Sequels The Menace of MYSTERIO!

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on guys, who DOESN'T want to see this guy headline a Spidey film eventually? He could be a great psychological threat. My hype after TASM2 is VERY low for TASM3, but I think Mysterio could be great as a psychological threat. Maybe he even drives the wall crawler mad as he forces him to relive his most painful memories over and over! He is one of my all-time favorites. I want to see him used, and done right! The last couple films had poor villains, granted. But, my hype level would probably increase to some degree if he was in it.

So, who else wants a fishbowl of MYSTERIO'S!

f8ss.jpg

Last edited:
I think the possibilities of how he could be used both in the narrative and as regards action scenes is very exciting, and I used to doubt it until the SSM eps. For now let me throw in this idea for a helmet redesign as suggested by bullseye.

I actually have an idea of how to do it. If say there was to ever be a reboot, have it set about 6 months into Spidey's career.

Spider-Man is a pop culture phenomenon. Video games, comics, merchandising, and an indevelopment film that's being shot on location, supervised and executive produced by Spider-Man himself. You could throw in a joke where Spidey completely makes up a whole new backstory for how he got his powers and what he really looks like underneath the mask.

Quentin Beck is the sfx supervisor on the film, a master of practical and visual effects, but due to the modern use of CGI, Beck's had trouble becoming contracted. This is sort of his last chance to prove what he's capable of and spark interest for his talents.

One day when Spidey is on set, the director shows him to one of Beck's effects, to which Spider-Man makes a passing comment on its' lack of believability. The director takes notice of this and asks to have Beck fired, to which Beck of course pleads to keep the position. Beck is offered a rather small sum of money to leave quietly, to which he refuses. Once fired/replaced, Beck swears vengence against Spidey for ruining his chance to become possibly renowned within the world of sfx.

It's pretty basic, but I think it would be cool in sort of a meta way. And later have Beck, as Myserio, somehow find out Spidey's true identity, to which he uses some sort of simulator or "funhouse" (sort like SM2 the game) that shows Spider-Man's greatest fears and his worst experiences. Could also be an interesting way to show what he has gone through up to this point (possibly having already experienced the death of Gwen).

Last edited:
It could work in the current series as well, but I don't really see Sony risking the use of such a villian.

I actually have an idea of how to do it. If say there was to ever be a reboot, have it set about 6 months into Spidey's career.

Spider-Man is a pop culture phenomenon. Video games, comics, merchandising, and an indevelopment film that's being shot on location, supervised and executive produced by Spider-Man himself. You could throw in a joke where Spidey completely makes up a whole new backstory for how he got his powers and what he really looks like underneath the mask.

Quentin Beck is the sfx supervisor on the film, a master of practical and visual effects, but due to the modern use of CGI, Beck's had trouble becoming contracted. This is sort of his last chance to prove what he's capable of and spark interest for his talents.

One day when Spidey is on set, the director shows him to one of Beck's effects, to which Spider-Man makes a passing comment on its' lack of believability. The director takes notice of this and asks to have Beck fired, to which Beck of course pleads to keep the position. Beck is offered a rather small sum of money to leave quietly, to which he refuses. Once fired/replaced, Beck swears vengence against Spidey for ruining his chance to become possibly renowned within the world of sfx.

It's pretty basic, but I think it would be cool in sort of a meta way. And later have Beck, as Myserio, somehow find out Spidey's true identity, to which he uses some sort of simulator or "funhouse" (sort like SM2 the game) that shows Spider-Man's greatest fears and his worst experiences. Could also be an interesting way to show what he has gone through up to this point (possibly having already experienced the death of Gwen).

If in TASM3, they had a fun house sequence where Spider-Man saw all the ghosts of the past haunting him, that would be AWESOME! I love this idea :up:

I'd love to see Mysterio next. Would be great to have Spidey fighting illusions and such.

Doubt they'd do the fishbowl though.

It could work in the current series as well, but I don't really see Sony risking the use of such a villian.

They took a risk on Electro and a risk putting tougher a villian team movie and took the risk of alienating audiences by killing off a main beloved character

I also had the idea that at first, Mysterio continually gets his a** handed to him again, and again, and again by Spidey (who quickly gets over his special effects trick).

Once Mysterio manages to figure out Spidey's identity the film would then jump a year in time (at this point Spidey would have already been in The Avengers, so this portion would take place after his appearance).

The film picks up to when the Spider-Man film is released, becoming a big hit but received pretty poorly (due to Spidey's poorly constructed origin story that he made up).

During this time, Mysterio has been researching information pertaining to Peter Parker and has been constructing his "funhouse" for him, which will become the final setpiece of the movie.

I'd love to see Mysterio next. Would be great to have Spidey fighting illusions and such.

Doubt they'd do the fishbowl though.

They took a risk on Electro and a risk putting tougher a villian team movie and took the risk of alienating audiences by killing off a main beloved character

But simply the look of the character could turn Sony off. You could update him, but he has to still be somewhat ridiculous to look at.

The movie would work best by being self-aware with a villian like Mysterio, just by name alone you couldn't try to turn him into something serious or dark. He'd have to be sort of pathetic and feeble upon first glance, it'd be an interesting way to do a villian as well.

Starts out really weak, getting his plans foiled again and again, but comes back strong and formidable against the hero.

something like this redesign
mysterio_spiderman__modern__by_workingclassdrifter-d5owxim.jpg

Wow nice :applaud
And it would be even more interesting if his identity was a really big deal story wise. Since they didn't go with the mystery factor with the Goblins it would be interesting to see that play with Mysterio

Personally I would love Mysterio. He's a cool villain, and if used together with someone like Vulture or Green Goblin, Spider-Man can have a hard fight in front of him.

My only fear with them using Mysterio is that they are basically giving the haters more cannonfodder for bashing the new franchise. The complaint about both of the TASM (at least the common thread) has been the tone, and how it alters from being super cheesy and lame, to being dark, brooding and serious. You had that "clash" in the first movie with the overall tone trying to be more dark and realistic, but then you have a giant lizard trying to spray gas all over the city. I feel like the second movie used the tone slightly better (despite what most say), because it felt more like the comics. I would imagine a darker movie about Peter trying to get over Gwen's death, while battling a man with a fishbowl on his head would only come off as comical.

The devil is in the details, and I think it depends on HOW they portrait Mysterio. He could be a really cool villain, or he could just look like a clumsy fool stumbling around in the weirdest costume yet.

Am I the only one who wants the fishbowl? He's into theatrics and stage, you can justify his costume.

Plus now that Spidey is really funny, I want a joke about his fishbowl helmet!

Mysterio would be cool!

Anyway, Spider-Man has one of the most interesting rogue galleries out there when it comes to superhero series (the other two are Batman and the X-Men). And its always interesting to see when Spidey faces new enemies.

Am I the only one who wants the fishbowl? He's into theatrics and stage, you can justify his costume.

Plus now that Spidey is really funny, I want a joke about his fishbowl helmet!

I would love a look that pays homage to the original costume, but maybe slightly updated. Like most other Spidey villains, he has very distinct and bright colours, and they could probably go for slightly darker tones of purple and green.

Like I said before, my only fear is that Mysterio very easily would come across as a very silly villain. If people have problems with tone already, and people criticize Rhino and Electro for being cheesy, saturday morning cartoon show villains, Mysterio would be way worse.

So much potential for the next film, we shouldn't be talking about reboots or marvel or anything, this guy is primed and ready to go in the next TASM film.

I think Mysterio is the kind of villian that Marc Webb could even pull of as he's not so flash-bangy evil, he's more "mess with your mind" evil, which lends itself to the character side of things, which he's pretty good at.

He fits into the plot so well, and I've pumped myself up for a Mysterio film so much that I'll be a little down if it doens't happen

I don't think a movie Mysterio would ever wear such a concealing mask/helmet from the comics.

Come on guys, who DOESN'T want to see this guy headline a Spidey film eventually? He could be a great psychological threat. My hype after TASM2 is VERY low for TASM3, but I think Mysterio could be great as a psychological threat. Maybe he even drives the wall crawler mad as he forces him to relive his most painful memories over and over! He is one of my all-time favorites. I want to see him used, and done right! The last couple films had poor villains, granted. But, my hype level would probably increase to some degree if he was in it.

So, who else wants a fishbowl of MYSTERIO'S!

f8ss.jpg

Would be the icing on the cake as far as titles go for 3rd film.

I still think from the Capt Stacy hallucinations to the spider sense going off when he appears and the eye pictures in Harry's meeting room scene Mysterio has a chance. :woot::word::oldrazz:

I think the possibilities of how he could be used both in the narrative and as regards action scenes is very exciting, and I used to doubt it until the SSM eps. For now let me throw in this idea for a helmet redesign as suggested by bullseye.

I'm sure I posted this concept 1st but I'm not being picky about it.

Good helmet and just needs the full Spock lava suit idea for the rest of the costume to work.

article-0-12A376A8000005DC-9_634x460.jpg

I would love a look that pays homage to the original costume, but maybe slightly updated. Like most other Spidey villains, he has very distinct and bright colours, and they could probably go for slightly darker tones of purple and green.

Like I said before, my only fear is that Mysterio very easily would come across as a very silly villain. If people have problems with tone already, and people criticize Rhino and Electro for being cheesy, saturday morning cartoon show villains, Mysterio would be way worse.

The look fits because he is a showman. If they go for a smaller daft punk helmet that's fine but I would love it to bits if they went for the fishbowl. As long as they don't over do elemets like they did with Dillon then I think he'll have the potental to be the best Spidey villain.

Mysterio is my favourite Spider-Man villain after Green Goblin so I hope they do him justice :up:

Mysterio.jpg

^ They teased Mysterio (along with the rest of the S6) in the closing credits of TASM2, for what it's worth (there was some debate about the image above, but The Wrap confirmed that it's definitely Mysterio) and he's Webb's favorite villain, as well.

Personally, I'm all for it. You can have alot of fun with him. If not as a main villain, at least a periphery villain that can bookend the film (a la Rhino). I do think we'll see him. If not in the next film, than probably in Goddard's S6 film.

Mysterio.jpg

^ They teased Mysterio (along with the rest of the S6) in the closing credits of TASM2, for what it's worth (there was some debate about the image above, but The Wrap confirmed that it's definitely Mysterio) and he's Webb's favorite villain, as well.

Personally, I'm all for it. You can have alot of fun with him. If not as a main villain, at least a periphery villain that can bookend the film (a la Rhino). I do think we'll see him. If not in the next film, than probably in Goddard's S6 film.

Webb's top 3 as the man said were Green Goblin, Kraven and Mysterio in that order.

The interview is still online from 2012.

:word:

I also thought that the colours of Gwen's outfit (aqua blue top.purple dress,white buttons) at the clock tower scene reminded me of 90's animated series Mysterio costume

MysterioLight-Series4-Loose.jpg

spidey%20saves%20gwen%20amazing%20spider-man%202.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"