RPG Seasonal Rotation Thoughts

twylight

One And Only
Reaction score
So I was scanning the RPG forums, and I was pondering my own RPG issues when a thought struck me...

Why, when the threads (some anyway) go in 'seasons' don't we have 'actual' seasons?

So the thought semi-fleshed-out is this:

Because we have so many RPG's, and more and more are made each month it seems, that most everyone wants to play, what if we actually put the RPG's on a rotation of sorts, or a staggering. It would take way more thought in terms of how long a season would run, how long an RPG would be 'off' season, would the sign up's for the characters for next season be before the off season, etc..etc...but for now I just wanted some ideas if it was worth it.
Because, potentially, it would take some of the stress off the players in terms of juggling 6 RPG's at one time, and hopefully pull the RPG's out of the slump they've been in for over a month.

Also, keep an open mind that if we did try this, and it didn't work we could always go back to the status quo, no harm, no foul. :)

As far as I'm concered, this is a great idea, provided that the 3 main RPGs (Marvel, DC and One Universe) are left to go on and off season as they please.

Vote! :cmad:

P.S. I shall try to let this grow organically before saying anything else ^_^

Well what do I vote? It's a great idea, but I want 3 RPGs to be unaffected by it, that's 2 possible options!

I think the idea has merit, and could really work to help out some of the RPGs that are struggling.
But I voted "no" just to be confrontational. :o

*smacks Johnny*

UK..yours is the last option :) I'll count it as a 'yes' ;) I do think that having the 'Big Three' uneffected would have to be discussed when it comes down to the actual planning of it *rotation/staggering/etc*

I like it.

For one, having a limited time for each RPG will get people to make each of their story arcs really count, and hopefully cut down on the "killing time" periods in between big arcs. Having a little down-time will also give people time to plan stuff out in advance (I know that goes against Harl's Manifesto, but that's how I play)

Plus, having a few RPGs at a time would allow us to 'demo' some of the miscellaneous games that most people don't have time for when juggling between the big ones. So if you're interested in playing, say, the Zombie RPG or the Multiversers (*coughortheSilverAgeRPGcough*), you could try it out for a Season, then decide whether it's worth coming back for another one.

I say we should at least try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, we go back to things as they are now. We've really got nothing to lose.

I like it.

For one, having a limited time for each RPG will get people to make each of their story arcs really count, and hopefully cut down on the "killing time" periods in between big arcs. Having a little down-time will also give people time to plan stuff out in advance (I know that goes against Harl's Manifesto, but that's how I play)

Plus, having a few RPGs at a time would allow us to 'demo' some of the miscellaneous games that most people don't have time for when juggling between the big ones. So if you're interested in playing, say, the Zombie RPG or the Multiversers (*coughortheSilverAgeRPGcough*), you could try it out for a Season, then decide whether it's worth coming back for another one.
True...but in a lot of cases, that "killing time" is when a lot of character development takes place.

I'm a follower, so whatever we do - I'll give it at least one go.

I like this idea, especially as I'm one that has a tough time saying no to RPGs :o

As far as I'm concered, this is a great idea, provided that the 3 main RPGs (Marvel, DC and One Universe) are left to go on and off season as they please.
Same.

By the way, I have nothing against planning things in advance, everybody does that. I have something against planning something so far in advance, that one whines about it when it can't be done. I also have a little something against too rigid a planning. There needs to be room for improv.

Agreed :up:

I was one of the people talking to twy before she posted this, so I'm definitely in for this.

I think it's a great idea, twy. Although I disagree with UK. The big three should not be exempt. As a matter of fact, the only one that should be exempt is the RPL.

I think it's a great idea, twy. Although I disagree with UK. The big three should not be exempt. As a matter of fact, the only one that should be exempt is the RPL.
Why should that be exempt? :huh:

Of all RPG's, that one is best suited for a solidified schedule. You can't keep going on and on and on in a game - otherwise, a winner will never be decided. Besides, like any sport/competition/league, we need an off-season to make roster changes, etc.

Why should that be exempt? :huh:

Of all RPG's, that one is best suited for a solidified schedule. You can't keep going on and on and on in a game - otherwise, a winner will never be decided. Besides, like any sport/competition/league, we need an off-season to make roster changes, etc.
I meant that if we were to do this, then the RPL should have a longer season than any of the regular RPGs should. It'll take alot more time to complete a season of RPL than it would a season of an RPG.

Like MB said, it's not like there's anything to lose--I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Plus, like you or someone else mentioned, it would be a good opportunity for those who're juggling RPGs or don't have time to do them all to do it without being a huge workload.

I honestly don't think we should exclude the big 3 RPG's. They're the ones that are usually most demanding, and need the absolute most concentration as far as quality, so if they were on a schedule too, it might improve both player function and storytelling.

Take it from my prespective I'm only in one RPG and most of the others don't interest me, that would mean I'd be stuck waiting around for Marvel's next season.

Well, from my understanding, there would only be a 4, 6, or 8 weeks break from Seasons. That shouldn't be an issue even for the big 3 RPGs.

From the look of things, One Universe, Marvel, and Ultimate DC will end around the same time. Are there any other RPGs that ironically group like that? If not, we should group them to be so. Although this group would have to change, since One Universe and Marvel are in the same group. Perhaps we should group one Marvel, with one DC, with one Misc. to start off pairing at least.

The only RPGs that I feel must be exempt, would be the Role Playing League and the Multiversers. These two RPGs don't really have Seasons.

Just an idea...

Group 1
- Each of these RPGs started around the time gap of August to December, so to say they will end at similar times would not be farfetched.
The "World of Heroes" DC RPG
The "Ultimate Marvel" RPG
The "Why So Serious? Gotham City Noir" RPG

Group 2 - Each of these RPGs are ending just about now. Although, this puts two of the big three together...but if you move One Universe or Marvel to one of the other groups, one of the RPGs suffer waiting longer.
The "Heroes VS Villains" Marvel RPG
The "Ultimate DC Universe" RPG
The "One Universe" DC & Marvel Crossover RPG

Group 3 - Each of these RPGs are from the new batch of RPGs that started around July and are around probably the same spots. While CAH may be slightly ahead, it wouldn't be farfetched to say these may end around the same time gap.
Create-A-Hero/Villain RPG
The "Get Violent" Video Game RPG
The Zombie RPG

I know there are more than 9 RPGs, but it seems that out of the new ones, the ones I added to besides the Big 3 are doing the best to be active; thus makes sense to predict them going to the next Season.

Can't we just leave things how they are and cut down on the number of new RPGs.

But then you have the people arguing how if people want them, they should be allowed to do so.

I think the idea has some merit, it's just I could see it turning new players away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"