Rambo: Last Blood

Script and writing issues aside I really do think Stallone gives a damn good performance in this movie. As much as this didn't feel like your traditional Rambo film Stallone has some great lines in this that I could totally see John Rambo saying. I loved the little exchange he had with his surrogate niece about how he hasn't changed and is only keeping a lid on it. Very badass and honestly kind of tragic all at the same time.

As well as the big moment with John talking about giving him a family. The feels!!

As asked on the previous page, any flashbacks to young Rambo as hinted about with an actor cast to play him ?

Well I actually ended up enjoying this quite a bit, although I definitely think it's the weakest film in the franchise. Whenever Stallone is on screen it's great and the last 20 minutes of carnage is just the kind of gnarly, adrenaline fueled action that you want out of these kinds of movies, but man is the rest of it kind of rough. I didn't find the villains in this the least bit interesting or all that intimidating, and while I was never offended by the depiction of these cartel guys a lot of it is honestly pretty badly written, and they really do end up feeling more like caricatures than characters. Still I had a pretty damn good time watching this one.

7/10
I will see Last Blood tomorrow.
Right now, my least favorite is the fourth film.

For me yes that includes Rambo 3, but honestly I never understood the hate that movie got. I have always enjoyed it just as much as First Blood Part ll, but I know a lot of people feel differently about it.
Count me in as another fan of Rambo III.

First Blood - 9/10
Rambo(2008)- 8.5/10
Part II - 8/10
Part III - 7.5/10
Last Blood - 7/10

Why would they do that?

Why not? We know something was shot.

MV5BMjBlYjBhZDktOWVhOC00YWMyLWE0OTItY2UwNTE0Y2U4NGFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMwNDgzNjc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1396,1000_AL_.jpg

Two things. First, I haven’t seen the film yet but if what those reviews say is true, that’s really disappointing. I know that the Rambo series has never been the most woke franchise but the frequent casting of Latinx actors in movies as violent drug cartel members is getting as offensive as casting Middle-Eastern actors as terrorists.

Second, that young Rambo actor looks like Finn Wolfhard in 20 years.

I ain't offended and the audience I saw it with at the theater didn't seem offended. Which about 99% of us were latinos/mexican. We cheered for Rambo in the last showdown

That suppose younger Rambo must be a deleted scene because he isn't in the film

The housekeeper and her daughter that he loves deeply for like family are mexican. A mexican journalist along with a doctor helps him. He also tries to help mexican prostitutes escape

It's not all one sided

In all honesty I thought the girl's friend was the worst stereotype in the movie. Now, that character was badly written, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it offensive , although I can kind of see how some might see it that way. I call BS on the depiction of the cartel being racist though, because how else are these guys suppose to be portrayed? I mean do people seriously think that their are nice cartel members out there or is it that they still think that they don't exist? Either way of thinking is pretty damn ignorant IMO.

Every film in the franchise has stereotypes but I think it's meant to reflect about the worst kinds than being racist.

First Blood - Descriminating white hick town

Part II - Vietnam soldiers

Part III - Arabic army, Taliban or whatever

Rambo - Burma's army

Last Blood - Mexican Drug Cartels

But it's not always really one sided either..

Part II - John falls for a vietnamese woman

Part III - John becomes an ally and friend to a rebel community

Last Blood - I already mentioned

The thing with stereotypes and cliche's is they exist because they are frequent examples.

Apparently
Roger Moore Movie Reviews & Previews

I've read his reviews for films, and we tend to be polar opposites. I think his review of Spider-Verse (yes, that's how I gauge people) was negative because it wasn't Pixar enough. But I digress...

Good to see your review. I can never tell when people (NO OFFENSE MEANT TO ANYONE) are claiming something has racist overtones to them, or when it's just a matter of opinion. Then there are times when there are blatantly racist tones to it, which happens all the time, and is NOT cool. However, if a lot of the film takes place in Mexico, and there are Mexican PRO-tagonists and ANT-agonists, then that negates the racist connotations quite a bit. I mean, if there were a British guy in charge of the Mexican cartel members, isn't that more off-putting and, from a certain perspective, more racist?
Beats me. I'm just there to watch Sly kill bad folk. From what I've seen, he's an equal rights justice dispenser. Hoping to check this out sometime...although the wife wins the weekend. We'll be seeing Downton Abbey, which will be the only enemy Rambo doesn't slay this weekend.

I didn't think anyone disliked Into the Spider-Verse. :wow:

That's the key to me, as I say below the cartels and the terror threat from the middle eastern regions are the biggest threats law enforcement face today, I don't see why movies shouldn't represent that, the key is to show other people of these races that are fighting them as well, and indeed those that are the victims of them by simply being born in the same country and not sharing their mindset. Last Blood isn't trying to be social commentary but it features several Mexican characters who are good people, the soap box finger pointing is baseless as Stallone and this movie are an easy target, unlike a crtically acclaimed show that depicts the same kind of villains.

Two things. First, I haven’t seen the film yet but if what those reviews say is true, that’s really disappointing. I know that the Rambo series has never been the most woke franchise but the frequent casting of Latinx actors in movies as violent drug cartel members is getting as offensive as casting Middle-Eastern actors as terrorists.

The thing to me is that movies in this genre have often used the big real world threats of the day as the bad guys, the recent Jack Ryan series that got lots of praise had Middle Eastern terrorists that want to kill the infidels of the West, because that's reality, but there were other Middle Eastern characters in the show that were trying to stop them and were against them, same in Rambo, the biggest victims of the cartels are Mexican people, particularly the young girls that are taken and used up by the evil that runs these outfits, I bet Mexican audiences love seeing Rambo carving these guys up because they represent something that is a bigger threat to them than us whitey's and who their governments are afraid of, and the people who suffer are the good Mexican people, as reflected in this film.

The alternative is to invent a bunch of bad guys like in Hobbs & Shaw that have no connection to anything in the real world, but shows and movies about the CIA and FBI are going to focus on the real threats and that's not Mexicans and Middle Eastern people, it's the cartels and terrorists that happen to come from those parts of the world, it's not sterotyping, it's reality.

It’s a fine line to walk with this stuff and like I said, I haven’t seen it so I don’t know how well the film handles these things; I’m just going off of some of the reviews. But while drug cartels and terrorists that originate from the Middle East are real threats, there has been a common complaint among actors that the only roles available to them in a lot of mainstream films and TV shows has been either as members of these groups or playing the good guys in a movie about those groups. I believe that criticism has mostly been from Middle Eastern actors but I believe Latinx actors have also expressed this sentiment. Conversely, white supremacist terrorism has been (I think) the top terrorist threat in the United States for years now and I doubt you’d find many white actors complaining that the only jobs they can get are movies about fighting against Nazis and KKK members.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Every film in the franchise has stereotypes but I think it's meant to reflect about the worst kinds than being racist.

First Blood - Descriminating white hick town

Part II - Vietnam soldiers

Part III - Arabic army, Taliban or whatever

Rambo - Burma's army

Last Blood - Mexican Drug Cartels

But it's not always really one sided either..

Part II - John falls for a vietnamese woman

Part III - John becomes an ally and friend to a rebel community

Last Blood - I already mentioned

Well in Part III the main villain is really the Russian Colonel or whatever. For that matter the top villain in Part II is also Steven Berkoff's Russian military officer "advising" the Viet Cong.

It’s a fine line to walk with this stuff and like I said, I haven’t seen it so I don’t know how well the film handles these things; I’m just going off of some of the reviews. But while drug cartels and terrorists that originate from the Middle East are real threats, there has been a common complaint among actors that the only roles available to them in a lot of mainstream films and TV shows has been either as members of these groups or playing the good guys in a movie about those groups. I believe that criticism has mostly been from Middle Eastern actors but I believe Latinx actors have also expressed this sentiment. Conversely, white supremacist terrorism has been (I think) the top terrorist threat in the United States for years now and I doubt you’d find many white actors complaining that the only jobs they can get are movies about fighting against Nazis and KKK members.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

I think they are two different issues though, the film is getting heat for having a Mexican cartel as the bad guys, which makes no sense as they are real life bad guys and have been used as the villains in loads of movies and shows, in none of them are the makers saying all Mexican people are bad, they saying these cartels are because it's true. Now, the problem of middle eastern and Latino actors not getting offered say a role in a regular procedural, or a medical show or a lawyer show etc....yes, I think that is an issue, especially wirth middle eastern actors as you rarely ever see them in everyday roles, it's always in a show dealing with terrorism whether they are protagonists or antagonists, and I know a lot of Latin actors often only get offered gang banger or cartel roles, but I think that is changing a bit, for instance the new Magnum is Latin.

Just watched Last Blood. It was entertaining but it’s a hair above Rambo III. The movie really felt like it took a left turn (for the better)after a certain person kicked the bucket (motivation for Rambo). I’m a little disappointed because I really enjoyed 4 and was anxious to see what was in store for Rambo after saving Burma.

And my rankings (if anyone cares):
First Blood 9/10
Rambo 8.5/10
Rambo II 7/10
Last Blood 6/10
Rambo III 5/10

Last edited:
Rambo: The Force of Freedom......yes i watched the animated show...when i was a child !!

PRAISE: Sylvester Stallone struck a few emotional chords in a few scenes in the movie as Rambo is now enjoying a quiet life on a farm,working horses and looking after his "niece' Gabrielle (Yvette Monreal) and her grandmother.
But when Gabrielle doesnt return to Arizona after going to Mexico and crossing paths with sinister characters the old Rambo comes back full throttle.
The action was intense and brutal as Rambo sets up hyped up and deadly Home Alone traps that cause all types of bodily harm.
At times it's extremely over the top but i enjoyed it but be warned it's not for the faint of heart as henchmen are completely obliterated !!

PROBLEMS : Extremely predictable and cliched script .As soon as certain characters were introduced ,and without them speaking a word i knew what they were all about.
I have to admit i couldnt understand what Stallone was saying a couple of times.

But if you're a Rambo fan this is a must see !!

Scale of 1-10 a 7

I liked the film as I've said and also give it a 7/10 but I admit that whenever I'll be seeing this again, it'll just be the final showdown..everytime

Love the finale and ending so much!

Rambo: Last Blood is 10 minutes longer in some countries

"A prologue involving Rambo attempting to rescue some hikers during a flash flood was "cut at the last minute"... but it was cut for the theatrical release in the US, Canada, and the UK. Other countries still have this sequence at the head of the film. While my local listings in the US say RAMBO: LAST BLOOD has an 89 minute running time, listings in countries where the flood sequence is still intact tend to give a running time of 101 minutes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"