Return of the Jedi Return of the Jedi Appreciation Thread

They weren't exactly *friends*, though. The way Han talks about him before they meet in ESB and the EU stuff (if you accept it, of course) alludes to them being... "occasional colleagues".
"Well,I don't trust him either,but he is my friend."

I think from what we know in the films Han thought of Lando as something of a con-man,but not someone to fear would kill you for a nickle.

In other words,don't trust him with your date or wallet,but otherwise he's harmless.

And I don't except the EU.:woot:

There's no repercussions, that's what I'm saying. Not one little scene or even a friggin' line that deals with it. No matter how close friends are, when crap like that goes down, a guy like Han wants answers from Lando himself, not just "trust him" because he's there. Maybe like on the floating barge, Han can whisper to Chewie how he still doesn't trust Lando, and Chewie being defensive about it.

What I'm saying is..it would've been nice to see some sort of line of dialog to close that arc from Empire. Even if Han teased Lando right before he lends him the Falcon at that Rebel base/ship. A throwaway line. Something would suffice. We can't just assume it.
I don't have the same feeling over this,but I have a similar feeling about AotC.I was really hoping for some kind of bond between Anakin & Owan.That way,when ANH comes around you can understand Owen's resentment of Ben.

But basically,they had little to say to each other.
"How's it goin?"
"Mind if I borrow your bike?"
"I'll be taking my droid."
"Bye."

I've never had Ewok Hate either TBH - sure, their purpose as merchandise generators is pretty apparent and always has been, but I was never particularly troubled by that even when they REALLY became the thrust of the franchise's marketing going into the mid-'80s trying to keep it on store shelves Post-OT (b'sides, I'd already moved on to the Transformers by that point). In fact, considering how arrogant and pompous the Empire is portrayed up to that point, when their command officers put their noses up at each other and the perfectly-modulated way the phrase "You Rebel scum!" rolls off their lips with expert precision, I think it's just glorious that they got owned by a bunch of teddy bears with sharp pointy sticks. :woot:

Oh, and Ep. VI also gets points not only for finally showing us Jabba, but for Luke having become a total bad^$$ in black. I just like the comparison as it replays in my head...

Ep. IV Luke: "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!"
Ep. VI Luke: "You're gravely mistaken. Soon I'll be dead. And YOU with me."

Ep. VI gets a bum rap IMO. The only really weak point in it I can find is the whole "second Death Star" thing, but even that's not enough to deter my enjoyment of it.
That never bothered me.That's like the first army to build a tank.If the enemy blows it up,would they just go "oh well,That was a failed idea." or would they try to make a better one next time?

I wish they would allude to another Death Star in 'Empire'. I know it's still in construction in 'Jedi' but that thing is huge still.

30580.jpg

I don't know why, but I have always really really love this poster.

I always loved how the second Death Star was only partially complete. Very visually interesting and the way the ships dove into it in the end amazes me every time.

"Well,I don't trust him either,but he is my friend."

I think from what we know in the films Han thought of Lando as something of a con-man,but not someone to fear would kill you for a nickle.

In other words,don't trust him with your date or wallet,but otherwise he's harmless.

There are lines that are meant to inform you of something, but that doesn't mean they can persuade you, too. They oversimplified their relationship in RotJ to get on with their respective missions.

I thought the 2nd DS was puss as an idea, but visually it was breathtaking, much more so than the one in ANH.

May I add that despite Harrison Ford not wanting to be in Return of the Jedi and having apathy towards the series, at least he retained the charm and twinkle of the Han that we all love in RotJ.

Unlike Sean Connery who was in the same situation as with Bond, but looked bored and apathetic in the later Bond movies.

ROTJ is my favorite of the OT for one simple reason: it was the 1st time Luke Skywalker came off like a legitimate hero. He spent ANH and ESB constantly whining and throwing temper tantrums.

while empire is my fav star wars and film, ROTJ may have some of the best individual scenes in all of film. The scene where Vader threatens Leia and Luke attacks up to where he tells the emperor he is a Jedi to me is the greatest scene ever filmed cause it has so much emotion, history and resolution in like a 3 min scene.

Also I have heard alot of people say Han did nothing but you did she character devlopment from him. I mean he was ready to leave the rebels in Empire and be a loner agai, but the scene where he gets mad at leia for not telling him whats wrong and starts to walk away only to come back and apologize showed a major change from where Han was at the beginning of the series.

ROTJ is my favorite of the OT for one simple reason: it was the 1st time Luke Skywalker came off like a legitimate hero. He spent ANH and ESB constantly whining and throwing temper tantrums.

While I 300% disagree that he was whiny and was throwing temper tandrums (I think that's oversimplification, one which reminds me of how people bash Anakin's writing), I agree that Luke in RotJ is the reason why I think he's my favorite SW character of all.

Well I guess we know you didn't watch those two movies.

The best thing about RotJ was Luke, but i still don't think it was as good as Empire.

I've always been much more partial to this poster. Does anyone know the artist behind this poster and the one above? They don't quite look like Struzan.
return_of_the_jedi_movie_poster_01.jpg

I've always been much more partial to this poster. Does anyone know the artist behind this poster and the one above? They don't quite look like Struzan.
return_of_the_jedi_movie_poster_01.jpg

Yeah that poster is definitely my favorite ROTJ poster.

I love Jabba's Lair, Ewoks, the speeder chase, and Vader's redemption.

All are among my favorite moments in Star Wars.

I used to have the knee jerk reaction to ROTJ and consider the weakest of the OT but now I appreciate how great it is based on the individual set pieces. It's officially my favorite Star Wars movie.

Jedi has some of the best moments of the trilogy and some of the worst. So it's a bit of a mixed bag and not as a good as its predecessors, but it's still a very good movie. I mean, there are few movies that are at the level that Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are so it's hardly a damning criticism.

Return of the Jedi would probably be my favorite if it wasn't for that damn musical scene. :dry:

Return of the Jedi would probably be my favorite if it wasn't for that damn musical scene. :dry:

Lapti Nek or Jedi Rocks :oldrazz:

Honestly...I like the Lapti Nek scene...I wish they would do away with Jedi Rocks and maybe edit some of the SE stuff from the scene into the original...(somehow fit everything but CGI Sy Snootles...)

Return of the Jedi is my personal favorite of the OT and entire Saga (and I love all the movies OT...PT...CW...). I generally agree with the criticism the film gets but...heck, I may have my rose tinted glasses on with this one.

One thing, I like the look of Palpatine so much more in this than ROTS. The make-up/look was too mask-y/fake in appearance in ROTS...my opinion of course.

Well I guess we know you didn't watch those two movies.

I can't even count how many times I've seen the OT. I can almost recite the dialogue verbatim.

From the time Luke first mewled "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!", to throwing his little teenie bopper fit on Dagobah (" Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here! We're wasting our time!") to his girlish scream when Vader told him he was Luke's father...yeah, there's more than enough evidence to call Luke a whiner. There were very good reasons that Yoda didn't want to train him.

Now the Luke in ROTJ was still hotheaded and impulsive, but that was counterbalanced by a comtemplative maturity.

Would you say Luke in ROTJ was more Qui-Gon and less Ben Kenobi at the beginning?

One thing, I like the look of Palpatine so much more in this than ROTS. The make-up/look was too mask-y/fake in appearance in ROTS...my opinion of course.

I definitely agree with that, though I'm fine with it in Revenge of the Sith because the scarring or whatever that's supposed to be is "fresh", but if I remember correctly they use the same makeup for that insert they shot for The Empire Strikes Back. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"