Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

Saw Sony's new video. The PS5 is a big boi. You literally have to screw in the base to set it up vertically.

I don't like this guy ever since his Escobar phone videos, but he's the first YouTuber I've come across that's done this comparison in person:

i prefer Series X's look. it's much simpler and elegant.

I will have to disagree, its not visually striking to look "elegant". It literally looks like a boX just with holes/buttons/disc slot. Imo from the unboXing videos, it looks worse compare to the ps5 while the ps5 looks better in the unboXing videos. Plus I'm hoping the customized plates would be available in the future asap, so for those don't look like the white would have an option to change the plates. Meanwhile, Series X/S are stuck to their visual look.

I will say, the memory issues I've been seeing about the systems is going to be rough.

I assume it is about the very small amount of storage space for some very large games coming out soon. And the cost of expanding that space is going to get very, very expensive.

Also, the PS5 at launch will NOT let you store PS5 games on an external storage drive. They say they are exploring adding that for a future update. However, imo, that is a HUGE omission to have at launch. Especially when the Series X lets you store next-gen games on an external drive. And, the PS5 also will NOT support the expandable internal ssd drive at launch, either.

what memory issues?
I assume it is about the very small amount of storage space for some very large games coming out soon. And the cost of expanding that space is going to get very, very expensive.
Yeah not to confuse with VRAM (small nitpick :hehe:).

Initially the expandable storage will be pricy but as months/years go by and more competitors start making SSDs we should get way more affordable storage especially on PS5 since any M2 SSD (PC) can be used in the console unlike the XSX.

Also, the PS5 at launch will NOT let you store PS5 games on an external storage drive. They say they are exploring adding that for a future update. However, imo, that is a HUGE omission to have at launch. Especially when the Series X lets you store next-gen games on an external drive. And, the PS5 also will NOT support the expandable internal ssd drive at launch, either.
I don't use an eXternal drive but that sounds ridiculous when I heard those from gameranX and there's not even an eXpandable ssd drive available for the ps5 games.

Really Sony, do you want our money or not, there's always a BUT it seems for everything.

I don't use an eXternal drive but that sounds ridiculous when I heard those from gameranX and there's not even an eXpandable ssd drive available for the ps5 games.

Really Sony, do you want our money or not, there's always a BUT it seems for everything.
yeah, it's just a glaringly HUGE omission.

It's like Sony was so focused on all the next-gen ssd, haptic feedback, dualsense, etc., that they overlooked this basic "quality of life" issue.

Especially when their custom ssd is already less than a standard 1TB, and offers just 667GB of usable space. Did no one at Sony ever consider what will happen when the user goes through that space fast after installing only a handful of PS5 games? Did they not think to offer some kind of solution to help free up storage space?

And again, the competition does it. It's definitely a head-scratcher and I hope they remedy it soon with an update.

yeah, it's just a glaringly HUGE omission.

It's like Sony was so focused on all the next-gen ssd, haptic feedback, dualsense, etc., that they overlooked this basic "quality of life" issue.

Especially when their custom ssd is already less than a standard 1TB, and offers just 667GB of usable space. Did no one at Sony ever consider what will happen when the user goes through that space fast after installing only a handful of PS5 games? Did they not think to offer some kind of solution to help free up storage space?

And again, the competition does it. It's definitely a head-scratcher and I hope they remedy it soon with an update.
To be fair, the XSX uses a proprietary SSD for the expandable storage made by a single manufacturer (Seagate) and it has similar speed to the internal SSD (less than 3 GB/s I think) which is common.

Meanwhile you can buy any off-the-shelf NVMe SSD for the PS5 but it has to meet the required speed (at least 5.5 GB/s) and I know only two brands so far that meet that (7 GB/s). For example, I can take my SSD out of my PC and put it in a PS5 and technically it will work.

Sony is probably still testing/certifying multiple SSDs but they haven't started the test program yet according to The Verge...

To be fair, the XSX uses a proprietary SSD for the expandable storage made by a single manufacturer (Seagate) and it has similar speed to the internal SSD (less than 3 GB/s I think) which is common.

Meanwhile you can buy any off-the-shelf NVMe SSD for the PS5 but it has to meet the required speed (at least 5.5 GB/s) and I know only two brands so far that meet that (7 GB/s). For example, I can take my SSD out of my PC and put it in a PS5 and technically it will work.

Sony is probably still testing/certifying multiple SSDs but they haven't started the test program yet according to The Verge...
Oh yeah. I understand that. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

And, I figured that Sony is holding off "enabling" the internal ssd expansion storage until they officially approve/certify those 3rd party ssds. I have less of a problem with that decision.

However, there is simply NO excuse for not allowing users to store (but not play) PS5 games on their external usb hard drives. Because while we wait for Sony to enable the internal ssd expansion, we will be needing some kind of solution to offload our PS5 games to save space on the default internal drive, other than having to constantly delete games.

There is simply no excuse to not have that option available at the start of a next gen. Especially when Xbox somehow can have that capability. In addition, Xbox has their proprietary expansion ssd cards ready to order. So, no matter which option you want, Xbox has you covered right out of the gate.

There's also plenty of ps5 games coming out this month - Ac, Watch Dogs, Cod, Nba, Dmc, Dead Souls, Miles, Astro, well there's atleast ten launch titles for the ps5. If I'm a digital only ps player that plays everything, I would seriously have to think about storage management and a lot of games would have to be uninstall right away.

I also think this should have been at least 1tb (including the system files) like the ps4 pro and its odd its just 825/667 gb.

There's also plenty of ps5 games coming out this month - Ac, Watch Dogs, Cod, Nba, Dmc, Dead Souls, Miles, Astro, well there's atleast ten launch titles for the ps5. If I'm a digital only ps player that plays everything, I would seriously have to think about storage management and a lot of games would have to be uninstall right away.

I also think this should have been at least 1tb (including the system files) like the ps4 pro and its odd its just 825/667 gb.
totally agree!

I love the look of my Series X. Just a beast in the living room.

Those loading times are awesome. So much wasted time saved. PS5 should have even faster times I would have thought.

Be wary, future PS5 owners. A lot of them are going to get stolen.

Brainless stuff. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"