Revolution!

Discussion in 'Approval & General RPG Discussion' started by Harlekin, Aug 22, 2011.

?

You agree?

1. Yes! God, yes!

2. Nah, we're fine

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Perhaps I misunderstood the idea, but I don't think I misunderstood the intent. And honestly speaking, I can't condone the clarified idea either. Making it all flexible without a more classic feel to the games would be a bit of a mistake in trying to recruit hardcore fans of the comics, or people that simply don't approve of the movement to contemporize a majority of the universes. There has to be a balancing act to maintain, and one game per company isn't going to do that.

Yet it still doesn't do anything to contradict more than half of the concerns I listed. Again, we regress into a space of limited variety because there are literally only 3 games to choose from. And before anyone says that it doesn't matter, pay attention to those other games. They've managed to attract people that haven't even given the main RPGs a second glance. Why? Because it's not a game that interests them. Specific concepts do, that's why and how they work and that's why even a little variety is nessecary. To limit it to just one for each company is forum-wide suicide. Yes, we started out like that, but that was then. This is now, when we've grown as a section and learned from our mistakes.

...Why is that a problem?

What number of players would you rather each game maintain? One Universe seems like it's down to 3 players and it was still kicking along for awhile. 9 players by comparison is damn good if you consider what the other games are pulling in at this point. We don't need 15-20+ plus players to keep a game running along, that's just an added bonus if your game really is doing that well. It does nothing to state what condition the game is actually in.

And as UDC evidences, it is more than definitely possible to keep a game active and thriving regardless of that. So what's your point? It doesn't matter if the roster is bigger than the actual number of players, that's still only a number. If the players are committed, that's all that matters. And that's the only merit of whether a game rises and falls, period. If you've got people playing more than enough characters to branch off into interaction, and you've got an IC thread that's being posted in more than just once a week... that means you're treading on steady waters and that your game is doing well.

Well, yeah. When was it big? :huh:

All that proves is that variety is the only thing keeping those people around. Limiting it all to 3 doesn't guarantee that some people will suddenly come back and start posting. It may very well do the opposite. I mean, honestly, who's currently playing in a Marvel RPG? Yet that's one of the three proposed. So you have one game to do moderately well, one game that would probably be dead, and one game that's fairly unpredictable.

How does that status quo help us in the slightest?

#126 Batman, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

I don't have a problem if the main Marvel and DC games have player created characters. Especially if the GM's are ok with it. But it has the serious potential for abuse.

As for all this talk about how many games there should be and which...why? Why does it matter?

That's the reason we have an app process for games. GM's can try and come up with new games that fit things like this. And tf there isn't enough interest to even get it off the ground, it doesn't get played.

It's why I also support limiting the number of characters. New game shows up, you're gonna think twice about joining it just to jump on the bandwagon and quickly run out of steam if it requires you give up a character you're currently active with. And if you're not active with that character and are willing to sacrifice it, then it frees the character up for another player.

3. trustyside-kick

trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

You ask "why is that a problem?" when I make rough estimates of about 6-9 players per game...I do so because it used to be at least double that per game for high and low. And a bit less than a quarter of that population are people who are let's say "more sketchy" or "come and go". So that doesn't say much for the current core.

I don't say core to sound elitist. When I say the core of the RPGs I mean the players that really seem to commit. I hate trying to stroke his ego but you could call byrd a core part of the RPGs, but not someone like twylight despite her strong history with the games before since she hasn't played much and has been moreso sporadic (and is playing now at least) for whatever reasons. Nor do I feel I can even call myself really a core of the RPGs anymore because I'm barely active in even 1 game. Point is, our core has never been so weak. And, ****, to be honest I don't think anyone else but byrd can be considered a core of the RPGs at this moment. Core of some of the individual games? Fine then. We have people like NiteMare Shape and Hound55 who have truly been a core of the CAH RPG keeping it active, to give an example.

And it is NOT anyone's fault because Real Life happens. We are older. But to try to say that that the number of games don't affect the activity of games at this point is really just being naive. I'm being realistic, here.

If you want to go with the logic that people will choose to play what they play, then you need to find out why they aren't playing X, Y, or Z if you think it is NOT related to how much games they actually have time for.

The argument you're making at this point to me just says that you don't want your specific game to be gone. We can't be biased in this discussion. I'm not. Heck, the game I'm posting the most atm is CAH and if that had to be sacrificed for the good of the games then so be it. You can't cater to all.

And people need to stop using "that's what the app process is for". I'm not being bitter but look at my fantasy game that had so much hype back in Janurary, and then almost as much when it was finally made. You realize how fast that **** died? We can't predict as much as we used to. Again, the number of games IMO has never mattered so much with the issue of spreading people too thin because let's face it...NO ONE ever truly knows what they can handle. They don't know what RL will throw their way.

#128 trustyside-kick, Sep 20, 2011
  4. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

It be nice to do...if there were anyone out there showing any interest that we could ask.

Priority 1 should be getting exposure and new player interest.

5. trustyside-kick

Seems some people are looking at my interpretation of Keyser's idea as a punishment...it's a compromise for the good of the games. Ask byrd or wieg I wasn't for the reboot of the DC RPG months ago when first proposed. Over time I compromised for the good of the game. My interpretation of Keyser's idea is a compromise.

6. Byrd Man

Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

This.

A MILLION TIMES THIS.

Why isn't everyone right now recruiting their asses off and trying to bring in new players? Scouring the internet and all those RPG and fan fiction sites and recruiting potential players.

You know why?

Because, everyone wants to talk about problems, ***** and moan about how the RPGs are dying and nobody wants to do the work.

All you ****ers who show up in this thread to offer your two cents and never post where it's actually needed, **** off. You're all useless to me if you're not doing your part to keep these games active. Show us how much you really "care" about these games and recruit.

Recruit or die, mother****ers. Without new blood, a body cannot survive. Simple as that.

7. trustyside-kick

Talking to byrd, looking at recent and even old longevity, maybe Soze's idea that I'm trying to consider could be modified to where it is like this:

- DC RPG
    - UDC RPG (Yea, I know...2 DC RPGs and only 1 Marvel...but UDC has kept a constant pace and has had some faster moments)
    - Marvel RPG (I know...only 1 Marvel when DC has 2...well the boards has never sustained more than 1 Marvel RPG well)
    - CAH RPG (It's the only Misc. RPG that seems to be sticking it through and even though it has had some very slow paces over time...it never has died or been rebooted compared to all the other Misc. RPGs)

Thoughts?

8. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Why are we trying to design a product when we don't have any customers?

Get people interested first with what we have, and that we're open to ideas. Then work out what games exist though the app process and games dying out.

#133 wiegeabo, Sep 20, 2011
  9. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Soze and I can hit up the Project Fanboy boards (especially since the site might be shutting their boards down).

And by hit up, I mean that I ask nicely, while Soze sneaks up and skull****s them into submission.

10. Byrd Man

Exactly!

The recent newbies that have shown up, all of them have been talking about how awesome the way we do RPGs is and how laid back and friendly we are.

THAT is our selling point, not how many games we have or availability of prime characters, or which continuity that we have.

We do something not a lot of other sites out there do well, or do at all.

We're an actual community and we work together like nobody's goddamn business.

11. Byrd Man

Do it.

I hit up RPG recruitment sites on Yahoo groups every week or so, and I'm googling RPG recruitment right now as we speak.

12. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Well, first I have to make sure Soze is ok with skull****ing total strangers.

....I'll do it right now.

13. SuperFerret

SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Why don't we get our own site?

14. trustyside-kick

I have been frequenting the Project Fanboy boards. Aside from it being practically dead a dude asked about RPGs on the forums and was met with crickets and insults. I replied to his post though and mentioned our RPGs but I haven't seen a reply yet so I don't know if I replied too late for him to notice.

15. Byrd Man

That would be worse. Right now the hype gets a lot of traffic from lurkers looking for comic book news who may stumble upon the RPGs, that's how three recent newbies in UDC found us.

If we get our own site, we'd be even harder to find.

16. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Well, I'll create a thread. And you and Soze can post and help pimp it.

17. trustyside-kick

I think we will have better luck on the forums of the site that does the Comic Geek Speak Podcast or iFanboy. Much more traffic.

18. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

19. Byrd Man

20. NiteMare Shape

NiteMare Shape Livin' like a Sheen

I'm in as well. We need to get some new blood in here asap.

21. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Yes...tasty, hot blood.......

:awesome:

22. Animus

Animus Registered

As a new guy, I'll do anything I can to help :)

23. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Cool.

We just need a valid credit card number and two forms of legal ID.

24. Animus

Animus Registered

Well, damn.