Ratner Iinterview

Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
SANTA MONICA, California — Taking control of a beloved franchise might scare some directors. For Brett Ratner, it was just another day at the office. Ratner recently sat down with MTV to discuss the DVD release of "X-Men: The Last Stand"
spacer.gif
(due October 3), how his film differs from the first two in the trilogy and the power of the director.

MTV: Comic book fans are crazy — some guy has posted a script online for what he hopes will be "X-Men 4." Now that there's some distance from the release, what reaction have you gotten from fans, positive or negative?

Brett Ratner: When I was shooting the movie it was 90 percent negative, and then it became 90 percent positive. I didn't look at the Internet the whole time I was shooting because ["X-Men" and "X2" director] Bryan Singer told me, "Whatever you do, don't look at the Internet." There are rabid fans, and each fan has a different opinion of who should be at the forefront of the series. Some people were obsessed with Rogue, so they think that Rogue should have the most screen time. If I start to listen to that stuff, it'll just drive me nuts. I literally did not read anything. I was in Canada in heavy production for over 100 days focused on making my movie. I wasn't, you know, worrying about what other people wanted.

MTV: Was the success of the film a personal vindication in any way?
Ratner: No. I mean, look: I felt that it was a built-in franchise. It had a huge core audience, [so] the movie was going to be successful. The thing that I was personally excited about was that I love the movie. At the end of the day, I was happy with how it came out. It was one of my dreams to make a superhero film, and my dream came true. All the actors loved the movie so much, and that was great for me because they were in the first two. I'm sure if there was an "X-Men 4," they would all show up if I was directing it.

MTV: You got onboard late in the development process. You were more or less handed a complete script, yes?

Ratner: No. I don't know where you read that, but I wasn't handed a finished script.

MTV: So what input did you have into the script? Did you say, "I want more of this character," or, "I want a scene in this location"?

Ratner: I did not change the plot of the film. The plot of the film, the cure and the Dark Phoenix plot, was exactly the way it was. But as far as the scenes and the set pieces — there was not one location selected. There was nothing. I hired all the new X-Men. And the third act was completely different — I did change the entire third act. It originally took place in Washington, D.C. It had nothing to do with Alcatraz. But I don't think it matters. I'm the director of the movie.

Two of my other movies, I came into the project [while it was already in development]. Directors are, in my opinion, the auteurs of the movie. Not that writers aren't important, but that's why it's a Brett Ratner film and not a Zak Penn or a Simon Kinberg film. That's why it's a Bryan Singer film. I'm the most collaborative person with the writers. I actually had Simon and Zak there the whole time I was making the movie. They're the biggest "X-Men" fans in the world, so, you know, I'm not taking anything away from them. But what I'm saying is the script is not the movie. The movie's the movie. Where I put the camera, how I block the scene, the tone of the scene — but I did stay very true not only to the first two movies but to the comic books.

MTV: Speaking of comic books, how much of the movie was drawn from Joss Whedon's story "Gifted"?

Ratner: It wasn't just from Whedon. Every scene in this movie you could find in an existing comic book — a portion of it or the idea behind it. I didn't want the fans saying, "Oh, Brett Ratner invented this in his mind." So I made Zak and Simon show me the comic book references. Every single scene I had on my wall in my office in comic book form.

MTV: Was it difficult to balance so many characters? There are so many more mutants in this film than in the previous two.

Ratner: Well, that was the challenge. I didn't want to reinvent the franchise. My goal was to stay true to the first two movies and create a film that felt like it was part of a trilogy, as if you're watching "Lord of the Rings." I thought Bryan did a brilliant job of creating the universe, so I just stayed within that tone and focused on the emotionality of the story and the characters.

MTV: So would you have preferred to focus on fewer characters?

Ratner: No. When I did "Red Dragon," I had a huge ensemble. The most difficult part is balancing it. How much time do you spend with Rogue or Wolverine? The most interesting story line, I think, is the Dark Phoenix plot. I gave Halle Berry's character a little bit more to do. So that was my focus. Bryan focused more on the male characters. I focused more on the female aspect of it, because that was what my plot was.

MTV: Does living in the DVD age make it easier for a director? Are you able to experiment more?

Ratner: Absolutely. You no longer have to put scenes in the movie just because you love them. You know it's going to exist somewhere forever in another format.

MTV: What scenes that you fell in love with are on the DVD?

Ratner: Well, I put all the deleted scenes on. There are some interesting things on the DVD as far as debates we were having. For instance, if Rogue should get cured or not — I put on the alternate version where Rogue doesn't get cured. I was passionate about it, because ... you need to show both sides in the film. But there's no scene that was so important to me that I had to have it in the movie.

MTV: Are there going to be any future "X-Men" movies?

Ratner: It wasn't in the plan, but I loved the experience of it, and I loved all the actors, and I would definitely do it again if they asked me to come back. I had that little thing [at the end] where Magneto moved the [chess] piece. Did I want to see a sad, old pathetic man who lost his powers in a park? Did I personally want to see some hope? Yeah. It wasn't because of the fans, I just wanted to see it. Is it mind over matter, or is it the power? Poses a lot of questions.

Check out everything we've got on "X-Men: The Last Stand."

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1541374/09202006/story.jhtml

He comes across extremely arrogant and self-centered. We get it Ratner, its your film, you made the decisions. I think he is look for praise for his style, he isn't going to get it from the fans. I holpe he knows the success of X3 had NOTHING to do with him.

he mentions Rogue a lot...i hope he is at least a little guilty for curing her. Since so many poeple are "obssessed" with her, why not try and notice why are these people obssessed? Because she is a great character, who simply got wasted.

flavio_lebeau said:
he mentions Rogue a lot...i hope he is at least a little guilty for curing her. Since so many poeple are "obssessed" with her, why not try and notice why are these people obssessed? Because she is a great character, who simply got wasted.

exactly, maybe he SHOULD have checked the internet. He seems so clueless, like he can't see anything beyond himself.

And what exactly did he do for Halle? She once again had NO storyline. Sure she had a few more lines (and became ghetto-ish)... but thats not improving the character

I appreciate that he wanted to show mutants voluntarily getting the cure, but we didn't need Rogue to show that. There were tons of mutants lined up for the cure.

spark627 said:
exactly, maybe he SHOULD have checked the internet. He seems so clueless, like he can't see anything beyond himself.

And what exactly did he do for Halle? She once again had NO storyline. Sure she had a few more lines (and became ghetto-ish)... but thats not improving the character

I appreciate that he wanted to show mutants voluntarily getting the cure, but we didn't need Rogue to show that. There were tons of mutants lined up for the cure.
oh yeah. Actually, watching the trilogy makes me see that the best Storm we got was in X1 (except for the wig). In that movie, she is sensate, serious, and somewhat commanding, at least the closest to real Storm we got. In X2 she starts being too talkative and in X3 she just becomes annoying and not comprehensible. Making her spin to death isnt the right way to portray Storm, Mr. Ratner.
And if people are passionate about Rogue, maybe it was time to put her on screen a little more, since the objective of any movie is to please the viewers, and not the director's wishes.

spark627 said:

and what would be the point of the character if not the cure rogue is a pivotal character in the first movie but in the second film she absoloutly gives nothing to the plot personally i think rogue should have died in the end of x1 that way they would have developed the other characters (cyclops,Jean,Storm etc.) better without having to force rogue scenes

kill rogue?

why deviate from the comics so much? in X2 she should more confidence and seemed to grow up, why not continue that? instead of giving into the cure, they should have shown inner turmoil, her wanting the cure bad but knowing that would put a negative message out there to the world. had they shown her giving up her chance to touch bc she believes in herself... that would have been a better story, she did this in the comics.. why not follow the source material? there is a reason the comics have been around for 40 years... bc they work! if its not broke, dont fix it

flavio_lebeau said:
since the objective of any movie is to please the viewers, and not the director's wishes.

weeeeeell... a bit of both.

phoenix_force said:
and what would be the point of the character if not the cure rogue is a pivotal character in the first movie but in the second film she absoloutly gives nothing to the plot personally i think rogue should have died in the end of x1 that way they would have developed the other characters (cyclops,Jean,Storm etc.) better without having to force rogue scenes
force rogue scenes? lol
in X3, its exactly the opposite, they forced Rogue to NOT appear, they forced her scenes out. She was supposed to be the center of the cure plot, but she didnt need to take the cure to be important, just like in the old cartoon.

yeah i can't lie Ratner f'ed up...not completely...but somewhat...here's where...

-the Angel screentime
-killing off too many mutants and i hope they come back
-no Nightcrawler
-going with the cure and not Sentinels
-Phoenix should've came out another way instead of trying to kill Scott and Prof X something like she had her own inner battle through the movie and at the end of the movie ends up using Phoenix to destroy the mass production of Sentinels.

of course i'm not a professional writer or director yet this movie could've been so much better with my help i think.

At least gives us a faceless cliffhanger/cameo of Gambit at the end Ratner.

This comment made me hate him.

" I'm sure if there was an "X-Men 4," they would all show up if I was directing it."

He seemed to think only he can do it right. Yea right Bratner

spark627 said:

WTF?? do u even know what ghetto is???

lol no offense but u sound like those ditzy white girls that say "oh my god that is like soooooooo ghetto" knowing damn well they ain't never been to the ghetto...

any f'ing ways i missed the part where Halle went um "ghetto" :whatever:

The Ones said:
This comment made me hate him.

" I'm sure if there was an "X-Men 4," they would all show up if I was directing it."

He seemed to think only he can do it right. Yea right Bratner

yeah he has no idea what a monster he's created

i say f*** Ratner and bring back Singer. Singer is gonna have to clean up his mess.

how to bring back Jean, Scott, Professor X, un-cure everyone, bring back Nightcrawler, and also fit in Gambit, and hopefully we get a swarm of Sentinels this time and not just one Sentinels head.

HughJackFan420 said:
WTF?? do u even know what ghetto is???

lol no offense but u sound like those ditzy white girls that say "oh my god that is like soooooooo ghetto" knowing damn well they ain't never been to the ghetto...

any f'ing ways i missed the part where Halle went um "ghetto" :whatever:

first off, im not a ditzy white girl.

second, i said ghetto-ish. halle spoke and delivered her lines much differently then in X2 and especially X1. I never said she sounded like was hanging out in the back alleys of Harlem.

So we can say Ratner ****ed up right? I know some are going to come on here and say it's a biased view and the interview was created by a bitter fanboy. :whatever:

I gave Ratner a chance and he messed it up completely. Bottom line? I don't want Ratner going near another superhero film EVER again.

One thing he did confirm is that Magneto didn't lose his powers and that he put the end scene for a reason. Guess what X-Maniac, Nell, and Danoyse? X-Men 4 isn't impossible after all and this came from the hacks mouth himself!

So in the end having Cyclops, Magneto, Rogue, Mystique, and Xavier return wouldn't be an impossibility at all. I still don't want you directing another X-Men film though, Ratner.

LastSunrise1981 said:
I gave Ratner a chance and he messed it up completely. Bottom line? I don't want Ratner going near another superhero film EVER again.

You hit the nail on the head there!

His dream ruined ours.

LastSunrise1981 said:
So we can say Ratner ****ed up right? I know some are going to come on here and say it's a biased view and the interview was created by a bitter fanboy. :whatever:

One thing he did confirm is that Magneto didn't lose his powers and that he put the end scene for a reason. Guess what X-Maniac, Nell, and Danoyse? X-Men 4 isn't impossible after all and this came from the hacks mouth himself!

So in the end having Cyclops, Magneto, Rogue, Mystique, and Xavier return wouldn't be an impossibility at all. I still don't want you directing another X-Men film though, Ratner.
as long as he stays far away from X-men it's all good to me.

Jesus..."I'm sure if there was an "X-Men 4," they would all show up if I was directing it."

i seriously can't believe all the actors think so...where is common sense? i can't believe all the cast thought the movie was amazing...i've already heard/read James, Ellen and Anna not all too happy.

spark627 said:
first off, im not a ditzy white girl.

second, i said ghetto-ish. halle spoke and delivered her lines much differently then in X2 and especially X1. I never said she sounded like was hanging out in the back alleys of Harlem.

huh?? how?? i have to disagree with u because i didn't see a difference from the other movies as far as her dialogue. and i never said u were a ditzy white girl just sounded like it because i just can't recall what she said or did to come off as "ghetto-ish"

HughJackFan420 said:
huh?? how?? i have to disagree with u because i didn't see a difference from the other movies as far as her dialogue. and i never said u were a ditzy white girl just sounded like it because i just can't recall what she said or did to come off as "ghetto-ish"

In my opinion, in X1, she sounded African (uhh kinda, but at least we knew she grew up somewhere else) and she sounded like a WOMAN

X2 she lost the accent but still seemed older, wiser and confident

X3, in my opinion, she sounded less mature and wise and sounded like she came from NY, which I didn't personally hear in the first 2 films, even the way she walked and held herself seemed different then in X1. If she wasn't in charge of the practice in the danger room I don't think would ever know she was leading, which changed by the end of the movie

Perhaps 'ghetto-ish' wasnt the greatest term, but I didn't mean it in the way I think you took it

LastSunrise1981 said:

it's also possible for Jean to comeback as well. i mean Mystique got stabbed the same way in X1 right?? I mean she came back?? Jean/Phoenix is a class 5 mutant...why couldn't SHE comeback?? hmmm??

spark627 said:
In my opinion, in X1, she sounded African (uhh kinda, but at least we knew she grew up somewhere else) and she sounded like a WOMAN

X2 she lost the accent but still seemed older, wiser and confident

X3, in my opinion, she sounded less mature and wise and sounded like she came from NY, which I didn't personally hear in the first 2 films, even the way she walked and held herself seemed different then in X1. If she wasn't in charge of the practice in the danger room I don't think would ever know she was leading, which changed by the end of the movie

Perhaps 'ghetto-ish' wasnt the greatest term, but I didn't mean it in the way I think you took it

just for the record i meant no offense but i'm just having a hardtime trying to pinpoint where and when exactly in the film she talked in the way u described it.

I would love a movie where Jean returns and searches for Scotts 'pieces' only to find he was brought back and cloned and whatnot by Sinister

Ratner: It wasn't just from Whedon. Every scene in this movie you could find in an existing comic book — a portion of it or the idea behind it. I didn't want the fans saying, "Oh, Brett Ratner invented this in his mind." So I made Zak and Simon show me the comic book references. Every single scene I had on my wall in my office in comic book form.

Perhaps he should emphasize the bolded part a bit more, seeing as how the preceding sentence is laughably wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"