World Project Luminous

Orba

Sidekick
Reaction score
Not seen a massive amount of discussion about this so I figure that I would start something and it sounds like here might be the best place to put it.

For those that don't know "Project Luminous" is the codename for a mysterious new Star Wars project in development by Lucasfilm, it existence was announced last year but not much more. It seems to be a multimedia project that will span comics, novels, etc.

project-luminous-slide-nycc.jpg

Its expected that it will be fully revealed sometime this month but it seems some leaks have started to appear.

[Exclusive] Project Luminous covers the whole future of Star Wars • Ziro.hu

The new leak says that Project Luminous will be the introduction of a new era, the "High Republic", set around 300-400 years before the Skywalker Saga. And the plot of this new story would be about a group of Jedi setting off to explore the unknown regions of the galaxy, with the different Jedi having different strengths and abilities.

Making Star Wars have since come out and said that the new trilogy that Benioff and Weiss were supposed to make is set during this new time period.

Anyway I thought I would start this thread since if these leaks are true it sounds like this is Disney setting up a new era for them to place the future Star Wars films and stories.

Reactions: Bim
It's nonsensical to have the Jedi explore the Unknown Regions 300-400 years before the Skywalker era. Those regions are still Unknown at the time of the Skywalker era so any exploration of that region should happen in films set after Episode 9. And if they really wanted to distance themselves from the Sequel trilogy why not do a trilogy set 300 - 400 years after Episode 9? A time when the New Jedi Order is thriving and the Skywalkers, Solos, Rey, and Sidious are history and legendary figures.

I hate the way Disney is moving backwatds with the franchise. Rather than keeping the timeline moving forward and building off the Sequel Trilogy theyve tried to and failed miserably at wrapping things in a bow and arent doing anything with anything the Sequel trilogy set up.

I would probably prefer if it was the Old Republic but then Disney might be worried that if they used the Old Republic they would have fans complaining about them changing things, setting things in a new era gives them pretty much a blank slate as that peroid of time has never been touched by anyone as far as I'm aware.

The whole "superheroes" thing I assume will mean that they will feature characters who have rarer Force abililities, stuff like Ezra's affinity for animals, Quinlan Vos and Cal Kestis's ability to see events by touching objects, etc. They could even do stuff like Kyle Katarn in the EU who had amazing ability to create illusions but had almost no telekenetic abilities. It would make the Jedi abilities a bit more diverse, in the films we don't ever see differences in the strengths and abilities of Jedi outside of their skills with their lightsaber.

We could see connections to events made in future OT and ST content, there are rumours of Doctor Aphra stuff as well as a Rebels sequel coming, Aphra is an archeologist and Rebels will probably head into the Unknown regions in search of Erza and Thrawn.

One big thing I would say about this even if people don't like the choice of setting, and that is that if this rumour is true then this looks to be a large project that they have been planning for a couple of years with multiple writers, with films already planned. If that is the case then it could be assumed that they hopefully have a plan for things since a big criticism of the ST is that many of the story problems were due to a lack of a plan.

I'd rather it be set hundreds of years into the future.

But as long as they do something different then okay. At this point though it's just hard to get excited about Star Wars anymore. Woth the exception of Feige.

I'd like to see the next trilogy take the story forward with the new cast. They need to get some good writers and map out a trilogy focusing around the rebuilding of the galactic structure with Rey building a new Jedi order, exploring Finn's Force sensitivity, and what the heck do they do with all those leftover First Order people anyway. All the stuff they didn't have time to deal with in the last movie.

If they don't want to do a trilogy they could just make one standalone movie. But it seems like there's more potential to explore that could be built upon if they get the right writers.

I'm all for movies set way before TPM or way after the latest movies. Something with new characters and new adventures. Originality, please. Thanks.

I just hope there isn't a desert planet in the Unknown Regions. Or a jungle planet.

I have my own ideas for what they could do for the next trilogy of films which deals with Rey and co.

I'd make it separate from the saga films and instead start with Episode 1, 2, and 3 as opposed to doing 10-12.

I'd ground the story ,and lessen the stakes alot more than TROS and be closer to a dark , character driven story ala ESB and Rogue One.

I would play on the idea of TFA and TLJ that the force is awaking and there's an emergence of a new generation of forces users, not all of whom ,choose to be Jedi or Sith, and who are not related to someone famous.

Some who choose the light, some who choose the dark, and some who are in between.

The story would pick up several years after TROS. I'd actually have Rey at a bit of a crossroads.

She's saved the galaxy, she's found out who she is, she understands what she's capable of... but what comes next? Is being a Jedi all she wants from life?

She's never had the chance to really live for her self and to choose what she wants herself, so I'd have her confront that. Does she do what people expect of her or what she feels she has to do? or , does she go after what she wants ?

I think of it the typical superhero struggle of choosing between duty/responsibility and happiness.

I'd have Finn grow more and fore in touch with his force abilities in addition to his feelings for Rey growing stronger in addition to his connection to her.

I would revisit the Rey, Finn, and Rose dynamic, with Finn's feelings for Rey beginning to complicate the dynamics between the 3 of them. I think of it more like Luke, Leia , and Han pre- Leia being made Luke's sister.

I'd have Rose be a senator much like Padme was in AOTC and ROTS and I'd have Poe be a retired, well known General and war hero. He's settle down with a family but he's a bit bored and looking for adventure and excitement again.

Finn would be a bit like one of his old war buddies he goes drinking with and hangs out with, but at the end of the day, he's got to come to his family, so he doesn't go on the adventures he used to and he misses it.

As far as the villain goes, I would go with a mysterious and evil opponent who isn't part of the Empire/First Order and who truly is a "nobody". An enemy who isn't part of a government and who doesn't desire to rule but who is a force of destruction.

I'd have them be someone who Rey can't relate to nor easily beat. An opponent who is truly evil,powerful, and who thinks several steps ahead of her .

A type of foe who Rey, Finn, and Poe don't see coming and who keeps them off balance.

A foe who targets them personally as opposed to a foe with a larger grand plan to rule the universe

Last edited:
I just hope there isn't a desert planet in the Unknown Regions. Or a jungle planet.

The Unknown Regions are not completely "unknown", they are not the same as "Wild Space" which are the areas off the edge of the map. The Unknown Regions is the area on the western edge of the Star Wars space maps and while there are not many maps of it, it is not full Unknown, just a pain to navigate about in. Illum, Ach-To, Exegol are all in the Unknown Region, as well as the Chiss Ascendancy, Rakata Prime, and the Grysk Hegemony.

Now that TRoS is winding down, it's good to see they're moving ahead with whatever this is.

I expected something late this year at Best...but this soon? Dont know if that is good or Bad.
Lets see.

I hope it's good! I cant take any more bad lol

This thread needs to be moved to the Expanded Universe section. Project Luminous is a book and comic project about the High Republic set 2 centuries before TPM.

Lucasfilm Reveals Next Big Star Wars Publishing Project: The High Republic

Earlier this evening, Lucasfilm finally pulled the curtains back on its long-awaited Project Luminous: it will be a major cross-medium publishing project called The High Republic, set two centuries before The Phantom Menace.

The project will include 3 books and 2 comic series, written by authors Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott, and Charles Soule. The project is designed to keep fans engaged with Star Wars after the latest sequel trilogy, much as the publishing projects after the original and prequel trilogies did in the 1990s and 2000s.

The bigger story is that the Republic is at its height, and that it’s in the midst of a peaceful era, which is disrupted by a major threat at its borders — called “The Great Disaster.” The series will center on a core group of Jedi Knights — likened to the Texas Rangers and Knights of the Round Table, as they face off against a new threat.

That threat is a group known as the Nhil (pronounced Nile), who are described as Mad Max-like “space vikings.” The project had a couple of big inspirations: Obi-Wan Kenobi’s line in A New Hope, “For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic,” and a prompt from LFL President Kathleen Kennedy: “what would scare a Jedi?”

AAh so it's not a movie, ok. Well, sounds intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"