PROPOSAL: Age of Wonders- an Original Superhero RPG

Andy C.

Repent, Harlequin!
Reaction score
Screenname of the Proposed RPG’s Game Master: Andy C.

How will the overall layout of the RPG be?: It's an ongoing RPG set in an original universe, where players can create their own heroes and villains from scratch. Unlike the previous Create-A-Hero game, however, where superhumans were a relatively new development, in this game superheroes and villains have been a common occurrence since the 1930s. There's a legacy at work that spans generations, one that's shaped the course of human history, and one which players can actively take part in, or dismiss to create a legacy of their own.

Premise of the Game:

It's been seventy-six years since the world was turned on its head. Seventy-six years since the arrival of Ultiman, and the formation of the Seven Wonders. In that time, the world has changed almost completely.

It is difficult to imagine what life was like back before flying strong-men and hooded vigilantes filled our skies and patrolled our rooftops, before insurance providers had to start offering coverage for "acts of supervillainy."

Back before the titanic battles between the Seven Wonders and the sinister Shadow Society.

Before the horrors of World War II and the hordes of Nazi undead, before the UFO crash of '47 spread the extraterrestrial Genomorph virus across the world and turned 2% of the human population into unpredictable mutants.

Before the radioactive monster known as "Big Z" leveled Tokyo and claimed the Pacific as its hunting grounds. Before the world-famous adventurer Johnny Ransom, son of the legendary "Handsome" Jack Ransom, accompanied Neil Armstrong on the Apollo 11 and found the Dimensional Nexus on the dark side of the moon.

Before the Infinity War of 1986, culminating in Ultiman and his arch-rival Doctor Bedlam disappearing forever in the wash of the Multiverse.

It's been seventy-six years since people first looked up in the sky in awe, and a new generation of heroes has risen in the places of the old. Some of them don the masks and capes of their forebears, carrying on a legacy that spans decades. Others have set out to carve out a legacy of their own. And with these new heroes, a slew of new villains and threats emerges to challenge them.

A new Age of Wonders has begun.

What will this RPG bring to the RPG forums? (please write two complete sentences): Like CAH, it will give players the opportunity to flex their creative muscle and craft characters out of whole cloth. However, it will also give them plenty of history to utilize, and give us the feel of a lived-in world with the same kind of deep history and lore of DC or Marvel, but without the museum-like 'custodian' feel of dealing with actual comic legacies. More than anything, it will give us a new playground to have fun in.

Example Of Character Application:

Age Of Wonders, Volume I:
Character Application

Player's Screenname:

Character's Name: (Please include the font and color you wish to use for the character's dialogue)

Alignment: (Good, Evil, Neutral)

Approximate Power "Level": (Street/City Level, National Level, International Level, Cosmic Level)

Brief Description of Character's Powers:

Character's Origin:

Personality Traits: (Describe how the character acts in roughly 2-3 sentences)

Ideal: (Sum up the core "theme" the character follows in one word)

Bond/s: (Things, places, people, that the character has a strong attachment to)

Flaw/s: (Personality traits, physical weaknesses, anything that might hamper the character)

Please provide a small sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least one line of dialogue)

I'm currently working on the in-game history, going through each major era and what they might entail. I'm only going to focus on the broad strokes, which will allow players to fill in the blanks with whatever they want.

The Golden Age: "There's a New Day Comin'"

World War II: "Coming In On A Wing And A Prayer"

The Silver Age: "The Best Is Yet To Come"

The Bronze Age: "You Say You Want A Revolution"

The Chrome Age: "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

Coming Soon

The Dark Age: "Here We Are Now, Entertain Us"

Coming Soon

The Modern Age: "Does It Almost Feel Like Nothing's Changed At All?"

Last edited:
**** this is beautiful. Now I can create my ultimate hero: History Man.

Good gravy. I've wanted a game with kaiju involved forever. I'm definitely in

My character is a touch of Hellboy, BPRD, Buffy, the Winchesters, Constantine, and Shaun of the Dead thrown into one.

Weeeeeee!

You son of a b...

I'm playing SuperFerret. As he's come together, he borrows a bit from Hellboy, but, although he's definitely a supernatural character, his focus is more on the animal kingdom, so we won't have so much overlap where we'd make each other redundant.

Added write-ups for the Silver and Bronze Ages.

Is this still alive? Also, are there easier to read versions of the histories?

Only had four people say they want in, which isn't enough interest to launch the game.

Photobucket keeps re-sizing the histories, not sure how to fix that.

Alright, I’ve looked this over and you defined it pretty well (though I did have to download the pictures to read them properly) and I think the design is fairly good if you can finish explaining the timeline and all that nonsense. I’m interested.

Last edited:
Architect, from the Guild. Sentarous dragged me on over here, and so far, loving it. RP looks great, you've got my interest.

You have Nightrunner's attention as well

Okay, well that's enough people to get the OOC going. Which means now I don't have an excuse not to work on it....

Ha ha! You're being forced to work on something!

Yes.....ish. I just need to get my rear in gear in terms of getting it all set up.

Yes.....ish. I just need to get my rear in gear in terms of getting it all set up.

I know you already have this plot mostly figured out, but i've always been fascinated by the idea of a superhero rpg set during the golden or silver age. :yay:

One quick question concerning play-bys, you know. Pictures showing what your character looks like. Will we have to create our own looks for our characters, or will people have the option of of using pictures and drawings (Provided they credit the artist) that already exist. Just asking since...well, i can't draw. :(

You don't need to have a visual reference, although a description in the character application couldn't hurt.

Going to try and have a Sign-Up/OOC Thread up by the end of the week.

If it helps, I'm sure that interest will go up when the Sign-Up thread is posted. Hope you don't take that the wrong way, just speaking from experience. Either way if you need any help with your game, I'm happy to lend a hand. :)

Andy, do you know my only problem with your work? It's the fact that you also have 'a life'. Roleplaying would possibly be exponentially funner if you didn't, man.

I think even Andy wishes the responsibilities of adulthood were optional, hell even I relate to the days where it revolved around my activities online about thirteen years ago.

Wait.

Thirteen years ago?

God, I have been doing this way too long.

Gowster, everybody, I wanna say I'm glad to know you all. I'm sixteen as of a few days ago. It's hard to believe that I have known you all since I was fourteen. Well, most of you. Okay, some of you. I mean, sure, you guys have gotten oldsr too, but getting oldsr is getting to me. I'm getting a job soon, which ironically buys me more free time. Go figure. I've hated being a 'kid' my entire childhood. Responsibilities or not, I've always been happier away from my parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"