79th Annual Academy Awards Thread

Cinemaman said:
Well, I think Babel didn't have so much positivity from critics. Yeah, they liked it, but not so much.

The Departed and The Queen are leaders of the run for Best Movie award, I am sure.

Babel will probably be up for best director, I can't spell his name off the top of my head, but critcs love that guy.

Right now, you are correct The Departed, and The Queen definatley have to be the favs, but again I will say this, December is when everything that anyone thinks will win an award, will get released, it is way to early to start making perdictions, because while they will be big players (Departed, and Queen) it's tough to say what will actually win or not.

So do people think Gael Garcia Bernal will be up for Best Supporting?

For Babel, I've heard his performance is pretty damn good.

I have not seen the movie, but I will point you in the direction of a movie I have seen with him in it, The King, which was remarkable, I will say I won't be surprised if he gets a nom, or wins. Although I think Jack, or Matt from the Departed where pretty bomb, I think ether, or both will get a nomination, and both could also win it, by both I mean, one or the other.

I personally think Ben Affleck has it in the bag for his role in Hollywoodland.`

I wouldn't overestimate Babel. Yeah, it looks like good enough movie to win Oscar Award, but I just can't see this.

So what about foreign movies?

The Proposition? Pan's Labrynth?

Cinemaman said:
I wouldn't overestimate Babel. Yeah, it looks like good enough movie to win Oscar Award, but I just can't see this.

And if Cinemaman can't see it, it's not happening. :mad: :up:

.....:oldrazz:

kol_lover said:

Seeing that tomorrow. :up:

the Proposition isn't eligible for foreign as it's in english. Volver seems to have that one all wrapped up.

Oh... I thought 'cos it's an Australian film. :(

I obviously don't know Oscar rules...

anyways... I think it'll get some joy at the BAFTAS.

Matt said:
Umm, wow you are misinformed.

Costello - Is more commonly Irish than Italian although it could be either. Just because it ends in an O and doesn't have "Mc" in it doesn't mean it is Italian, not Irish.

As for DeCaprio's accent change, it was intentional, he was a double agent. His accent changes based on who he is with.

First, I just looked that up and you're right. Costello is in fact a dervitive of the Irish surname Costole, although I've never known an Irishman with this name. Second, don't even be condescending to me ever again. I know that an Irish name doesn't have to begin with an Mc to be Irish you ignorant p***k, because I am Irish. I also know that a name that ends in O doesn't mean that it is Italian because I am also part Italian. So don't give me your holier-than-thou-Mr. Walters-must-be-racist-for-assuming that-crap attitude, because as McGuinea I have every right to assume which last name is which. Third, fine let's make pretend that DiCaprio's accent varried by which person he was being (even though it never sounded accurate) then why did all the other actors except for Damon, Sheen, and Baldwin loose their accents too?

PS Jack Nicholson was attrocious in this movie.

cmill216 said:
And if Cinemaman can't see it, it's not happening. :mad: :up:

.....:oldrazz:

CINEMAMAN can't be wrong! He can't be wrong!!! Error... Error... :D

kol_lover said:
I personally think Ben Affleck has it in the bag for his role in Hollywoodland.`

That would be nice for chucky, I'm personally a big Ben Affleck fan, although he does some just miserable movies, I like how he takes everything in stride when people give him ****, I would like to see something good happen for him. Which, I mean, he has Smokin Aces coming out, and that looks to be freaking sweet too, maybe its a turnning point in his career. Like Chris Nolan once said, "Things have to get bad, before they can get good" and it doesn't get much worse then reindeer games, and Gigli. So, if he gets nominated for Best Supporting Actor, or Best Actor (but he has more of the DeNiro in Godfather pt 2 role for Hollywoodland) I will be pulling for him.

kol_lover said:

It's to bad the Proposition is just going to get completely screwed here I feel, cause that movie is just fantastic. I would bet (although I haven't seen it yet) Pan' Labrynth will get some love. Perdiction for best foreign movie though: Water by Deepha Mahta, excellent flick

L0ngsh0t said:
That would be nice for chucky, I'm personally a big Ben Affleck fan, although he does some just miserable movies, I like how he takes everything in stride when people give him ****, I would like to see something good happen for him. Which, I mean, he has Smokin Aces coming out, and that looks to be freaking sweet too, maybe its a turnning point in his career. Like Chris Nolan once said, "Things have to get bad, before they can get good" and it doesn't get much worse then reindeer games, and Gigli. So, if he gets nominated for Best Supporting Actor, or Best Actor (but he has more of the DeNiro in Godfather pt 2 role for Hollywoodland) I will be pulling for him.
I'm also a big Affleck fan... I've got about 12 of his movies on DVD.

And I think Smokin' Aces looks awesome too! It has another of my favorites in too... Ryan Reynolds.

L0ngsh0t said:
It's to bad the Proposition is just going to get completely screwed here I feel, cause that movie is just fantastic. I would bet (although I haven't seen it yet) Pan' Labrynth will get some love. Perdiction for best foreign movie though: Water by Deepha Mahta, excellent flick
I mean... Pan's has already got an 8.3 on IMDB from like 2500 users... and it has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

kol_lover said:
I mean... Pan's has already got an 8.3 on IMDB from like 2500 users... and it has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

haha, okay, so I may have underestimated it by saying 'some love' lol

It is truly amazing.

God, there's no words great enough to fully explain how amazing it is or how it made me feel after watching it.

kol_lover said:
God, there's no words great enough to fully explain how amazing it is or how it made me feel after watching it.

Lol, this is nothing but good news

Lol... so true man, so true.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Departed

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Helen Mirren - The Queen

Best Perfomance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls

Achievement in Directing
Bill Condon - Dreamgirls