Post your review here! (Fant4stic Four)

Where was Sue/Johnnys relationship? They didn't have a good one or a bad one, barely interacted with one another. I guess it was to set up for the sequel?

oh and I loved that there were only 3 people watching this in my theater, one of them being me.

Last edited:
11823071_914719271900852_3238012998631134385_o.jpg

6/10

I only paid 5 bucks

The Film lost me at 1 year later. 3 out of 10

The film lost me at 7 years later. I wondered if it had really been that long that I had been watching it. Then they added another year on top of that. 8 years it felt like I had been watching the first act it was so boring.

Then it all rushed to an anti-climactic end with terrible CGI that made some parts of it look like it was done in the 1950s as a B-movie, and other parts in the 1980s.

At least I didn't shell out any money for the movie. The sound completely disappeared for the last couple of seconds so I didn't get to hear the final few lines about what they should call the team.

Alright, so I finally watched this infamous movie today. I just want to say some things before I get into the review. I think Trank's Chronicle is a very good movie that interestingly subverted certain tropes of a genre. Using "found footage" allowed for the most grounded "superpower" film so far; there was no camp, no fancy tech, no glossy aesthetics, no big personalities, no CGI action/violence, and no evil masterminds. These have all been pillars of the superhero genre and Trank managed to make a good superhero movie without any of them. Chronicle offered moral ambiguity that invalidated words like "antagonist," "hero," or "villain."

I also want to say that I enjoy Story's Fantastic Four films. I would never defend their quality, because I actually do think they are really bad. But sometimes when I need to destress or cheer myself up I'll watch those movies. The characters have big cartoonish personalities, the action is cheesy with bad special effects, the plots are nonsensical, and the acting is weak. I used to think I liked watching them because it was fun to make fun of their faults. But now I think I like them because they are unashamed to represent the corny, campy legacy of comics that made me a fan in the first place.

Trank's Fantastic Four is an attempt to combine the polar opposites of the genre; a melding of the earnest deconstruction of Chronicle with the tongue-in-cheek kitsch of the Story films. I became interested in this movie because of this incongruity and I thought it could do something interesting to the genre. The film also illuminated aspects of fan culture - namely intense brand loyalty and comic book purism. This movie looked like it was going to bring that ideology to a boil. In some ways, that's exactly what the movie did. Some fans feel vindicated by the poor critical and financial response; purists have triumphed over anyone that dares challenge the fandom and the casualties are the Fantastic Four. Maybe this is how it should be. Or maybe purism is hammering the nails in the genre's coffin. But that's a question for after Marvel, WB, and Fox have burned through their icons.

Now for the movie itself. It is painfully obvious, to the point of being indefensible, that this movie fails as an adaptation of the Fantastic Four. It's such a bad adaptation that the superficial links to the source material make the movie worse. Sue's line about Dr. Doom (I can't remember how it goes, but it's the only time this movie was hilariously bad), the use of Victor Von Doom, "it's Clobbering time," "Flame on," Johnny and Ben's weak attempts at a feud, the name "Fantastic Four", etc have no place in this movie. They made me feel... kinda bad because in Story's films these things were cheesy, but it was a happy cheese. "Flame on" in this version brings to mind the images the film showed us of a man in pain burning alive.

There was a lot of horror in the movie. Victor's accident, Johnny's burning body, Ben's claustrophobic rock body, Reed's gross stretchy body, Doom's head exploding power, and more. There's actually a precedent for this if you watch Venture Bros, which features a parody of the Fantastic Four that consists of a man who painfully combusts when exposed to oxygen, a woman who turns her skin invisible to expose musculature, an evil elongated man, and a Thing that you just sorta feel bad for. It's a great and disturbing parody because it exposes a darkness underneath an ideal.

Fantastic Four (2015) halfheartedly goes for horror, without any of the parody. To the film's credit, the best scenes in the movie are the horrifying ones - the accident on Planet Zero and the aftermath. I thought the movie was going in a genuinely interesting direction. It subverted our expectations of superpowers, extended the theme of dangerous science, and made me care about the characters' well being. I'm a big fan of playing with genres, deconstruction, and doing things differently; and the movie seemed to be doing all of those things. But that momentum was lost suddenly and jarringly with the time jump.

Instead of showing us how these characters deal with their powers, how their new status quo has impacted their relationships with each other, or how they turn something negative into something positive, the movie decides to make Tim Blake Nelson uninterestingly explain to us what has happened in the last year in order to shoehorn a military plot that didn't go anywhere. "One Year Later" was a fast forward button to an action climax that didn't belong in this movie. "It's clobbering time," says Ben Grimm; a character raised in violence, who thanklessly helped his best friend his whole life, and who was turned into a murderous monster.

I guess this is a good time to discuss the characters. I have never been able to decide if the Fantastic Four privileges the patriarchal nuclear family or celebrates unique family units. I think the answer is both, but I want to see a movie that does the latter.

The only relationship that is decently developed is Ben and Reed. It was almost touching earlier in the movie: two best friends going on separate paths in life. Reed asked Ben to come with them to Planet Zero as a way to involve Ben in his life again. It's heartbreaking when Reed sees Ben after the accident and has to leave him. Their dynamic fell apart after the time jump. Reed was looking for Ben throughout that year, but he knew where he was the whole time - where he left him. The filmmakers failed if they were going for character drama because Ben's condition, Reed's responsibility, and his abandonment are never resolved. It was cruel when Johnny called Ben a thing.

After a year or so of "I'm not racist, but..." posts, we finally see Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm... and there wasn't that much of him. To be fair, he did have a character and an arc. He resented the path his father was trying to put him on. His powers provided an alternative life purpose and he embraced it. However, the movie should have developed what being a government operative actually entailed and why that is dangerous. What a perfect opportunity for Sue to be a great big sister: the government is about to use her little brother as a killing machine. She should have convinced him why it's wrong and taken the power away from the military.

The treatment of Sue Storm, and women in the movie, bothered me. I am extremely sick of excuses for why there have been so few female superheroes in comic book movies. It was frustrating listening to Ant-Man's contrived reasons for forcing Lang in the suit and not Hope. And now this movie doesn't even include Sue in the trip to Planet Zero. The horrifying alternate dimension trip becomes an all-boys-club booze-fest. It felt like the movie reluctantly included her. And on top of that, Sue is once again the object of desire for Reed and Victor.

And regarding the other women in the movie... oh wait... there weren't any. Unacceptable.

I have to say, I liked this version of Doom way more than McMahon's version. I hated his Doom's lines, delivery, powers, and motivations. I thought this Doom actually looked quite cool when we first see him on Planet Zero. He doesn't work quite as well up close when we can see more details, though (his eyes and mouth look really bad). It would be nice to see why Victor is so anti-establishment/authority, but I understand resenting the people destroying the earth and trying to stop them from doing the same thing to another world. Doom was definitely not the worst part of the movie (like I thought he was in Story's movies).

When remembered in isolation from the rest of the movie, I like the final battle. I thought the effects were decent, the teamwork had clever moments, and Doom's powers were visually interesting. But knowing that the formulaic climax took away from character development, decent pacing, and general plot, keeps me from really enjoying it. It's a superpower slugfest that went against the tone and themes of everything before it.

Ultimately, this movie should not have been called Fantastic Four. It should have been another original movie done by Trank that focused on the horror of getting powers and what that does to a group dynamic. This movie needed the freedom of being an original creation. Fantastic Four (2015) is a comic book adaptation that is made worse when it adapts the comics. That's a problem.

Last edited:
I found it to be painfully dull and boring. Everything seemed rushed, messy and CGI'd up the wazoo.

Nobody gave any sort of performance worth commenting on, in my opinion.

Poor Kate Mara. Susan with that ever changing hairstyle and that awful energy bubble/shield that she was flying around in! WTF. I laughed so hard at the end when she was floating around with Ben and Reed in there too.

Doom looked like a crash test dummy covered in green LED lights. Just horrible.

I really enjoyed your post Mad Ones, very well put out thoughts. Did you see the B-Roll footage that showed a lot of cut content?

I really enjoyed your post Mad Ones, very well put out thoughts. Did you see the B-Roll footage that showed a lot of cut content?
I have not. I bet there's a lot...

So, I saw the movie yesterday finally. My thoughts are...complicated. the best way to characterize this movie, imo, is a very interesting mess. There are some great moments and great ideas presented in the film and like the majority have already said many times, the first half of the film is good. The characters are charming and the budding chemistry between the cast begins to shine through. I don't agree with the assessment that the movie is dour and humorless, because there is a lot of humor and levity in the first part of the film that focuses on the character development. Its very enjoyable stuff.

Then....the second half happens and your just left like "huh? What in the actual **** is going on here?" The editing of this movie was completely butchered. Everything is just cut short and your'e left with blue balls. There is virtually NO act 2 and act 3 just comes and goes in a flash. This is, for all intents and purposes, an incomplete film. Look, I don't know who should bear the brunt of the blame, Fox or Trank, but it baffles me that Fox would allow this unfinished movie into theaters. I've got to imagine that there's a metric TON of footage left on the cutting room floor and I'm willing to bet a lot of money most of that footage was valuable character development and character interactions between the cast because that is clearly where Trank's strongest focus was. Most of the footage shown in the initial trailer is NOT in this film. Where is all that footage? Was all that extra stuff SO bad that FOX forced Trank to cut it? I just can't imagine that.

I don't feel right calling this a bad movie because there are so many bright spots lost in this narrative mess. The cast is good, the ideas are good, the brief moments of horror we got were well done, the movie is just incomplete. It's not done. Where is act 2? We need more character development, the final fight is too damn short, where's all the action from the trailers? It kind of sucks that this movie tanked so bad at the box office because this means that we will most likely not be getting any sort of director's/extended cut of the film. I think this is one movie that would HUGELY benefit from having its extra footage restored and edited back into the film for an extended cut. I would LOVE to see that. I would love an extra 20-25 minutes of just character interactions and development so that I give a damn about these guys. Since Trank's relationship with FOX is pretty much done for, a director's cut will now never happen. Hopefully Simon Kinberg or someone over there gives enough of a damn to provide an alternate/extended cut for the blu ray release so that we can see the movie that could have been. It will at least give people a reason to buy the DVD/ Blu Ray.

Any way, those are my thoughts. This is an incomplete film and I want to see the rest of it. Where did the rest go?

6/10

Last edited:
Honestly the only good thing about this movie is Michael B. Jordan. The rest is cheap and awful.

1/10

(Story's FF1 - 5/10, FF2 - 3/10)

I'm going to brave the film tonight. A friend of mine seems to be oblivious to the negative stuff out there, but he doesn't sit on these boards like I do. Long story short, he wants to see it and, as a good friend, I'll go with him. So my review will be up later tonight or tomorrow morning if anyone cares.

Truth be told, I'm pretty good at enjoying bad movies as long as there's a good or great moment within that I get lost in. I know Green Lantern is just not a good film, but I pop it in every once in a while when I'm in a DC movie kick. I also was not really a fan of the last 2 Fantastic Four films or, really, the Fantastic Four in general. That might affect my thoughts, too. I don't know. Just hoping I'm somewhat entertained by this as I don't get out to the movies a lot. We'll see!

It's hard to evaluate a movie when it's a cobbled together incomplete mess without a second act. Like, it's not even a real movie.

I give it an "I" for "Incomplete."

just watched this for the first time and i'm just gonna keep it short because very little of this film stayed with me.

i was actually intrigued with the story until reed went on the run. the first half was good but it could have went a lot better with some actual development for the characters. from the trailers i saw there was definitely some character development story filmed but for whatever reason it's not in the final cut. for all of the problems this movie has, i don't think the cast deserves any blame. some of the dialogue in this film was so cringey i almost closed my video player. how does this stuff even make it to the filming process? you have some of the most talented up and comers and not one of them was given anything to work with. just incredibly sad.

I'm surprised to see so many people comment on how they thought the first act was "good". I found the first act to be serviceable at best, but it still felt incredibly rushed and under-developed. The only things in the entire movie I will call out as "good" or as close to good as it gets, is Reed and Ben's relationship and the body horror stuff that happened right after they got their powers. That's it. That's absolutely it.

So, I'm not with the majority on this one. I did not think this film is horrible. I also don't think it's fantastic. The words my friend and I used at the end of the film was that it's pretty good. I agree that the best parts of the film lead up to the 1 year mark. However, I disagree that the remainder of the film is a jumbled mess or anything. It just felt very rushed. It's almost as if the studio was like, "Get to the action! Wrap it up!" I really wanted to see the team work together and fail before they get to the end battle and succeed. Could've taken some more time with Doom's arrival, set up a smaller battle and then closed with the big one.

Just my opinion, I know, but I'd give it a 7/10. The performances from the lead actors were really good. I hate that we didn't really see them as a complete team throughout. For all the hate he got, Michael B Jordan is not a problem in this film. I really liked his Human Torch.

I'll reflect more on it after some rest, but my initial thought is that this is a decent film, not a great one and it certainly has it's complications. But far from a horrible mess. One thing to note, which I mentioned above, is that I'm not a huge Fantastic Four comic fan. I read them in crossover events, but not their own comic. This could've affected my view of the film, for sure.

I'm surprised to see so many people comment on how they thought the first act was "good". I found the first act to be serviceable at best, but it still felt incredibly rushed and under-developed. The only things in the entire movie I will call out as "good" or as close to good as it gets, is Reed and Ben's relationship and the body horror stuff that happened right after they got their powers. That's it. That's absolutely it.

I agree too. It had way too much going on, and changed thematically about 5 to 10 times. And worse yet all of the characters are completely undeveloped, they are just pieces of cardboard walking around.

I just saw this disaster, and boy was it ever a disaster. Pretty much what everyone has said about this is true, I didn't know how they can manage to go from prologue, to Act 1 then Act 3 but they did.

And I don't know if its been addressed, but for all the talk about MBJ being the best guy out there for Johny Storm and race didn't matter, bull crap! He did not capture Johnny Storm's personality whatsoever, he was just playing the 'angry black dude'. He was really was the most miscast of the four.

1/10. I saw it free and still feel ripped off.

Last edited:
This movie makes the Story films look like great CBMs. That's all I'm gonna say.

It amazes me that the Story films are basically the best FF films we are going to get for quite a while now.

It's hard to evaluate a movie when it's a cobbled together incomplete mess without a second act. Like, it's not even a real movie.

I give it an "I" for "Incomplete."

Here's what I think

1st act ends after they got their powers.
2nd act begins with 1 year later and ends when Reed was taken to Area 57
3rd act begins when Doom was brought back to Earth.

Yes, that's how I'd describe it -- serviceable.
I'm sure there had to be more scenes that helped inform the relationships that for unknown reasons were left on the cutting room floor.
The editor for the finished film left the relationships in scraps, just when you think they may flesh something out, they jump to another scene. Very chaotic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"