Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

No love for Django or 8?

8 was good but not great and overly long.

Django is FIRE though. Bastards was crazy good as well to me.

Liked Basterds and Django, but to be honest I don’t think I’ve watched Hateful 8. Never really was a big fan of westerns, even if Django was one (sorta).

But Jackie Brown is him in top form man. Without the overindulgence and just telling a straight up crime story.

Should’ve been Pam’s Oscar and Tarantino’s second for best writing.

I need to watch Jackie Brown again. I haven't watched it in a long time and it's inexcusable because I own it on Blu-ray as part of that anniversary collection that came out 10 years ago. I think I was maybe 15 when I saw it for the first time, right around when I started getting into QT's stuff, and it's not really as accessible to a teenager compared to Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill since it's very much the least Tarantino-esque of all of his films because it's not his original story.

I need to watch Jackie Brown again. I haven't watched it in a long time and it's inexcusable because I own it on Blu-ray as part of that anniversary collection that came out 10 years ago. I think I was maybe 15 when I saw it for the first time, right around when I started getting into QT's stuff, and it's not really as accessible to a teenager compared to Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill since it's very much the least Tarantino-esque of all of his films because it's not his original story.

I own that set. It's the one where I saw his full cut of Death Proof on and it turned me around on that one a lot.

I own that set. It's the one where I saw his full cut of Death Proof on and it turned me around on that one a lot.
Death Proof is probably my least favorite of his films (and I'm sure I'm not alone there) but I don't think it's bad. It's got some great chase scenes and Kurt Russell and the cast are fun to watch for the most part but it's just bizarre to see Tarantino using not one but two groups of women as essentially his avatars in this with their obscure music and film references in casual conversation.

I'm lukewarm on Death Proof but it does have his greatest ending scene, lol.

That was a great cast of women in that movie. Rosario, the other chick from Rent, Zoe, Vanessa Ferlito… I loved them all.

Shi*** choices the second group of girls made, but that movie is one of my guilty pleasures lol.

Death Proof is probably my least favorite of his films (and I'm sure I'm not alone there) but I don't think it's bad. It's got some great chase scenes and Kurt Russell and the cast are fun to watch for the most part but it's just bizarre to see Tarantino using not one but two groups of women as essentially his avatars in this with their obscure music and film references in casual conversation.

Understandable.

Q makes films where everyone talks as he writes. The buy in to my mind is that we accept that because his films don't, for the most part, Dogs and Jackie standing as exceptions (hmm... Maybe 8 too as stylized as it is), all take place in his own reality seperate from our own where even the events of historical import bend to his vision, his story and characters. So while no doubt it's not at all realistic for those girls in the 2000's to have the obsessions Q does it doesn't phase me as he has drawn me into whatever world the film is projecting onto my mind so as to make it halfway between a detailed dream and fiction. I totally get how his ticks and overly pleased with itself, knowing dialog isn't for all and even among fans it can have a sell by date, but he almost always draws me in to a point I just give myself over regardless of usually being a stickler for grounded depth. I suppose one might even call what he does... Ungrounded depth, and textures.

Last edited:

It’ll be a shame when the Oscars don’t acknowledge this in the In Memoriam.

I’d kind of love it if Carpenter played along with this. “Yeah, I did turn him down and he can rot in Hell.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"