Dark Phoenix Rate the 1st trailer of dark phoeniX

Gave it a 5. My biggest concern is that it looks too much like a remake of x3.
X-3, while not a good movie, wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be-- with that said we don't need a rehashing of that. There does seem to be a lot of similarity w/the Jean's childhood being a main theme again and how Charles are Xavier both connected to her past. Then you get the feeling they are going the 'psychosis' route and some sort of psychotic break triggering the The Phoenix Force- but what gives me a little hope that maybe it won't play out that way is knowing there is space element definitely being explored. That trailer did absolutely nothing for me- actually it did worse than nothing, it's given me pause. I've had a hard time w/the franchise as a whole - I liked DOFP but Apocalypse was one of the all time worse comic movies ever made in my book. I will see this no mater what but my expectations have been lowered so I'm not expecting much at this point. Just counting down the time for Marvel to get their hands on the franchise and let's see what they can do cuz these characters deserve soooo much more!

Lucky 7/10.

is it me or do we need some smexy threads? Sheridan's pulling off quite the look there!

I won't be in the theater until i see some reviews though!

A 6 for me. It's X-men and X-men characters so I will never not see them in theatres or never not geek out over seeing an imagery of Cyclops, or Jean, or Nightcrawler or Beast or Xavier. That said Sophie isn't really giving me Jean, I'm tired of the black streaks on Storm's wig, tired of seeing Hoult and that Raven character. I'm tired of seeing X-men as either Xavier's background extras or Magneto's henchmen. I'm tired of seeing important X-men characters as an amalgamized "new character" (Chastain).

I give both this and Captain Marvel a 7, they dont show much and what they do show looks good, but the movies are already sold so there is no point to that (besides now all trailers show you everything, which i feel neither trailer has done so far)

Taking my fan bias aside, it looks like an interesting sci fi drama. But I'm struggling so hard to get past the use of Mystique. Even when you look at it from story telling pov, Mystique always felt like she was head for a morally grey anti hero arc. I feel DOFP crystallized her role perfectly and she should have just stayed in that anti hero area. Turning her into a heroic lead betrays her character to cash in on JLaws popularity.

Funny thing is they could have given her the same amount of screen time and just have her function as black ops style ally that works outside of the team and assists with side missions.

Last edited:
In the trailer it says coming february 2019, and no less than 24 hours later they change it to june. What is going on over there at fox i mean how is this not a bigger deal here i mean that is nuts.

In the trailer it says coming february 2019, and no less than 24 hours later they change it to june. What is going on over there at fox i mean how is this not a bigger deal here i mean that is nuts.

Its cuhrazy!

I’m beyond disgusted with this move by FOX, I was planning on watching Battle Angel Alita when it came out, I am now actively sabotaging it, this is ridiculous, I am very angry and I hope to turn as much people away from that movie as possible. I’ve been waiting for this movie for so long and they keep pushing it, it’s not gonna get any better, it’s not gonna create another franchise just by giving up a February date, stop playing with the fans of these movies and just release it on the freaking Disney App whenever that’s available then. Stop announcing fake release dates.

7/10. I think it explained what the movie will be about, but also reminded me of X3 at certain times. I think the new X-Men costumes are good but I prefer the end of Apocalypse costumes haha. I just don't feel like those costumes are for battles. They look more like a casual everyday team uniform, but not for big battles. Storm doesn't have her cape in this for example and I think its clear she uses her cape to support her more when she is in the air. It was clear Jean is both a hero and villain in this movie, but there was barely anything to learn from Chastains character in the trailer.

7/10 I loved the tone of the trailer it felt personal. I am sad it didn’t have any memorable money shots. The only two that I can think of is when Jean is absorbing the Phoenix and when the x jet is going into space

I give both this and Captain Marvel a 7, they dont show much and what they do show looks good, but the movies are already sold so there is no point to that (besides now all trailers show you everything, which i feel neither trailer has done so far)

Just one observation. Captain Marvel's debut gives you a superhero vibe whereas DP feels more like exactly what eon001 posted above, sci-fi drama, which is great, but Fox lately tends to focus on the X-Men being superpowered people in their own little world where humans rarely interact, a lot of green screen and no humans getting rescued, no human-mutant friendships and enmities to focus on. That's why X2 and Days of Future Past are standouts in the franchise, but even then we never really got the X-Men establish themselves as a superhero team despite the "fear and hatred" they're constantly faced with

6/10. It's not bad per se. I liked Jean crashing the helicopter, and I liked what I saw of Fassbender. But this just feels so forced and tired. Looks like another unambitious lazy take on the Dark Phoenix story.

I watched Grace Randolph's breakdown of the trailer and was a bit bummed out when she compared marvel's Wakanda and Fox's Genosha. Fox is really having issues adapting X-Men comic books; the places Magneto builds up like Asteroid M and Genosha have always been technological and visually awe-inspiring. You can see Genosha in House of M (comic) and Wolverine & the X-Men (animation).

Genosha looks very, very dissappointing. Nothing eye grabbing about it.

Just one observation. Captain Marvel's debut gives you a superhero vibe whereas DP feels more like exactly what eon001 posted above, sci-fi drama, which is great, but Fox lately tends to focus on the X-Men being superpowered people in their own little world where humans rarely interact, a lot of green screen and no humans getting rescued, no human-mutant friendships and enmities to focus on. That's why X2 and Days of Future Past are standouts in the franchise, but even then we never really got the X-Men establish themselves as a superhero team despite the "fear and hatred" they're constantly faced with
Agreed, there's usually very little world building. For DOFP, the promotional web page was more illuminating about the background of the events than the movie. In the movie everything is told through heavy handed exposition in the first minutes. But then again that's Kinberg screenwriting.

Genosha looks very, very dissappointing. Nothing eye grabbing about it.
You can really tell Fox went for the cheap with this movie.

I remember all the users and comments saying during the year that Fox didnt want to rush the trailer because they wanted great and HQ effects on the first trailer, and 11 months after filming ended the trailer came and absolutly nothing looked big or Epic. Nothing lol

Its like a sad joke. The iconic and beloved Phoenix saga and the teaser trailer didnt show anything memorable or impressive.
What a joke man

You can really tell Fox went for the cheap with this movie.

I remember all the users and comments saying during the year that Fox didnt want to rush the trailer because they wanted great and HQ effects on the first trailer, and 11 months after filming ended the trailer came and absolutly nothing looked big or Epic. Nothing lol

Its like a sad joke. The iconic and beloved Phoenix saga and the teaser trailer didnt show anything memorable or impressive.
What a joke man
All the budget probably went to the space rescue at the beginning of the film. And that's why they probably don't want to show that yet.

It reminds me of Spider-Man 3 where instead of discovering the symbiote in space it just crashed to earth in a meteor. You'd think we'd be beyond that in 2018; other studios have shown you can be completely faithful to how crazy the comics can get and audiences will buy it. Why Fox refuses to acknowledge this I will never understand.

I liked it!!! it does seems a bit small in scale tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"