Remake: Highlander

They could span the story over three films . We could have one central villian that he doesn't defeat until the end but in between they have to face other immortals. That's the only way to do it without tacking on convenient twists.

They could span the story over three films . We could have one central villian that he doesn't defeat until the end but in between they have to face other immortals. That's the only way to do it without tacking on convenient twists.

I've never watched TV series, and while there are tons of immortals, there can also only be one. If they do a straight remake, the story ends with Connor, as his is the story of The Gathering. Unless for every sequel you say, "Oh yeah, Connor and Kurgan weren't really the last Immortals, you forgot _______" at which point it would feel contrieved which is why I like my set up for a trilogy. Connor lived for over 500 years. No need to cram it into one movie.

There is a lot of truth in that. The reason a Highlander franchise has always failed is because as you said, the beginning of the franchise was also the end. Perhaps they can do something like this.

First movie - Set in Scotland it focuses on the early life of Connor, his battle which results in Kurgan stabbing him, his banishment from his clan, meeting and marrying Heather, meeting Rameriez, training under Rameriez, and it could ultimately end with the epic battle between Kurgan and Rameriez in which Kurgan kills Rameriez and rapes Heather. To fill the movie and add some action there could be flashbacks (like in the original movie) that shows Rameriez's backstory as well as Kurgan's and perhaps develops a rivalry between the two which would make their duel at the end more poignant (I believe some the supplemental material has already went down the road of developing a past between Kurgan and Rameriez).

Second movie - Opens with Heather's death of old age. From there it explores Connor's life leading up to The Gathering, spanning hundreds of years. The original Highlander implied that Connor knew several other Immortals, it could develop those relationships as well as have him trying to hunt down Kurgan for revenge. A good character arc for this wouldn't necessarily be a romance, but the father/daughter relationship between Connor and Rachel after he adopts her during WW2. It could be very poignant as he watches her grow old and ultimately die (since the third movie would be set in modern times, not the 80s, she'd either be very old or dead). HAving outlived his child, it would make the prize (mortality) be that much more effective.

Third movie - Would probably be the actual remake, it takes place in New York in the present for The Gathering. Leads up to and shows the final battle between Kurgan and Connor. Ends with Connor winning the prize of his mortality.

:cmad: :heart:

Princes of the Universe is an awesome song :cmad:

Well, not the entire song.

I still say get rid of it. All of the Queen cues kindof added to the cheese factor with the first one. Michael Kamen's score would've been perfect without the rock opera schtick.

I don't want to see Highlander remade personally. The first movie is fantastic. The sequels are awful, and I didn't even see Endgame or The Source cause they looked horrible...but the first is greatness!

I like the three movie idea Matt...

The first focuses on his initial death by the Kurgan, his training by Ramirez, Ramirez's death by another villain (i'm thinking since it's set in Scotland, a Pict from the old highlands might be cool), Connor takes his first head.

The second focuses on his world travels and all the battles he fights. I always thought it would be cool to see him get arrested in Africa, then spot another immortal on a slave/convict ship. He helps the slave break out, they both die in process, they come back to life, Connor trains him and they travel the world together. Maybe the slave could be Castagir?

The third film would be set in some major city of the 21st century (London, New York, Rome, Paris, Tokyo). The Kurgan would come out of hiding and start killing off tons of immortals. Connor and the Kurgan face off in a grand finale between immortal enemies.

The Highlander series has always had an ENORMOUS amount of potential. I don't think anyone who had their hands on it had the foresight for it, except for the original writer.

EDIT - I always thought it was a shame that they never brought in a villain out of the highlands of Scotland. The Picts are an extinct race that were the original inhabitants of that region, and were pretty damn scary. The Roman's got tired of fighting them and losing, so they simply put up a wall to keep them out of lower Britain and left that region unconquered (Hadrian's Wall).

Victorious-Pict.jpg

Having a villain from an extinct race of highlanders would be pretty tops iMO.

Last edited:
I've never watched TV series, and while there are tons of immortals, there can also only be one. If they do a straight remake, the story ends with Connor, as his is the story of The Gathering. Unless for every sequel you say, "Oh yeah, Connor and Kurgan weren't really the last Immortals, you forgot _______" at which point it would feel contrieved which is why I like my set up for a trilogy. Connor lived for over 500 years. No need to cram it into one movie.

It's not 100% straight remake. In the early draft, it is stated that the gathering is near, but it isn't the time for it. Just saying what I know man. I like the series more than the movies, but with this remake, they gotta plan one thing. If the movie does well, the freakin sequels need to tie in and make ****ing sense. Trilogy can be good, then have a new tv show.

I don't see how stretching the first Highlander film into 3 films makes it any better. The first film included everything in one film, and was all kinds of awesome. You don't always need to stretch things out like that just for the sake of having 3 films. Length and what is covered should depend upon the story in question, and I don't see how remaking Highlander is a good idea. A reboot with a different character or immortal? Perhaps can be good if you get real talent involved. A flat out remake...ugh.

I don't see how stretching the first Highlander film into 3 films makes it any better. The first film included everything in one film, and was all kinds of awesome. You don't always need to stretch things out like that just for the sake of having 3 films. Length and what is covered should depend upon the story in question, and I don't see how remaking Highlander is a good idea. A reboot with a different character or immortal? Perhaps can be good if you get real talent involved. A flat out remake...ugh.

Because the story is longer than one film. Connor's training with Rameriez, Rameriez and Kurgan's origins, none of that is covered in the original. And then there is the matter of Connor. We never properly explore anything, his relationship with Rameriez (outside of occassional laughs as they sword fight), the effect Heather's death had on him, his relationship with his adopted daughter, at what point he began to see his immortality as a curse (as he clearly did enjoy it for awhile after Heather's death even going as far as to use it to play practical jokes). There are three stories to tell.

The origins of Kurgan, Rameriez, and Connor would be one story. Connor's life as an immortal is another story all together. I personally feel a movie exploring this could be the most poignant. At some point after Heather's death, Connor treated his immortality as a gift. He used it to play jokes on snooty Frenchmen, drink with other immortals, and seemed to have an all around good time. At some point between the flashbacks and the present action that changed and he began to resent it. I'd imagine a big part in changing that was his daughter, Rachel and watching her outgrow him, knowing he would see her die as he did Heather. That could be a beautiful story to tell. It is the crucial character arc of Connor. And then of course the third story in Connor's life would be the Gathering and his quest for mortality.

There is a reason to have a trilogy. The original movie seems like spark notes over three great stories. I want to see all of them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"