Rebecca Buller IS Jenny Olsen in Man of Steel

Yea me to...:(, that and maybe Pa kent dying..but I guess we'll see how this all plays out

So what ever happened to Jimmy Olsen?

If she is meant to be a permanent replacement for Jimmy in this franchise, I'm going to be heavily dissapointed.

well so far she is the ONLY Olsen in this movie

If Jenny is indeed supposed to be a substitute/replacement for Jimmy permanently, I'd be interested to see what the relationship is between Clark & Jenny. Given that in the majority of incarnations, Jimmy Olsen always seems idolise Clark Kent & always seems to want to impress him & be his best pal.

The only reason I ask is because if it's a female with those sort of characteristics the relationship between the two would no longer kinda appear as a big brother/younger brother relationship & instead it might come across as a schoolgirl crush..

Yeah. I really hope they don't go with the schoogirl crush route, we don't have a Supergirl here, it'd be nice to see Clark acting like a big brother/mentor/friend to Jenny.

well so far she is the ONLY Olsen in this movie

If things stay that way, I will be very pissed and dissapointed. They would be removing an important supporting character...just because.

It is stupidly unnecessary.

If things stay that way, I will be very pissed and dissapointed. They would be removing an important supporting character...just because.

It is stupidly unnecessary.
Or made that character better. :yay:

By heavily altering a great supporting character that didn't need to be and by changing Clark's entire dynamic with that character?

Or made that character better. :yay:

As I argued below, it is hard to see how:

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of Jimmy being changed to Jenny. My favourite interpretation of Jimmy is as Clark/Superman's one true real friend. I'm not saying that a heterosexual man can't have a meaningful platonic friendship with a heterosexual woman, but Hollywood never seems to allow that to happen. Chloe from Smallville is the perfect example of that. They never let her and Clark truly be platonic friends. She started off having a crush on him and being friend-zoned by his love for Lana and they messed around with the idea of them together a little bit. I just feel like there is a better chance of them not screwing up the Jimmy-Clark relationship if they just left him a heterosexual man. There would be less of temptation for the writers to add in something romantic between Jenny and Clark or something in a sequel for unnecessary romantic drama.

That is the thing though, it takes away from Jimmy's relationship to Clark if you make Jenny a more Lois-centric character. Also, if this film is about Clark/Superman finally finding a home/acceptance, then the idea of him finally finding a true friend in Jimmy is especially meaningful. I mean Clark doesn't seem to have fit in as a child. The Junior Novel really underlines that fact and even Pete Ross has been re-imagined as one of his bullies. I know Clark will be finding larger acceptance as Superman, but I really like the idea of him finding acceptance at the Planet. It is a great way to show the theme of modern cities being big, diverse communities where everyone has a place and a group of people who are like them. They might pull that off with Jenny, but as I mentioned in my post above, I have little faith in Hollywood being able to handle platonic male-female relationships successfully.

Moreover, it is probably more empowering for Lois if Jimmy/Jenny looks up to her and is a man. It means that Lois is not just a role model for other women but that she has transcended gender boundaries and is a role model for all aspiring journalists.

Oh well. As long as they do a job with the relationships, I'll be happy. I just think it could have been better the other way around.

I have to agree on the gender issue. There is a certain difference in a friendly relationship where you know that both of you will never be attracted to each other. I have plenty of platonic female friends and I'm in a committed relationship, but even still, the "what if?" thought will pop into my head just out of curiosity. But maybe, I'm just an oversexed young man like DaJanksta. :oldrazz:

I know to some being upset over changing Jimmy's gender seems like sexist, kneejerk reactions, but there are a lot of legitimate reasons to be concerned.

I know to some being upset over changing Jimmy's gender seems like sexist, kneejerk reactions, but there are a lot of legitimate reasons to be concerned.

Well said :up:.

All of it conjecture at this point.

Yeah, I agree, if the character of Jenny was/is meant to be a replacement for the character of "Jimmy Olsen", it wouldn't feel like the change in mythology was an inspired one.

I mean it's one thing to cast an actor or actress of a different ethnic background from what fans have normally seen the said character portrayed as within comics or past incarnations (Idris Elba as Heimdell, Lawrence as Perry White, Daniel Henney as Agent Zero, Celina Jade as Shado (the character is originally portrayed as Japanese within comics but Chinese within her live action debut in Arrow), etc.

However, it's a completely different thing when changing the gender of any mythological/canon character. And I don't think it has anything to do with sexism since I'd say the same thing if any well known female characters were changed into Male characters.

I mean, imagine what it'd be like if they turned Harley Quinn into a male character instead, how that would change the dynamics of the relationship between Harley's character and the Joker.

And for other reasons, Jimmy is like the only real male friend that Clark has within Metropolis, and was his best man at his wedding as well I believe; he's practically like a younger brother to Clark.

It’s one thing to change a character’s race, but to change their gender? I’m not that pleased to be honest. I’d rather just have Jimmy. He’s one of the Superman characters. But who knows, she might be related to Jimmy, if he exists in this universe. He may enter the mix in a sequel.

It feels like they're changing stuff just for the sake of changing stuff. That's what this whole thing feels like to me.

It feels like they're changing stuff just for the sake of changing stuff. That's what this whole thing feels like to me.

She'll probably have like 5 mins screen time tops. The change does not bother me. Then again, the Olsen character has never really been that important to me.

She'll probably have like 5 mins screen time tops. The change does not bother me. Then again, the Olsen character has never really been that important to me.

I doubt that. She seems to be in every piece of Daily Planet footage released so far, front and center with Perry.

The change does not bother me. Then again, the Olsen character has never really been that important to me.
This is me. I've never cared about Jimmy in...any incarnation of Supes that I can recall, so it doesn't phase me at all either way. But for those who DO care about Jimmy, I can see where they're coming from. If they'd done this with a character I was a fan of, I'd be a little annoyed by it as well.

I doubt that. She seems to be in every piece of Daily Planet footage released so far, front and center with Perry.

Maybe so, but 5 mins of screen time is a lot, when you actually think about it.

Just for kicks: Anthony Hopkins had 16 mins of screen time in Silence of the Lambs. Anne Hathaway had about 15 mins in Les Mis. Judy Dench 8 mins in Shakespeare in Love.....I'm guessing Olsen won't be as important to the plot as those other roles.

Has this been confirmed? I haven't been able to find any evidence that this is true. I would like to see some proof.

Maybe so, but 5 mins of screen time is a lot, when you actually think about it.

Just for kicks: Anthony Hopkins had 16 mins of screen time in Silence of the Lambs. Anne Hathaway had about 15 mins in Les Mis. Judy Dench 8 mins in Shakespeare in Love.....I'm guessing Olsen won't be as important to the plot as those other roles.

True, but I wasn't taking you as meaning a literal 5 minutes tops. I was responding to your argument which read as "it doesn't really matter because she will barely be in the film". I was responding that based on what we've seen, she appears to be a prominent Daily Planet character and always in frame with Perry.

Also, I can't believe anyone seriously thinks that Jenny will be Jimmy's older sister. When Smallville did that, the fans were outraged and Smallville fans were able to stomach and accept a lot of ridiculous and crappy ideas. There is no way that Goyer is doing that.

Has this been confirmed? I haven't been able to find any evidence that this is true. I would like to see some proof.

Oh yes, spoiler tagged for size:
tumblr_mmszxxqFuA1r8dmx1o1_1280.jpg

I really hope that she is Jimmy's older sister, even though it's highly unlikely at this point.

It will be a big letdown for me knowing that I won't see the brotherly Clark/Jimmy dynamic in this franchise. That's one of the things I love the most in the Superman mythos.

True, but I wasn't taking you as meaning a literal 5 minutes tops. I was responding to your argument which read as "it doesn't really matter because she will barely be in the film". I was responding that based on what we've seen, she appears to be a prominent Daily Planet character and always in frame with Perry.

Oh yeah, I know it matters to some of you guys. Even if she is playing a huge role in the film, it doesn't bother me that He is now a she, but I just don't see how they are going to develop her as the traditional Olsen role, given that there is so much other more important stuff to establish. Hence the 5 mins screen time remark. She may be prominent in the DP scenes and metropolis, but I doubt we'll get much of the Olsen/Clark relationship even if she were a he. :woot:

Jimmy will be the 'Robin' of this film series. :o

So what ever happened to Jimmy Olsen?

If she is meant to be a permanent replacement for Jimmy in this franchise, I'm going to be heavily dissapointed.

Maybe Jenny was once Jimmy, but made a life-changing decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"