Remake: Highlander

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
I believe a remake/reboot is appropriate when a movie can be drastically improved on. I rented Highlander the other night and Highlander is an amazing concept...but the movie while a classic is sort of stuck in the 80s. Bad dialogue, campy performances, even the action suffers by today's standards. I mean the sword fights consist of person swinging their sword then running for a few seconds, another swing, more running, etc. Plus the sequels have all been atrocious. Any attempt to make Highlander into a franchise have been total failures. That alone can be worth the reboot. What do you think? Is it time to give this franchise a second chance?

Although I enjoy the original quite a bit despite it's flaws which you already pointed out Matt.

I wouldn't be against a remake.

It could actually be pretty bad ass with the right script and director.

And it's not just a setup to another series of ****** sequels.

Agreed.

If there can 'only be one' I think it might just be best to make the one remake and end it with MacLeod being the only immortal left.

I know a number of people would want a full franchise out of it but as you said that could just bring about ****** sequels.

If it was made by the right people who took the material seriously.......

I say that the worst thing to happen to these movies was continuity. The television show doesn't have to meet up with the movies, the movies don't need to continue after Connor wins, etc.

If this franchise is going to be remade... remake Highlander and start a television series. Not in the same continuity and definitely do not continue the story of the remake in sequels. If anything, make 'prequels' to the remake and just tell stories of the immortals... because well... they have a lot of stories to tell.

If it was made by the right people who took the material seriously.......

Thats the problem ....

The original may be stuck in the 80s but its still a damn good movie with some near perfect casting ....

Who would replace Clancy Brown? ... Who would replace Connery?

The problem is that if its a hit, there would be sequels. Hollywood cant leave well enugh alone.

Therefore, Im all for going back to the drawing board, and coming up with a concept that could start in the past, and lead up to the final battle. Highlander was the not the beginning of a franchise, it was the end, and all stories after that first film should have been leading up to that final battle.

Lord Of The Rings-esque?

Geez...for a minute I forgot we were talking about Highlander, and instead an actual respectable franchise.

The problem is that if its a hit, there would be sequels. Hollywood cant leave well enugh alone.

Therefore, Im all for going back to the drawing board, and coming up with a concept that could start in the past, and lead up to the final battle. Highlander was the not the beginning of a franchise, it was the end, and all stories after that first film should have been leading up to that final battle.

Lord Of The Rings-esque?

Geez...for a minute I forgot we were talking about Highlander, and instead an actual respectable franchise.

There is a lot of truth in that. The reason a Highlander franchise has always failed is because as you said, the beginning of the franchise was also the end. Perhaps they can do something like this.

First movie - Set in Scotland it focuses on the early life of Connor, his battle which results in Kurgan stabbing him, his banishment from his clan, meeting and marrying Heather, meeting Rameriez, training under Rameriez, and it could ultimately end with the epic battle between Kurgan and Rameriez in which Kurgan kills Rameriez and rapes Heather. To fill the movie and add some action there could be flashbacks (like in the original movie) that shows Rameriez's backstory as well as Kurgan's and perhaps develops a rivalry between the two which would make their duel at the end more poignant (I believe some the supplemental material has already went down the road of developing a past between Kurgan and Rameriez).

Second movie - Opens with Heather's death of old age. From there it explores Connor's life leading up to The Gathering, spanning hundreds of years. The original Highlander implied that Connor knew several other Immortals, it could develop those relationships as well as have him trying to hunt down Kurgan for revenge. A good character arc for this wouldn't necessarily be a romance, but the father/daughter relationship between Connor and Rachel after he adopts her during WW2. It could be very poignant as he watches her grow old and ultimately die (since the third movie would be set in modern times, not the 80s, she'd either be very old or dead). HAving outlived his child, it would make the prize (mortality) be that much more effective.

Third movie - Would probably be the actual remake, it takes place in New York in the present for The Gathering. Leads up to and shows the final battle between Kurgan and Connor. Ends with Connor winning the prize of his mortality.

I think it could make a pretty awesome trilogy. As for the cast

Connor: Jeffrey Donovan - Donovan actually looks the part quite a bit and is great at doing accents. He may be getting a bit old for the role, but come on, 40 is the new 20.

Rameriez: Antonio Banderez - I always found it strange that an Eygptian who was believed to be Spanish was entirely pale and had a heavy Scottish accent. Banderez is a great actor, has darker skin complexion and can actually be believed as an adopted Spaniard.

Kurgan: Ron Perlman - Perlman has the physique to give off the threatening nature of Kurgan and is a pretty decent actor. Alternatively...give it to Lambert. :hehe:

Last edited:
How dare you mock Highlander Matt, don't you know it won the academy Award for "Best Movie Ever Made"

I remember one of the Highlander sequels having pro wrestler Edge in it.

The most obvious thing I would expect from a quality reboot is a new ending, one that doesn't kill all franchise potential.

There can be only one. Leave it alone, Matt.

Besides, with all these atrocious remakes made over the last few years, I don't think it would be wise to damage a movie as great as the original Highlander.

I believe a remake/reboot is appropriate when a movie can be drastically improved on. I rented Highlander the other night and Highlander is an amazing concept...but the movie while a classic is sort of stuck in the 80s. Bad dialogue, campy performances, even the action suffers by today's standards. I mean the sword fights consist of person swinging their sword then running for a few seconds, another swing, more running, etc. Plus the sequels have all been atrocious. Any attempt to make Highlander into a franchise have been total failures. That alone can be worth the reboot. What do you think? Is it time to give this franchise a second chance?

Actually, Summit Entertainment (Twilight, Push, Knowing) are doing a remake or reboot. It was announced last year. Some of the writers on Iron Man are doing it. At HLWW9? in LA in April of this year, head series writer David Abrowotriz(sp?) read a early draft. Outside of more backstory for the Kurgan and some new characters, it's still the same movie. The budget was announced at 50 million, too.

Very old news btw.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45313

With Highlander, Matt, you don't need Connor. There are TONS of immortals. The good tv series showed us that. The probelms with the 5 movies si they don't really tie into together. Only Highlander, Highlander: Endgame and Highlander The Source (Source got disowned, all a nightmare Duncan had according to a skit at Highlander WorldWide 8 in Vancouver in 2007) tie into together.

Last edited:
Actually, Summit Entertainment (Twilight, Push, Knowing) are doing a remake or reboot. It was announced last year. Some of the writers on Iron Man are doing it. At HLWW9? in LA in April of this year, head series writer David Abrowotriz(sp?) read a early draft. Outside of more backstory for the Kurgan and some new characters, it's still the same movie. The budget was announced at 50 million, too.

Very old news btw.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45313

With Highlander, Matt, you don't need Connor. There are TONS of immortals. The good tv series showed us that. The probelms with the 5 movies si they don't really tie into together. Only Highlander, Highlander: Endgame and Highlander The Source (Source got disowned, all a nightmare Duncan had according to a skit at Highlander WorldWide 8 in Vancouver in 2007) tie into together.

I've never watched TV series, and while there are tons of immortals, there can also only be one. If they do a straight remake, the story ends with Connor, as his is the story of The Gathering. Unless for every sequel you say, "Oh yeah, Connor and Kurgan weren't really the last Immortals, you forgot _______" at which point it would feel contrieved which is why I like my set up for a trilogy. Connor lived for over 500 years. No need to cram it into one movie.

Matt said:
First movie - Set in Scotland it focuses on the early life of Connor, his battle which results in Kurgan stabbing him, his banishment from his clan, meeting and marrying Heather, meeting Rameriez, training under Rameriez, and it could ultimately end with the epic battle between Kurgan and Rameriez in which Kurgan kills Rameriez and rapes Heather. To fill the movie and add some action there could be flashbacks (like in the original movie) that shows Rameriez's backstory as well as Kurgan's and perhaps develops a rivalry between the two which would make their duel at the end more poignant (I believe some the supplemental material has already went down the road of developing a past between Kurgan and Rameriez).

Second movie - Opens with Heather's death of old age. From there it explores Connor's life leading up to The Gathering, spanning hundreds of years. The original Highlander implied that Connor knew several other Immortals, it could develop those relationships as well as have him trying to hunt down Kurgan for revenge. A good character arc for this wouldn't necessarily be a romance, but the father/daughter relationship between Connor and Rachel after he adopts her during WW2. It could be very poignant as he watches her grow old and ultimately die (since the third movie would be set in modern times, not the 80s, she'd either be very old or dead). HAving outlived his child, it would make the prize (mortality) be that much more effective.

Third movie - Would probably be the actual remake, it takes place in New York in the present for The Gathering. Leads up to and shows the final battle between Kurgan and Connor. Ends with Connor winning the prize of his mortality.

I'm totally for it. One of the best concepts yet its horribly executed.

No Queen, for God's sake...

I remember one of the Highlander sequels having pro wrestler Edge in it.

He was in Highlander: Endgame, but he didn't get to play an immortal like was orgininally planned for his character. I think footage was shot but never used & he just ended up playing a robber in the end. By the time they got to Highlander: Endgame they had really messed the films up, somewhere out there in a film vault there is enough deleted footage to make up 3 or 4 different/alternate versions of this movie & only 2 of them made the dvd when it was released.

I'm a fan of the movies and the series....and I whole heartedly say remake it.

The main thing I would like to see changed is....get rid of the "There can be only one" stuff. They are immortal, they get the other guy's mojo when they behead them....don't need no ONLY ONE crap.

I'm a fan of the movies and the series....and I whole heartedly say remake it.

The main thing I would like to see changed is....get rid of the "There can be only one" stuff. They are immortal, they get the other guy's mojo when they behead them....don't need no ONLY ONE crap.

If they do such a thing, they need to find another plot device to grant Connor his mortality. I mean, while horribly executed, Connor's immortality being a curse is one of the biggest themes of the movie. It got him exiled from his family, forced him to watch the woman he loved die. Allowed his adopted child to outgrow him, etc. Mortality should be his reward in the end as it completes the character arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"