Return of the Jedi Return of the Jedi Appreciation Thread

I definitely agree with that, though I'm fine with it in Revenge of the Sith because the scarring or whatever that's supposed to be is "fresh", but if I remember correctly they use the same makeup for that insert they shot for The Empire Strikes Back. :dry:

I think the only changes I would ever like reverted back to the originals (if it ever happened) are the updated Palpatine in ESB (again to me the look is awful)---which I totally forgot about :doh:---and Anakin's force ghost at the end of ROTJ (for me, its more out of respect to the original actor---over any of the Anakin story related theories on the appearance of his ghost)

I think the only changes I would ever like reverted back to the originals (if it ever happened) are the updated Palpatine in ESB (again to me the look is awful)---which I totally forgot about :doh:---and Anakin's force ghost at the end of ROTJ (for me, its more out of respect to the original actor---over any of the Anakin story related theories on the appearance of his ghost)
The only change I hated was the pan flute/young anakin instead of the Yub Nub/old Anakin ending in ROTJ.

I hated the 'Jedi Rocks' addition. Not only was it distracting, it didn't do anything for the plot and was a little too long. It just screamed 'Prequel era Lucas' to me and contrasted with the stuff in the movie. Awful.

I definitely agree with that, though I'm fine with it in Revenge of the Sith because the scarring or whatever that's supposed to be is "fresh", but if I remember correctly they use the same makeup for that insert they shot for The Empire Strikes Back. :dry:

Yeah, so when you saw the same 'Revenge of the Sith' type make up in 'Empire', it took me out of the movie for a second. What a terrible change.

While it mildy affected the continuity of the actors playing Emperor, I thought the original 'Emperor' from ESB was ominous and had better line readings than the new footage with Ian McDiarmd.

I hated the 'Jedi Rocks' addition. Not only was it distracting, it didn't do anything for the plot and was a little too long. It just screamed 'Prequel era Lucas' to me and contrasted with the stuff in the movie. Awful.

I completely agree. Adding this did absolutely nothing and borders on cringe worthy when I see it.

I think my main problem with Jedi (aside from the re-hash attack the Death Star) is it sags in the middle. From the the Rebel Fleet briefing to Han & Leia in the Ewok village after Luke leaves (with maybe the exception of the speeder bike chase) drags. I like it from Jabba's palace to Luke on Dagobah, and then picks up again when Luke is brought before Vader until the end. The middle just feels like waiting to get to good stuff.

I think my main problem with Jedi (aside from the re-hash attack the Death Star) is it sags in the middle. From the the Rebel Fleet briefing to Han & Leia in the Ewok village after Luke leaves (with maybe the exception of the speeder bike chase) drags. I like it from Jabba's palace to Luke on Dagobah, and then picks up again when Luke is brought before Vader until the end. The middle just feels like waiting to get to good stuff.

I agree, but all the parts with Luke are pretty good. I like when he levitates 3PO to get out of being eaten by the Ewoks. It just seemed like exactly what a Jedi would do, use the force and their minds to get out of situation rather than fight. The ending of Jedi is excellent, the beginning is kind of ridiculous (why didn't Luke just go with droids, what was his plan?), and the special edition musical number is AWFUL, ruins the moment, makes you feel like you're in the bar in a Bugs Life not a the evil den of a vile gangster. Like you said the middle drags but it certainly wasn't half as bad as some people say. Much better than any of the prequels at least.

I agree, but all the parts with Luke are pretty good. I like when he levitates 3PO to get out of being eaten by the Ewoks. It just seemed like exactly what a Jedi would do, use the force and their minds to get out of situation rather than fight. The ending of Jedi is excellent, the beginning is kind of ridiculous (why didn't Luke just go with droids, what was his plan?), and the special edition musical number is AWFUL, ruins the moment, makes you feel like you're in the bar in a Bugs Life not a the evil den of a vile gangster. Like you said the middle drags but it certainly wasn't half as bad as some people say. Much better than any of the prequels at least.

Oh, I still like ROTJ, just not as much as ANH or TESB for the reasons I stated. The Luke thing was clever. And everything between Luke, Vader, & Emperor were great. The musical number expanded I wouldn't mind if they kept Lapti Nek, Sy Snootles didn't mug for the camera, and they didn't add that other lead singer. I did like those backup signers, particularly the Twi'lek. :cwink:

Oh, I still like ROTJ, just not as much as ANH or TESB for the reasons I stated. The Luke thing was clever. And everything between Luke, Vader, & Emperor were great. The musical number expanded I wouldn't mind if they kept Lapti Nek, Sy Snootles didn't mug for the camera, and they didn't add that other lead singer. I did like those backup signers, particularly the Twi'lek. :cwink:

Lucas just let his excitement over getting to use the CGI get the best of him with that one. I agree it wasn't as good as ANH or ESB but I can't deny how much I like the conflict between Vader and Luke. I think every young man who has a less than perfect father has that moment where they worry they are turning into him and that shot of Luke looking at his hand after cutting off Vaders is worth a 1000 words.

On a side note one of the things I wish the prequels did was develop one villain for Anakin to replace, it would have made his transformation a lot more pronounced and emotional.

Oh, the Luke and Vader stuff is the best part of Jedi, definitely. It is also some of the best stuff not only of the originals, but the whole saga! I remember the first time I saw it, I got annoyed every time they cut away to the forest battle or the space battle. The Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff is what I cared most about.

Oh, the Luke and Vader stuff is the best part of Jedi, definitely. It is also some of the best stuff not only of the originals, but the whole saga! I remember the first time I saw it, I got annoyed every time they cut away to the forest battle or the space battle. The Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff is what I cared most about.

When I was little I got mad when they cut away from Han because he was my favorite character, and I didn't fully understand why Luke wasn't trying to hurt Vader.

I love the entire ending ... The space battle, the forest fight and especially the Luke / Vadar stuff. I personally think the space battle is better than anything the PT has to offer. I've always preferred the practical models over the CGI.

The practical models are definitely better than CGI, more authentic. I don't mind the use of CGI, but only when done well and in moderation.

That shot of the Falcon going into the Death Star infrastructure is amazing. I love that whole sequence.

I saw ROTJ opening day when it first came out, which was so cool (I was in third grade, it was a big deal at the time), so that whole experience is always the first thing I think of whenever I see the movie again, so I love that movie.

I get the complaints about it, but I thought it really was a great ending to the original trilogy.

ROTJ was awesome. I loved Jabba's Palace, especially the original dance scene. I was always confused as to why that green gal (Oola) thought Jabba would let her go . . . Or if she was really trying to out-tug Jabba! Poor choice either way! Good foreshadowing to Leia though.

The Ewoks weren't Ewoks they were definitely midgets in teddy bear costumes, one of the side effects of the carbon freeze was apparently a new outlook on life because theres no way that was Han, and Luke must have been really drunk when he came up with that crazy elaborate rescue plan, but overall the story has a lot of heart, the actions great, and the climax through the end has some of the best moments in the saga. It's more flawed than Empire or the original but it's still a very good movie.

In terms of iconography, how can we dismiss Slave Leia?

We can't. She's a force to be fapped with.

The Ewoks weren't Ewoks they were definitely midgets in teddy bear costumes, one of the side effects of the carbon freeze was apparently a new outlook on life because theres no way that was Han, and Luke must have been really drunk when he came up with that crazy elaborate rescue plan, but overall the story has a lot of heart, the actions great, and the climax through the end has some of the best moments in the saga. It's more flawed than Empire or the original but it's still a very good movie.
The thing is, I'm perfectly accepting of ROTJ Han because for one, he knew he loved Leia, and she risked her life to save him. The next part of that was that he no longer owed anything to Jabba. Other Hutts may come for him eventually, but like the fact the Empire isn't gone at the end of Jedi, its not something we have to worry about. So I don't see why any changes in Han's personality are too bad here.

The thing is, I'm perfectly accepting of ROTJ Han because for one, he knew he loved Leia, and she risked her life to save him. The next part of that was that he no longer owed anything to Jabba. Other Hutts may come for him eventually, but like the fact the Empire isn't gone at the end of Jedi, its not something we have to worry about. So I don't see why any changes in Han's personality are too bad here.

He's not as consenting about well everything or as much of a smart ass (although he does show his sarcastic side on the sail barge) and he's more of a happy kid friendly guy. It's not really a problem in my opinion but it is different than before so figured i'd include it.

As a kid I just couldn't wait to see all of characters back together again. I think I was in 2nd grade when ESB came out and as a little kid, how it ended was quite the mind ****. The beginning of ROTJ was so exciting to me because of that.

As a kid I just couldn't wait to see all of characters back together again. I think I was in 2nd grade when ESB came out and as a little kid, how it ended was quite the mind ****. The beginning of ROTJ was so exciting to me because of that.

I was 6 when ESB came out, and I had no idea about the whole "I am your father" scene until I saw the movie. I actually thought the whole reason Vader was so obsessed with finding Luke Skywalker was because he was still mad at him for blowing up the Death Star. Like I said, I was 6. :oldrazz:

I've read that one of the reasons Lucas left that as a cliffhanger was so kids who were frightened of Vader could leave thinking it might not be true. I was totally one of those kids...Darth Vader scared the crap out of me when I was that age, so I refused to entertain the notion that he could actually be Luke's father. I didn't know any other kids who thought it was true, either.

But I remember seeing a commercial for ROTJ a few weeks before it came out, and by then I was almost 9, and they showed the scene where Luke asked Yoda if Vader was his father.

And that was the moment I realized it was true. No idea why, but I knew it then.

I remember seeing the film for the first time when I was little,and waiting for Yoda to answer/confirm that Vader was Luke's father.I was like "He's gonna say 'yes',I know it!":wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"