Remember the Phantom Menace Hype of 98/99?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episodes I - III' started by Hordakfan, Jan 25, 2014.

1. O_B_Juan Your only hope

I remember Lucasfilm would periodically release those "making of" webisodes on starwars.com. The webisodes really didn't show much except actors and green screens but they would still make you super excited to see the film.

2. AnneFan Hathaway #1

I remember the hype. It was a big deal.

3. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

Check this out. The Phantom Menace teaser reaction from 1998:

[YT]DqcrzE9pZOQ[/YT]

I love the applause for half-ass puppet Yoda.

4. brothersthre3 Registered

Oh lawd. I hope these new movies are not a disappointment. That was a great clip above ^^

5. The Whizzer Registered

Saw it opening night and the crowd's reaction right after the Fox fanfare when "A long time ago..." popped up is probably one of my all-time favorite movie-going memories. I had never, ever heard an audience go that insane.

6. TheJL Registered

Yeah, the hype was a huge deal. The first new Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. They re-released the original series to the theatres before Episode I to build the hype.

7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Not sure there has ever been a film with as much hype.

8. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Yeah they put the Star Wars logo on any kind of product they could think of. I'm pretty sure I still have a wrapper from a Star Wars popsicle shaped like the battle droids :woot:

9. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

It was a very different hype to the original trilogy, being a child during that period (77-83) I embraced the 'newness' of it, being 24 when TPM came out I knew what was coming but was genuinely excited for seeing the new iteration of the SW films, just that we had something 'back' after so long.

I still wore my Yoda backpack and took my lightsaber to my screening of course, you understand. :cwink:

10. Scarlet Spider Registered

I still love this song...

[YT]hEcjgJSqSRU[/YT]

:awesome:

11. I'm Old Greg do you love me?

When I was a kid I saw it with my friends and the theater was so packed we had to seperate from each other to find seats.
    I sat next to this guy and his girlfriend he turns to me and asks “Have you seen it yet?” I said “What?? No.” Then he says “Youre Not gonna like it the first viewing but the second time you might.”
    I said “What the **** does that mean?” He just gave me a look and I looked over at this ***** poor girlfriend feeling bad hes putting her through whatever disappointment im about to watch.

The Phantom Menace was cringe. When it ended the audiance was silent so I made a big fart noise stuck my hand out in the air and pointed my thumb down.

I didn’t go back and see it again and again trying to force myself to like it. What the hell is wrong with people??
    I felt so duped with my Phantom Menace poster and toys.
    I loved the OT. I couldn’t understand how Lucas ruined his own creation? Until I found out his exwife was an Academy Award winning editor on STAR WARS and his Ex Friend produced the OT before he got fed up with Lucas and his demands on Jedi.

Jurassisc Park the Lost World was utter disapointment and The Phantom Menace was the downward spiral to make me find movies and peoples obession with movies to be a ploy for cash and utter cringe.

12. Webhead38 Registered

I was in 7th grade when the original Star Wars came out in 1977, so it was fascinating watching the world catch fire leading up to the Phantom Menace. What many have mentioned here are interesting memories and I love hearing those.

But what I remember vividly are all of the people who either got fired or quit their jobs just to stand in line and wait for this film. There were generations of people waiting on this movie. It got so hysterical George Lucas had to come out before the film opened just to remind people this is just a movie and not to make more out of it than what it is.

It was a great lesson given the way people talk so poorly about it today. But there was a bigger lesson which Disney never figured out - REBUILDING DEMAND. Lucas allowed sixteen years to elapse between trilogies which kept that original generation on the hook while new ones discovered the series and got in line to wait with everyone else.

What almost all of these comments share is how much of an "event" this movie was. That's exactly right. It can be debated until the end of time where Lucas belongs as a director, but there's nothing to debate about his masterful ability to market these films. He understood how to pull back and fuel that market share. And he understood he was as much a brand as the movies. Who doesn't think of George Lucas with Star Wars? He took fans into "Lucas Ranch" and on this visual tour into his creative process. Fans ate that up and focused on every word he mentioned about upcoming stories. George Lucas was not only the creator, but also the spokesman and ring leader for the brand.

Fans will always have varying opinions about him because of some of these films, but they always responded to his calling to bring them back for more. And he was rebuilding that demand again for the next Star Wars movie when he decided to chuck it and sale off the property.

So that demand was there when Force Awakens opened. But now where do fans go? They still want to know what George thinks. Did HE like it? The brand no longer has a cheerleader. It no longer has someone championing the cause. Now they have a corporate head that shows little to no interest in the brand and tries to instill her own social agenda in these movies instead of honoring what was passed on. And people wonder why the magic seems to be gone? Why we now have a movie that bombed?

Lucas made 6 movies in 28 years. Disney has made 4 in 3 years. And it's led by someone who doesn't like the product. Suddenly Phantom Menace is not that bad. I'm just fine with it.