Rank 'Em - Season 6 (So far)

New Rankings:

(I love how I keep going back on myself and reversing some of the older eps. Some just age better than others. ;))

Promise
Zod
Freak
Crimson
Labyrinth
Arrow
Justice
Hydro
Reunion
Rage
Fallout
Sneeze
Trespass
Wither
Subterranean
Static

Okay, I'm going to give this a shot.

1. Labyrinth
2. Justice
3. Zod
4. Promise
5. Crimson
6. Fallout
7. Hydro
8. Arrow
9. Freak
10. Rage
11. Trespass
12. Sneeze
13. Reunion
14. Subterranean
15. Wither

126.Static

This season has been really great, far as I'm concerned. Makes it more difficult to rank. But here goes:

1. Zod
2. Justice
3. Crimson
4. Promise
5. Labyrinth
6. Arrow
7. Hydro
8. Reunion
9. Fallout
10. Freak
11. Rage
12. Sneeze
13. Trespass
14. Subterranean
15. Wither
16. Static

The top 7 is very close for me, I really, really enjoyed them.

Holy crap. I'm behind 4 episodes with my list!

New list... this may not be entirely accurate. But it's the best I can recollect right now.

1. Promise
2. Labyrinth
3. Crimson
4. Zod
5. Justice
6. Hydro
7. Trespass
8. Arrow
9. Freak
10. Reunion
11. Fallout
12. Sneeze
13. Rage
14. Subterranean
15. Static
16. Wither

New list:

1. Labyrinth - 5.0
  2. Promise - 5.0
  3. Crimson - 5.0
  4. Arrow - 5.0
  5. Zod - 5.0
  6. Hydro - 4.5
  7. Justice - 4.5
  8. Reunion - 4.5
  9. Fallout - 4.5
  10. Rage - 4.0
  11. Sneeze - 4.0
  12. Wither - 3.5
  13. Subterranean - 3.5
  14. Static - 2.0

Promise was nearly perfect, and I don't give 5's out lightly, but not quite as outstanding as Labyrinth IMO...

:up:

New list:
  1. Labyrinth - 5.0
  2. Promise - 5.0
  3. Crimson - 5.0
  4. Arrow - 5.0
  5. Zod - 5.0
  6. Hydro - 4.5
  7. Justice - 4.5
  8. Reunion - 4.5
  9. Fallout - 4.5
  10. Rage - 4.0
  11. Sneeze - 4.0
  12. Wither - 3.5
  13. Subterranean - 3.5
  14. Static - 2.0
Promise was nearly perfect, and I don't give 5's out lightly, but not quite as outstanding as Labyrinth IMO...

:up:

You havent got Trespass or Freak in there. Where would you put those two?

You havent got Trespass or Freak in there. Where would you put those two?

Oops... copied and pasted the wrong list...

1. Labyrinth - 5.0
  2. Promise - 5.0
  3. Crimson - 5.0
  4. Arrow - 5.0
  5. Zod - 5.0
  6. Hydro - 4.5
  7. Justice - 4.5
  8. Reunion - 4.5
  9. Fallout - 4.5
  10. Freak - 4.0
  11. Trespass - 4.0
  12. Rage - 4.0
  13. Sneeze - 4.0
  14. Wither - 3.5
  15. Subterranean - 3.5
  16. Static - 2.0

1º Zod
2º Labyrinth
3º Promise
4º Justice
5º Fallout
6º Crimson
7º Arrow
8º Sneeze
9º Subterranean
10º Reunion
11º Hydro
12º Freak
13º Rage
14º Trespass
15º Wither
16º Static

As of 3/22 ("Combat"):

Justice
Labyrinth
Crimson
Arrow
Zod

Freak
Fallout
Trespass
Reunion
Hydro
Combat

Promise
Rage
Subterranean
Sneeze
Wither
Static

Blue=favorites, red=good, black=meh, green=what were they thinking?

1. Labyrinth - 5.0
  2. Promise - 5.0
  3. Crimson - 5.0
  4. Arrow - 5.0
  5. Zod - 5.0
  6. Hydro - 4.5
  7. Justice - 4.5
  8. Combat - 4.5
  9. Reunion - 4.5
  10. Fallout - 4.5
  11. Freak - 4.0
  12. Trespass - 4.0
  13. Rage - 4.0
  14. Sneeze - 4.0
  15. Wither - 3.5
  16. Subterranean - 3.5
  17. Static - 2.0

New Rankings:

(I love how I keep going back on myself and reversing some of the older eps. Some just age better than others.
I have the same "problem." The order of my list tends to change slightly as I rewatch older episodes. This is how I feel today:

Wow, just WOW!
1. Labyrinth
2. Crimson
3. Justice
4. Zod

Very, very good
5. Arrow
6. Combat
7. Fallout
8. Hydro

Good/Average
9. Freak
10. Reunion
11. Promise
12. Rage
13. Sneeze

Eh... could have been better, but not horrible
14. Subterranean
15. Wither
16. Trespass

"Spirit Award" for Worst Episode of the Season
17. Static

The top three are pretty much interchangeable in terms of their amazingness. I rewatch Justice the most; it's the episode I would recommend people watch from this season if they were new to the show. That said, I don't have the heart to bump Labyrinth out of first place, and Crimson... well... that was just teh sexy, so I didn't want to move that one either. LOL

^^^ Yeah, my list would look pretty much like that too Pat but I would move Promise to the Wow just Wow category.

*Updated

Justice
Zod
Labyrinth
Fallout/Crimson (can't decide which is better)
Promise
Combat
Freak
Arrow
Hydro
Reunion
Tresspass
Rage
Sneeze
Subterranean
Wither
Static

The top five episodes are tricky because there's been some stellar episodes this season.:super:

^^^ Yeah, my list would look pretty much like that too Pat but I would move Promise to the Wow just Wow category.
It's hard, because my method for ranking in this context is:

1. Re-watchability and my proclivity for doing so.
2. Quality (acting, writing, production, etc.)
3. Overall importance to the character and his story, because it's all about Clark. LOL

For me, Promise got an A+ for its acting, direction, sets and music, but failed miserably in its writing. And because I feel it regressed Clark to an unnecessary degree, I'm not predisposed to want to watch it repeatedly. On top of everything, it's depressing. Unlike episodes like Reckoning, which had The. Greatest. First. Act. Ever!, there was no over-the-top joyous moments in Promise to balance out the melancholy. So the only thing that makes it a great episode is its production value and performances.

That may be enough for some folks, but SV is entertainment. If the only entertainment I get is scrutinizing the differences in character POV between scenes, it becomes more of an exercise and less of a joyful ride. That's not to say you can't have both; Hidden is a perfect example of a phenomenally entertaining episode that was also chock full of symbolism and metaphor, love, loss, action and character development - especially for Clark. Promise didn't come close to delivering that kind of entertainment, and most certainly not enough for me to say "Wow, what an amazing episode." It just wasn't.

But that's just me. :O

I have no idea what to do with my rankings at this point. It seems like every week there's a really strong episode that I think "Wow, that was the best of the season." But then when I look back at it, it still wasn't good as "Episode A" or wasn't as rewatchable as "Episode B".

I might have to hold off on the rankings until the end of the season. *sigh*

I have no idea what to do with my rankings at this point. It seems like every week there's a really strong episode that I think "Wow, that was the best of the season." But then when I look back at it, it still wasn't good as "Episode A" or wasn't as rewatchable as "Episode B".

I might have to hold off on the rankings until the end of the season. *sigh*
Indeed. It's quite difficult, because as the weeks go forward, I find myself rewatching episodes more than their placement on my "list" would indicate. Justice is a perfect example. I think I have that ep memorized. LOL

1º Zod
2º Labyrinth
3º Promise
4º Justice
5º Fallout
6º Crimson
7º Arrow
8º Combat
9º Sneeze
10º Subterranean
11º Reunion
12º Hydro
13º Freak
14º Rage
15º Trespass
16º Wither
17º Static

Indeed. It's quite difficult, because as the weeks go forward, I find myself rewatching episodes more than their placement on my "list" would indicate. Justice is a perfect example. I think I have that ep memorized. LOL

Ya see, I thought Justice was a great fun episode, but I didnt like the way Clark was written in that episode, or maybe I didnt like the way Ollie was treating Clark in that episode, particularly after Hydro where Clark went out of his way to help Ollie with a personal matter.

Whereas with Promise, while yeah it was depressing and Clark seemed to go back on his earlier decision regarding his relationship with Lana, I thought that he had found a new level of maturity regarding his relationship with her and that he had also learnt alot by pushing her away initially, which justified his reasons for wanting to rekindle things with her.

I thought the proposal was a little much, but I could see where he was coming from. He was offering her stability.

This is tough because there are pieces of every episode that are epic, pieces that don't always make sense, and pieces that could be cool pending further development. But here goes and I'll be prepared to look back later and wonder what I was thinking.

Justice
Labyrinth
Arrow
Promise
Zod
Sneeze
Combat
Crimson
Static
Freak
Trespass
Fallout
Reunion
Hydro
Subterranean
Rage
Wither

Ya see, I thought Justice was a great fun episode, but I didn't like the way Clark was written in that episode, or maybe I didn't like the way Ollie was treating Clark in that episode, particularly after Hydro where Clark went out of his way to help Ollie with a personal matter.
Clark has been treated worse than a doormat in many episodes, and often by the people he cares most about. But he takes it. He deals. It's what separates him from anybody else who would have torched the place in a blaze of heat vision LOL. Now, I don't particularly like it when he's mistreated and taken advantage of. In fact, it bugs me to no end. But his desire to help others despite how others treat him is what makes him very special.

Whereas with Promise, while yeah it was depressing and Clark seemed to go back on his earlier decision regarding his relationship with Lana, I thought that he had found a new level of maturity regarding his relationship with her and that he had also learnt alot by pushing her away initially, which justified his reasons for wanting to rekindle things with her. I thought the proposal was a little much, but I could see where he was coming from. He was offering her stability.
The inconsistencies bug me more than his actual decision. Under the influence of RedK, a condition that puts him in a very truthful demeanor (if not a bit dangerous as well), he stated what he's always wanted is for Lana to be happy. But in Promise, his motivation is obviously a little more personal. Compound this with the flip-flopping advice from Martha and Chloe, not to mention Lana's hesitancy on her wedding day to marry Lex and her subsequent intention of breaking it off with him on a post-it note after tricking Clark into revealing his abilities - a secret she KNEW he purposely chose not to tell her [*breathe* run-on-sentence LOL], I just felt the writers royally messed up the characterizations in that ep.

Justice was fun and exciting and had a great story. Did they side-line Clark? Yeah, a bit. Was it necessary? Yeah, pretty much. Clark didn't need "help" to rescue Bart. But like DeKnight said, Clark is just WAY too powerful and they had to slow him down somehow. As to how Ollie treated Clark... meh. You know how I feel about Ollie, right? :D

Anyhoo, one of the ways I know I like a particular episode (besides wanting to watch it again), is how many scenes I find myself fast forwarding through after having seen the ep the first ten times. Labyrinth is the ONLY episode so far this season that I don't forward through at all. Gee, wonder why that is? LOL ;)

Guess I need to stick Combat in here somewhere. This IS tough. I'd need a season 6 marathon night (with note-taking) to really be accurate with this. I'm always so enthused about an ep. right after it airs.

Combat's threadbare storyline and poor use of Lois knocks it down a few notches on my list - but the amazing fight scene and good performances redeem it.

1. Promise
2. Labyrinth
3. Crimson
4. Zod
5. Justice
6. Hydro
7. Trespass
8. Arrow
9. Freak
10. Reunion
11. Combat
12. Fallout
13. Sneeze
14. Rage
15. Subterranean
16. Static
17. Wither

The latest...

Wow, just WOW!
1. Labyrinth *
2. Crimson *
3. Justice *
4. Zod

Very, very good
5. Arrow
6. Combat
7. Nemesis
8. Fallout
9. Hydro

Good/Average
10. Freak
11. Reunion
12. Promise
13. Progeny
14. Rage
15. Sneeze

Eh... could have been better, but not horrible
16. Subterranean
17. Wither
18. Trespass

"Spirit Award" for Worst Episode of the Season
19. Static

* As always, the order of the first three are interchangeable. I've considering listing them as 1a, 1b, and 1c. Even though Justice is #3 on the list, it has become by far, my most-watched episode this season.

Guess I need to stick Combat in here somewhere. This IS tough. I'd need a season 6 marathon night (with note-taking) to really be accurate with this. I'm always so enthused about an ep. right after it airs.

Combat's threadbare storyline and poor use of Lois knocks it down a few notches on my list - but the amazing fight scene and good performances redeem it.

1. Promise
2. Labyrinth
3. Crimson
4. Zod
5. Justice
6. Hydro
7. Trespass
8. Arrow
9. Freak
10. Reunion
11. Combat
12. Fallout
13. Sneeze
14. Rage
15. Subterranean
16. Static
17. Wither
I love your avvy, Rene. I realized while re-watching the ep the other night hwo much I loved the framing of that shot. I think I liked it best right towards the end of the shot when Clark turns his head away from them. Nice crop job, too.
I'm also a fan of Promise being at the top of your list. I was really wowed by that one.

And this is my first attempt at this kind of a list, so bear with me...

Promise
Fallout
Justice
Nemesis
Zod
Labyrinth
Arrow
Progeny
Crimson
Trespass
Freak
Combat