Stallone blames Batman 89 for decline in Action Heroes

zmystico

Civilian
Reaction score
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-sylvester-stallone-blames-batman.html

Sylvester Stallone Blames 'Batman' for Decline of '80s Action Heroes

by Matt McDaniel · July 21, 2010
200x250_expendabnles_stallone_072110.jpg

Back in the 1980s, they were the biggest stars in Hollywood, both in terms of box-office receipts and bicep circumference. But the glory days of the brawny action heroes -- Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Van Damme, and the like -- eventually faded. In their place, a new breed of '90s star took over: younger, leaner, and nowhere near as macho. By decade's end, Keanu Reeves was a huge action star (shudder to think).
Where did it all go wrong? According to an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Sylvester Stallone puts the blame squarely on the caped shoulders of one comic book hero.

"It was the first 'Batman' movie," Stallone told the Times, in reference to the 1989 movie adaptation starring Michael Keaton as the Caped Crusader. He went on to say, "The action movies changed radically when it became possible to Velcro your muscles on," a clear dig at how the trim Keaton was encased in a sculpted Batsuit for the film. Stallone joked, "I wish I had thought of Velcro muscles myself... "I didn't have to go to the gym for all those years."

Stallone adds that the director Tim Burton's stylish take on the superhero story changed what audiences expected from an action flick: "It was the beginning of a new era. The visual took over. The special effects became more important than the single person. That was the beginning of the end."
It's ironic, then, that Stallone will be going to this year's San Diego Comic-Con -- the center for all things geeky -- to promote his upcoming movie, "The Expendables," which is a true throwback to the action hits of the '80s. In the film, Stallone (who also directed) leads a team of mercenaries to overthrow a corrupt South American dictator. It costars Jason Statham, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews, and even Stallone's "Rocky IV" nemesis, Dolph Lundgren.

"The Expendables" is also notable for being the first time Stallone has appeared on-screen with fellow '80s icons Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis. Stallone told the Times that each of them had their own on-screen persona which made set them apart from one another: "Arnold was king of the one-liners. Bruce was witty and talkative... And I was pretty silent." He added that their differences made it impossible for him to see himself in his friend's signature roles. "Arnold was relentless, like this perfect machine. People asked if I could have played the Terminator. Are you kidding? Not a chance, I never could have played the Terminator."
As it happens, Bruce Willis will be at Comic-Con this weekend promoting his upcoming movie "Red," which also is an action flick about an aging team of experts. It stars Oscar-winners Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren.
Stallone will preview "The Expendables" at Comic-Con on Thursday, and the movie will muscle its way into movie theaters on August 13.

Ok, I love Stallone's films but exactly what special effects in Batman 1989 were used that Rambo didn't? Seriously can you rip Batman 1989 and have Rambo jumping from mountains and pulling arrows and setting his body on fire? I think I took the most exception from the remark of hinting that Keaton had velcro muscles in his suit and that he didn't have to work out like Stallone did...well even in the movie those "muscles" were in fact part of his armor! I don't think there is any CGI in B89, and CGI is what killed action heroes.

If there was a huge influx of movies where the hero velcros on muscles after Batman then he would have a point but other than the Batman franchise what movies had heroes with fake muscles?

I think the decline was more to the fact that the General Publc realised how shallow and phony action movies tended to be, with no real substance to them,a good number of which Stallone starred in. If anything, he himself needs to share in the blame.

If there was a huge influx of movies where the hero velcros on muscles after Batman then he would have a point but other than the Batman franchise what movies had heroes with fake muscles?

Meteor Man :hehe:

I think the decline was more to the fact that the General Publc realised how shallow and phony action movies tended to be, with no real substance to them,a good number of which Stallone starred in. If anything, he himself needs to share in the blame.

Exactly.

It was just the times changing. It can't be blamed on any single thing.

I agree with Sly. Only that I'd change "blame" by "thank." :)

Plus, of course it was the decline of the 1980's action movies. It was 1989 for Hank's sake!

EDIT: Wait, wasn't this the guy who starred "Judge Dredd" a couple of years later? :cwink:

Last edited:
This comment was made years back by him, why is it once again being brought up?

Stallone needs to get over it.

Tim Burton and Michael Keaton's Batman movies are not at all to blame for the lack of success of some of Sylvester Stallone's and others action movies after 1989. The reason for why some of Sylvester Stallone's and others action movies were not successful was simply because they are not good movies. Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot is not a good movie. Judge Dredd is not a good movie. Get Carter, Driven, Avenging Angelo, D-Tox are all crappy movies. Sylvester Stallone has himself to blame for making those movies. Also Arnold Schwarzenegger's Last Action Hero, The 6th Day, etc., were not successful because they were simply not good movies. But there have also been plenty of successful non-superhero action movies since 1989: The Fugitive, Terminator 2, Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan, the Kill Bill series, Sin City, No Country For Old Men, Inglourious Bastards, Cliffhanger, The Matrix films, James Bond films, etc.

Last edited:
Stallone is an idiot, there were still action movies after Batman, what he should say is there was a decline in his career, 'cause he made stupid movies. He had like one hit in the 90's. so he should blame himself for his own career, not "rubber muscles". I like Stalone, don't get me wrong, but I love BATMAN, so back off Judge Dredd. :whatever:

Sorry if I sound harsh, but like I said I'm a Batman Fan. And the decline in action movies was 'cause after awhile poeple would rather see movies with a good story, not the same old dumb action flick. Even some of the
Superhero movies that were just okay, were better than most action movies. Still look at Arnold's movies, they were all pretty good, and better than anything Stallone ever did, I'm sure even though they're 'friends', he probably does resent Arnold's career.

And the only Super Hero I can remember wearing rubber muscles was Batman. And part of was to look cool, and Burton's vision of how Bruce Wayne wouldn't look the part of the Super Hero, not being suspected of being the Dark Knight.

But I am glad that now, even though Batman has a 'rubber suit' There are real muscles under the suit. He can wear all the molded muscles he wants but, the Hero has to have the strength to back up what he's doing while fighting the bad guys. Well, Batman just has plating now over his body suit.

Oh yeah, and Spawn had a rubber suit. forgot about that one, though I'm sure not many want to remember that movie.

The era of ridiculously muscled, increasingly dumb action movies with higher and higher body counts went on for most of that decade: look at this list of titles and see how they span the 1980s - First Blood, The Terminator, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Commando, Predator, Cobra, Rambo III, Raw Deal, on and on. It's like saying Scream killed off the slasher movie. When a (sub)genre feeds on itself for so long, at some point it just needs a kick in the pants. Batman and its huge success brought the action-adventure movie (although that movie isn't really action-adventure, but it's been branded as such) back to something with substance of character.

The era of ridiculously muscled, increasingly dumb action movies with higher and higher body counts went on for most of that decade: look at this list of titles and see how they span the 1980s - First Blood, The Terminator, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Commando, Predator, Cobra, Rambo III, Raw Deal, on and on. It's like saying Scream killed off the slasher movie. When a (sub)genre feeds on itself for so long, at some point it just needs a kick in the pants. Batman and its huge success brought the action-adventure movie (although that movie isn't really action-adventure, but it's been branded as such) back to something with substance of character.

Exactly.

Pathetic as it may be...Brandon Routh wore a padded muscle suit under the Superman costume. Christopher Reeve wore a pair of cheap thin long johns with no padding and managed to look 1000x better than Routh did :dry:

The action films of the 1980's were awesome but the genre badly declined in the late 80's/90's with loads of crappy films from the genre and to be honest, Batman 1989, Batman Returns and Terminator 2: Judgment Day saved us from all the *****y action flicks from the decline era. Most embarrassingly the f***ing awesome foreign Hong-Kong action films of John Woo put Hollywood action films to shame in the late 80's/90's decline era. But in 1999, The Matrix rejuvenated the action genre from being dead/declined and other films following have all been mentioned by Man-Bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"