Alright, it's time we settle this once and for all...

Batman

Dramatic Example
Reaction score
Over the past few months, something has become fairly alarmingly obvious to anyone who's stepped in here: New RPG's just aren't surviving. Whether it be a promising concept or an automatic flop, nothing seems to live on longer than the RPG's that were already established when this board was made. Namely, the mainstream RPG's, such as One Universe: Marvel and DC, World Of Heroes: DC, Heroes Vs. Villains: Marvel, The Ultimate Marvel and DC RPG's, and soforth. But every time a new concept is introduced, it's approved, lasts a few weeks to a month, and dies.

Well, I've had it. I'm sick of seeing concepts die and affect the RPG's already established in their wake. We're going to get to the bottom of this problem head on, and hopefully come with a resolution, whether it be my proposal or someone else's.

My proposal:

For a period of three-to-six months, we close down applications for new RPG's. Not simply disallow them, but close them down. This very board will be shifted from an approval and general RPG discussion to simply a General RPG Discussion board, and the RPG applications will be moved to the Archives.

With that time, we will focus on the RPG's we have left, and stick to them. No exceptions. And no closings, either, of any of the remaining RPG's that will die. If they die, they'll simply take up space, giving each thread a chance to live again.

If this works for the best, we'll simply get rid of the Application process altogether, and go back to a formula similar to when we were apart of the Comic sections. If it doesn't work for the best, we shift back to how things are now.

I wish it could be different, and other concepts could survive... but they can't, and haven't. And something needs to be done about it soon, before we all suffer for it.

What are your thoughts?

I voted yes for a variety of reasons. The number one reason being that I kinda suggested the idea to you.

Quite so. *places pipe back into mouth and goes back to reading War & Peace in front of a fire place*

I might suggest a slight change of terminology: A RPG is a set of rules to allow games to be played. Published ones include Mutants & Masterminds, Hero System, Several versions of Marvel Super Heroes etc. Unpublished ones may be as simple as a set of posting rules. A Game is what is played using those rules. A Campaign is a series of games dealing with some form of continuity, recurring characters, or the same game world various characters exist in.

Sounds like you're having trouble maintaining campaigns here.

Eh, it's not the terminology that is the problem here. It's the dedication here. The mainstream RPG's are carried solely by the commitment of its players. Players rarely have this dedication for new RPG's.

I have no problem with putting a lock on things.

Might as well. I really wish some of the newer RPGs had taken off, but if they're not going to stick around, we might as well focus on the ones that aren't immediately doomed.

I might suggest a slight change of terminology: A RPG is a set of rules to allow games to be played. Published ones include Mutants & Masterminds, Hero System, Several versions of Marvel Super Heroes etc. Unpublished ones may be as simple as a set of posting rules. A Game is what is played using those rules. A Campaign is a series of games dealing with some form of continuity, recurring characters, or the same game world various characters exist in.

Sounds like you're having trouble maintaining campaigns here.

How about you stop trying to rename things and sign up for an RPG?

That's the main reason why new RPGs fail. No new players, so the vets are stretched too thin.

:up:

You know my feelings on the matter, however I don't know if I like the idea of Applications floating around in the 'archives.'

You're the boss, MB. Whatever you propose I shall stick by thee.

Eh, I really don't care either way.
Though it would help with those people who can't seem to say no to an RPG, even though everyone knows the game isn't going to last.

It's too late to save WSS? or DoM, but that shouldn't stop us from doing it anyway. :up:

It looks like the poll is pretty much a landslide.

I'll wait until the weekend to declare it official, but it seems as if we're gonna say goodbye to the new RPG's for awhile. Hopefully, that'll solve the problem.

I voted yes, but may I propose we wait for a week or two for more votes. Don't decide on just 19 votes.

Well, it's not like we're dealing with a particularly large community, here.

I voted yes. Time to give the establish rpgs the attention they deserve. :up:

Eh, personally I think the poll being open a week is enough. If somebody really wanted to vote, they would've done so already. And as MB said, it's not like we're dealing with a ****load of people here.
I'd say we've got damn near two-thirds of the RPG community who have already voted.

I voted yes, but I'm good either way.

I liked the idea of an approval process, I'm just wondering if it wasn't strict or enforced enough. I wasn't involved with any of the process, but even with approvals, it seemed like a lot of new games kept popping up. Most without a lot of long term playability, IMO.

Wow. A guy takes a bit over a week off from worrying about RPG stuff for his birthday and this pops up.

I'm not going to vote, because honestly, I'm not too sure about either possibility (among other reasons). The current application process doesn't seem to be working, but that could be due to the system or the lack of new blood to these games. However, the past system had no control over anything, and the only reason that rivaling RPGs weren't made is because we as a group all seemed to get along. I'm not sure what exactly, but something should be done.

The issue we had Or -I- had was that several of the concepts had a fairly strong following in the application thread, or they were a good concept so we passed them.

In the beginning of this forum we had other ideals for passing RPG's through but they were turned down because lots of people didn't like that it would be -just- MB and I deciding on if they passed, so the rules are as long as it passes certain criteria and we both see that it does, it's accepted.

We could do an overhaul of the system but we'd need to discuss it further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"