Preacher coming to HBO!

MSJ's Daredevil was awesome (Director's Cut obviously)

MSJ's Ghost Rider was awesome

You all can just go screw yourselves :cmad:

seriously, how does this guy still get work? :cmad:

He's like the Uwe Bol of comicbook movies :o

Seriously is it that hard to get competent working on comic book projects? Besides a select few most comic book movies and tv shows suck.

Obviously that series was so good that the writers were hired for comics.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../003586005.cfm

Some ****ing idiot got Mark Steven Johnson to write it though :csad:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, it's something I've wanted to see for a while but in this guy's hands it could end up being a complete abortion...

Discuss
Well, he's said in interviews that he wants it to be a direct adaptation of the comic with a comic for each episode. If he does it like this, I think he will be fine since it is already written out for him. The only thing he would have to worry about is transitions and whatnot. This is pretty different from the rest of his works where he basically created the entire story out of bits of comic stories.

Also, while I didn't like GR that much, I did really enjoy DD_Director's Cut and thought it showed that he can be a good director.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../003586005.cfm

Some ****ing idiot got Mark Steven Johnson to write it though :csad:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, it's something I've wanted to see for a while but in this guy's hands it could end up being a complete abortion...

Discuss

Garth Ennis has flat out told MSJ that he can have some leway with adapting the coming, and Mark has told him no, straight adaptation of bust. Don't worry, the show'll be good.

Also, MSJ isn't that bad a writer/director. He's not great, but he's not bad. He just doesn't know how to deal with the studios, so they end up cutting out or flat out refusing to let him make all of the good parts.

I can't say I'm thrilled that he's creating the whole thing, but it's not like he will write and direct every episode; I don't think his involvement will be that obvious, and with the strength of the original material, it will be pretty hard to completely screw it up.

I heard that Kevin Smith was in veeery early talks/discussions/rumors to direct an episode ... I hope Tarantino gets a shot at a couple, if that's the case.

Most importantly, they have to tell the whole story. No use in setting everything up then getting cancelled in between books three and four. I'd rather them not bother at all if that's what they were going to do.

Random cast suggestion: Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development), in a bald patch, as Jesse's mother.

I can't say I'm thrilled that he's creating the whole thing, but it's not like he will write and direct every episode; I don't think his involvement will be that obvious, and with the strength of the original material, it will be pretty hard to completely screw it up.

I heard that Kevin Smith was in veeery early talks/discussions/rumors to direct an episode ... I hope Tarantino gets a shot at a couple, if that's the case.

Most importantly, they have to tell the whole story. No use in setting everything up then getting cancelled in between books three and four. I'd rather them not bother at all if that's what they were going to do.

Random cast suggestion: Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development), in a bald patch, as Jesse's mother.

Perfect person to direct this would be Rob Rodriguez. If ever there was a match between a director and subject matter, this is it :up:

Part of me wants to believe that HBO wouldn't do that, but then another part of me calls Carnivale to mind. :o

Part of me wants to believe that HBO wouldn't do that, but then another part of me calls Carnivale to mind. :o
Well, HBO will cancel it if it doesn't get teh ratings, which you can't really fault them on. The good news is that they have shown a tendency to not completely cut off ties to somethign if it isn't getting the best ratings, but is still developing a good following. Deadwood wasn't getting the ratings, and instead, they turned it into a few movies instead of a new season. The same with Rome. It was canceled after the first season, but the smaller fanbase pleaded with them, and they gave it another season (even though it's been cancelled again).

Preacher should have enough of a fanbase to start with where HBO will be comfortable with it (and hopefully promote it well). And worse case scenario, if they get through a few seasons, but don't want to keep it as a full show, do somethign like deadwood for the rest of it and make it more like several movies to finish it off. That's another good thing about Preacher, it has a set beginning and end for them unlike most shows.

Simmer down, girls, guys, and interspecies beings.

In the Wizard article is says that Johnsons is PITCHING it to HBO. It's not for sure so lets calm down and wait and see.

But, yeah, this will definitely be awesome and maybe HBO will grow more balls and pick up more Vertigo titles. 100 Bullets and Y The Last Man would make for FANTASTIC series on HBO. Especially Y.

I really hope that this works out and Johnson promises that whole staying by the source material because it'll be awesome, damnit.

Simmer down, girls, guys, and interspecies beings.

In the Wizard article is says that Johnsons is PITCHING it to HBO. It's not for sure so lets calm down and wait and see.

But, yeah, this will definitely be awesome and maybe HBO will grow more balls and pick up more Vertigo titles. 100 Bullets and Y The Last Man would make for FANTASTIC series on HBO. Especially Y.

I really hope that this works out and Johnson promises that whole staying by the source material because it'll be awesome, damnit.

Vaughan said in a recent interview with newsarama that Y had been optioned for a movie by new line

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103261

A movie would be pretty awesome but I'd much rather see Y The Last Man in a series than just a 2 hour movie. You could do so much more with a television show.

Pretty much every comic series would work better as a TV series. It's a lot smarter to go from serial format to serial format, and TV series can have special effects that are almost on the level of major blockbuster movies' these days.

A movie would be pretty awesome but I'd much rather see Y The Last Man in a series than just a 2 hour movie. You could do so much more with a television show.

or if one movie is a success it could end up turning into an 8 hr quadrilogy (love that word :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"