• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Post your Oscar snub

-Sergio Leone never getting nominated for Best Director. Although I doubt, at the time, the Academy realized how important his films would become.
-Quentin Tarantino not getting any nominations except for Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds.
-Alien only getting nominated for technical awards.

Transformers and Pirates of the Carribean loosing to Golden Compass for Best Visual Effects will always stay in my mind....

QFT

Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture
Djimon Hounsou for Amistad, to even be nominated
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron for Best Animated Film
Ratatouille nominated for Best Picture, it was the highest rated film of 2007
Morgan Freeman should have won Best Supporting Actor for The Shawshank Redemption
The Shawshank Redemption for Best Picture
LA Confidential for Best Picture
Star Wars 1977 Best Picture
Jaws 1977 Best Picture
Best Visual Effects ILM for Dragonheart
Best Director nomination for The Color Purple Steven Spielberg

There's a lot more, but at the moment this is all I can recall.

Last edited:
The one that really stands out for me is How Green Was My Valley beating BOTH Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon in 1942. I just have no idea what they were thinking.

QFT

Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture
Djimon Hounsou for Amistad, to even be nominated
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron for Best Animated Film
Ratatouille nominated for Best Picture, it was the highest rated film of 2007
Morgan Freeman should have won Best Supporting Actor for The Shawshank Redemption
The Shawshank Redemption for Best Picture
LA Confidential for Best Picture
Jaws 1977 Best Picture
Best Visual Effects ILM for Dragonheart
Best Director nomination for The Color Purple Steven Spielberg

There's a lot more, but at the moment this is all I can recall.
I have never heard anyone think of him as supporting in that film. He is clearly lead.

Michael Fassbender should have gotten an om nom nom for Hunger.

can we post movies that should of been nominated? if so I say the dark knight, its was more then just a "superhero" movie, it was one of the most finely brilliantly crime satires of the modern day and it just happened to have batman and a clown running around.

but for snubs I say shakespeare in love over saving private ryan. how did that happen?

Worst ever.

I have never heard anyone think of him as supporting in that film. He is clearly lead.

The plot of the film is about Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) who goes to prison for the death of his wife and her lover, and then at the end he breaks out.

Tim Robbins was the only person on the Theatrical poster, because the main story was about his character's story, the leading role.

Oh and I want to add, ILM's run from 1995 thru 2005 no Oscar win!

No win for Sean Penn for I Am Sam

Last edited:
The plot of the film is about Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) who goes to prison for the death of his wife and her lover, and then at the end he breaks out.

Tim Robbins was the only person on the Theatrical poster, because the main story was about his character's story, the leading role.

he went full ******

he went full ******

"Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, Rainman, look ******ed, act ******ed, not ******ed. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic. Sure. Not ******ed.
You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. ******ed, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t ******ed." "You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."

They are both lead obviously.

I was thinking about this thread today. Another one of my picks: Christian Bale for American Psycho. That role was absolute brilliance, and Bale perfectly captured the materialistic detachment that is Patrick Bateman. Really, a perfect performance.

But that still doesn't make him the lead. The story was told through Red's perspective not Andy's. The focus was clearly on him. Remember Jake (the bird) and the old man. Well that juxtaposed Red and Andy's relationship. Red was the old man and Andy was Red's "jake".

One of the biggest Oscar snubs I can think of is Zodiac not getting nominated for anything.

Exactly.

Good call on Bale for American Psycho.

Leo DiCaprio for The Departed and hell, throw Jack in there as well.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang not being nominated for best adapted screenplay.

In Bruges not getting Best Original Screenplay.

The Wrestler for best actor and not even getting nominated for best picture.

A Serious Man should have won over the rest. Definitely a stronger film than The Hurt Locker.

Pulp Fiction over the Oscar bait that was Forrest Gump.

QFT
Jaws 1977 Best Picture

Star Wars was nominated for BP it just didnt win and the film that did was Annie Hall.

Here were the Nominess:
"ANNIE HALL", "The Goodbye Girl", "Julia", "Star Wars", "The Turning Point"

Hard to take a film out of that list and put Jaws up there but i do agree that it was snubbed a nomination. Having Annie Hall win though was right in my mind even though Star Wars was revolutionary.

Well if you will remember Leo got nominated for Blood Diamond that year too, so did you really want him to run against himself? I find that annoying when they do that.

Oh and I would like to add, how in blue **** did Geoffery Rush beat out both Ralph Fiennes AND Tom Cruise in 1996? He just wasnt that good in Shine.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Good call on Bale for American Psycho.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang not being nominated for best adapted screenplay.

In Bruges not getting Best Original Screenplay.

Too true how something like Juno won an oscar while In Bruges didn't even get nominated I'll never understand.

Star Wars was nominated for BP it just didnt win and the film that did was Annie Hall.

Here were the Nominess:
"ANNIE HALL", "The Goodbye Girl", "Julia", "Star Wars", "The Turning Point"
To clarify, JAWS came out in 1975. It was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS that was released in '77.

Oh my bad, and i thought my post was so well done! Damn!

Too true how something like Juno won an oscar while In Bruges didn't even get nominated I'll never understand.
In Bruges got nominated, but lost to Milk. The other three nominees were WALL-E, Happy Go Lucky, and Frozen River.

Speaking of Best Original Screenplay, Hot Fuzz should have been nominated in 2007, and the winner should have been Hot Fuzz or Michael Clayton.

Sometimes I only think they win Oscars is because it's the It film and there's more buzz behind it.

Why do you think Titanic won? I mean the film isn't even that great.

L.A. Confidential beat the **** out of that film and it didn't win. I mean seriously. The film is a hundred times better than Titanic.

In Bruges not getting best original screenplay. A unique gem that film/screenplay is. Effortless blending of comedy and humour, excellent characters.

Deakins not winning cinematography for No Country or Jesse James.

"You're an F###in inanimate object!"

Best.Comeback.Ever.

But that still doesn't make him the lead. The story was told through Red's perspective not Andy's. The focus was clearly on him. Remember Jake (the bird) and the old man. Well that juxtaposed Red and Andy's relationship. Red was the old man and Andy was Red's "jake".

Both leads (to a degree), but you wouldn't say that Orson Welles wasn't the lead in Citizen Kane because his story was told through multiple perspectives would you? Red isn't the actual protagonist of the story as most of the conflict centers around Andy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"