragic but it works.

Acting wise, Tom does a pretty good job in Homecoming - he really sells the desperation in the rubble scene. Sucks that Peter/Spider-Man was written like a God damn child. Spider-Man is a young man, not a child. I think Tom is a pretty good actor but there's just no escaping the writing.

Even with Spider-Man being a pretty goofy character at times, he's noble. Despite all the fun that comes with the powers, the reason he puts on the suit is because of reasons so much deeper than just fun and games. Having a family member shot should be reason enough, no need for a freakin' suit AI and definitely no need for Tony Stark.

I do think Andrew's version of Peter made an improvement from ASM to the sequel. However, he's third on my list.

And although I found Tobey's Peter Parker to be too much of a caricature, both he and the filmmakers did an excellent job of giving the audience the feeling or visuals that Peter is down on his luck--just because he becomes Spider-Man does not make his life easier or better. In fact, it just complicates everything more and his life ends up being more difficult. The burden of being the hero was shown to great effect.

While I am not 100% satisfied with the MCU's version of Peter Parker and Spider-Man, I still feel that Tom is the best in both categories. I can only hope that they give us more of that dramatic depth that was missing from Homecoming. Tom is certainly capable of delivering some powerful scenes so I'd like to see more of that in the sequel.

For me its....

For Peter Parker
1) Tom
2) Tobey
3) Andrew

For Spider-man
1) Tom
2) Andrew
3) Tobey

I do think Andrew's version of Peter made an improvement from ASM to the sequel. However, he's third on my list.

And although I found Tobey's Peter Parker to be too much of a caricature, both he and the filmmakers did an excellent job of giving the audience the feeling or visuals that Peter is down on his luck--just because he becomes Spider-Man does not make his life easier or better. In fact, it just complicates everything more and his life ends up being more difficult. The burden of being the hero was shown to great effect.

While I am not 100% satisfied with the MCU's version of Peter Parker and Spider-Man, I still feel that Tom is the best in both categories. I can only hope that they give us more of that dramatic depth that was missing from Homecoming. Tom is certainly capable of delivering some powerful scenes so I'd like to see more of that in the sequel.

Totally see what you mean. In the end, this is all subjective and depends a lot on circumstances and well, personal taste. Obviously.

I've always liked the character not only because of his powers and abilities, but as I grow older; the tragedy, as well. Spider-Man's origin is just as dark as Batman's, despite the silly persona. He should be funny in a sarcastic way and the jokes should be told just as much for his own sake, out of nervousness. Homecoming had no real weight to anything, I felt. Peter just kinda... Hangs out.

Holland for both best Peter Parker and Spidey.

Holland is really really good. However if you gave Garfield the material that Tom got, bet he knocks it out of the park. I already thought parts of TASM and TASM2 where it was faithful to the comics Garfield was everything I imagined. So I gotta go with him.

After watching Homecoming again yesterday, Tom by far. Andrew and Tobey both brought good stuff to the table, but both were missing one crucial element. Tobey lacked much of a sense of fun. Yes, being Spider-Man sucks, and Parker is always a bit of a debbie downer, but the comic book version balances that out with a lighthearted sense of humor that makes him really fun to read. When Tobey tried to bring more lightness and fun in the first act of 3, it came off as really forced and kinda cringe.
Andrew is probably the best dramatic actor of the three, but I had a hard time getting into the head of his portrayal. He was almost too quirky to feel like Peter Parker. He lacked that everyman, average joe quality.
Tom nails both parts of the role and I have zero complaints with his performance. While I do wish we had gotten a better idea about his origin, he pretty much embodies everything about Spider-Man to me, and I can't wait to see him take on more villains in the sequel. I really, really hope he gets to fight at least one of the big three (Octavius, Osborn, Venom).

Uuuum.... ****.

I voted Garfield when I meant to vote for Holland.

Damn.

I voted Tom on both. I really enjoyed his portrayal in the movie, instead of crying in every movie or being a jerk to people.

Just got back from seeing it and I have to say Magire is the worst of the 3 by far when it comes to Spider-Man. Garfield is still the best Spider-Man but Tom is the best Peter. Garfield Peter was not like nerdy enough, Magire was like to nerdy and Tom is like in the middle. Tom was the funniest but a lot of that has to do with what he had to work with. Garfield gave the best performance has Spider-Man.

Just rewatched and my thoughts exactly

Why is he that way? Simple: because if all Peter ever did was mope about his life, whining "woe is me", the audience would walk out the door.

I don't recall anyone walking out during Spider-Man 2....

Garfield embodied everything both should be.

Tom was great for the age that he's playing but his Spider-Man wasn't Spider-man to me. He was the dumbest version of this character so far.

Maguire is just pathetic but in the better films than Homecoming was.

This poll is getting close to the mercy rule, Tom in a landslide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"