Eternals Rate and Review the Eternals

Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek - though nice to look at - are not and never have been great actors. I was disappointed the moment i heard about their casting

You know, I feel like there isn’t much of a point to direct sequels in the MCU anymore. With characters showing up across different films, direct sequels just seem redundant. Even though we haven’t had Doctor Strange 2 yet, I feel like we’ve had three unofficial sequels with him already.

You know, I feel like there isn’t much of a point to direct sequels in the MCU anymore. With characters showing up across different films, direct sequels just seem redundant. Even though we haven’t had Doctor Strange 2 yet, I feel like we’ve had three unofficial sequels with him already.
There was never a direct sequel, aside from Iron Man 2.

Time will tell if this one gets a direct sequel. I can see a couple of characters appearing in other mcu films before Eternals 2 is released.

Time will tell if this one gets a direct sequel. I can see a couple of characters appearing in other mcu films before Eternals 2 is released.

How so?

Uhhh not sure what you’re talking about. There have been sequels for all the avengers. They all continued the story started in the first movie.

Uhhh not sure what you’re talking about. There have been sequels for all the avengers. They all continued the story started in the first movie.
Thor appeared in Avengers 2012 before T2. Captain America appeared in Avengers 2012 before The Winter Soldier.

I don't know how you can watch T2/Ca2 and not watch Avengers 2012 to get the full picture. Isn't that what you referring about not having direct sequels.

I don’t think you have to watch The Avengers in order to understand Thor 2 or Captain America 2 or Iron Man 3. If you know the basic gist of the events in The Avengers then you can get away with seeing the sequels as stand-alones. I feel like they’re more sequels to the characters’ origin movie than to the Avengers movie or anything in between.

I don’t think you have to watch The Avengers in order to understand Thor 2 or Captain America 2 or Iron Man 3. If you know the basic gist of the events in The Avengers then you can get away with seeing the sequels as stand-alones. I feel like they’re more sequels to the characters’ origin movie than to the Avengers movie or anything in between.
But see, even the person has to know the basic gist of the Avengers not to get lost. Thats what I meant when I said Iron Man 2 is the only direct sequel - as in you don't need to know anything about TIH/Tony's cameo in order to get the movie. If I didn't see Avengers, I would wonder so much why Tony has PTSD in Iron Man 3 and referencing aliens.

No I think the movies explain very well what you missed in The Avengers so that those films make sense on their own

Yeah they explained Tony’s PTSD in Iron Man 3 enough for you to understand how he got it, without having to actually watch The Avengers.

My problem with Iron Man 3 is that they shallowly resolved the PTSD and panic attacks and shoved it to the side in the third act when it never truly went away for Tony.

My guess is that they wanted it to be an "ending" of sorts for Iron Man and Tony in case he wasn't coming back, but like the setup to all that was good but the way it was handled in the second half was garbage.

But there are plenty of existing direct sequels in the MCU.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 for that matter.

Last edited:
You know, the mixed reactions made my hopes really low, but I really enjoyed this film. I think people are just taken aback by how it doesn't really follow the MCU "formula". It's very plot focused, told on an epic scale and I think they handled the required exposition quite well. There are a lot of genuine laughs, but unlike many MCU movies, the comedy never undercuts a serious or emotional moment, which I really appreciated. The weight of emotional scenes is really allowed to breathe, and while I think some characters didn't get enough screen-time, that's just the nature of an ensemble movie like this. I genuinely can't understand the negative reviews now that I've seen it, I think it's the pure shock of expecting a certain type of film from the MCU and getting something a little different.
- Review of a moderator in Reddit​

In general, it tried to fix all the main criticism against the MCU.
My hype for this one is still there. :hrt:

Imo, Nomadland shows dull IS her style
I fell asleep like 10 minutes into it lol

I dont think they neutered it, I just think she may not be a great fit for the genre

Yeah, it's like a director of thoughtful, introspective but well-shot and visually pretty looking indie films turns out to NOT be good at big budget, epic comic book action adventure films....who knew?

For me, the only good news about this critically failing, is this didn't happen with the reboot of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. Those two already got a handful of bad movies.

This should really give new notes/lessons to Marvel Studios moving forward. They were doing so well with the critiXs since 2014, and this might be their new worst reviewed film.I can't believe the most recent Oscar winning director is breaking their streak.

It's kinda poetic though IMO. My most unpopular opinion and this might take away my cinephile card, is that most Oscar bait films are not very good. We are told to love them and accept that they are good because they are supposed to be "real cinema". Nomadland was a very dull film IMO. I didn't hate it but it will go down as one of the most forgettable best picture winners ever(like most of the Oscar BP winners since like the late 2000s lol).
Like I said before, I prefer Ryan Coogler's, James Gunn, Taika's non MCU film work to Chloe's. That's why I was so confused why some were saying Marvel hiring her was like the best thing ever when they clearly have hired very talented directors who have delivered before.

Sadly not available in my area

But see, even the person has to know the basic gist of the Avengers not to get lost. Thats what I meant when I said Iron Man 2 is the only direct sequel - as in you don't need to know anything about TIH/Tony's cameo in order to get the movie. If I didn't see Avengers, I would wonder so much why Tony has PTSD in Iron Man 3 and referencing aliens.

What do you really have to know other than a bunch of heroes teamed up to defeat Loki?

The only real connective tissue is really the infinity stones. And that was explained again. And that there was a falling out in Civil War.

The MCU isn't that complicated. That's part of the reason for its success.

What do you really have to know other than a bunch of heroes teamed up to defeat Loki?

The only real connective tissue is really the infinity stones. And that was explained again. And that there was a falling out in Civil War.

The MCU isn't that complicated. That's part of the reason for its success.
I neither said its complicated, nor its a requirement to watch Avengers 2012 to understand Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Winter Soldier.

The movie is still a "major " event that is set between Iron Man 2 and 3, First Avenger and Winter Soldier, Thor 1 and Dark World. Thats why I don't consider Ir3, TWS and TDW as a "direct" sequel to IR2, TFA and T1 respectively.

I neither said its complicated, nor its a requirement to watch Avengers 2012 to understand Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Winter Soldier.

The movie is still a "major " event that is set between Iron Man 2 and 3, First Avenger and Winter Soldier, Thor 1 and Dark World. Thats why I don't consider Ir3, TWS and TDW as a "direct" sequel to IR2, TFA and T1 respectively.

I consider them all direct sequels.

I am so happy to tell that I really enjoyed this. 9/10.

For me it was very refreshing to have some kind of shy lead characters. The score really grown on me and I liked all the character moments (Thena is MVP). I expected a snooze but I really cant complain about it - I liked even the flashbacks. Visuals are outstanding. The diversity cast never felt forced or Marvel trying to be woke, the characters acting normal, no on the nose messages.

Only thing I have to criticize are the fights against the deviants. It became a little bit repetetive during the first 2/3 of the movie.

I kind of understand people cant enjoy this, but Im very happy Marvel gave us this experiment instead of making it another comedy action franchise.

Yeah, this might be the worst of their movies. The first 40 mins is so ponderous, and even after it feels so unintentionally cringe. Easily the worst written MCU movie in terms of plot and especially dialogue imo. Every flashback feels like it has 10 seconds worth of material we need, but then goes on for 5-10 mins. A lot of the casting were... yeah. I think the biggest fumble here is them. Because the three most enjoyable members imo (Kingo, Gilgamesh, and Phastos) are sidelines for the majority of it, while Gemma Chan, whose in it the most, feels sidelined for Robb Stark. Who is the least interesting actor, but not the worst here imo. That's Hayek and Jolie.

Also there is the very questionable:

emphasis on Spirite's uh... let's say desire for a family of her own. With a full grown man physically. And yes, I get she's old too and I don't think it was intentional, but it's still a little girl and the Tinker Bell framing makes it way creepier imo.

I did like the finale scene though. I thought Jon Snow was fun in his five minutes of screentime and the Bollywood Borat duo were cool. Same with pretty much everything Gilgamesh did. Chan was also good. But lord, how Feige ever thought this was Oscar worthy is beyond me. He's probably never produced a worst movie. And he produced TDW, IM2, and Ant Man/Wasp.

Last edited:
Yeah, this might be the worst of their movies. The first 40 mins is so ponderous, and even after it feels so unintentionally cringe. Easily the worst written MCU movie in terms of plot and especially dialogue imo. Every flashback feels like it has 10 seconds worth of material we need, but then goes on for 5-10 mins. A lot of the casting were... yeah. I think the biggest fumble here is them. Because the three most enjoyable members imo (Kingo, Gilgamesh, and Phastos) are sidelines for the majority of it, while Gemma Chan, whose in it the most, feels sidelined for Robb Stark. Who is the least interesting actor, but not the worst here imo. That's Hayek and Jolie.

Also there is the very questionable:

emphasis on Spirite's uh... let's say desire for a family of her own. With a full grown man physically. And yes, I get she's old too and I don't think it was intentional, but it's still a little girl and the Tinker Bell framing makes it way creepier imo.

I did like the ending though. I though Jon Snow was fun in his five minutes of screentime and the Bollywood Borat due were cool. Same with pretty much everything Gilgamesh did. But lord, how Feige ever thought this was Oscar worthy is beyond me. He's probably never produced a worst movie. And he produced TDW, IM2, and Ant Man/Wasp.

In regards to that Spoiler, yeah that shouldn't have been in the script.
The tinker bell comparisons didn't work for me

I’m fascinated by this. So far the audience seems to like it while critics don’t. Definitely sounds like Marvel tried something different, at least for them. Hopefully the critic reviews don’t stop them from experimenting more.

I’m fascinated by this. So far the audience seems to like it while critics don’t. Definitely sounds like Marvel tried something different, at least for them. Hopefully the critic reviews don’t stop them from experimenting more.
They did try something different. To intentionally make a bad movie. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"