The Force Awakens Rey's Origin (Speculations) *Spoilers*

Really? So Yoda talks about another hope for the Jedi which then leads them to Bespin where Vader reveals his parentage to Luke who then calls Leia through the force and it didn't make you think that holy ****! They are related? Huh. Well I guess everyone is entitled to take what they will from the films.

To me is wasn't about family, it was about another person who was force sensitive. That's about it. It's easy in retrospect now to look at it and say it was obvious, but the comment was vague on first viewing. Hell, I know there is some theory that who Yoda was referring to was not actually Leia but rather Vader.

in regards to her using Jedi abilities like Mind Trick, it seemed kind of obvious that she had her "awakening" once she touched the saber, or more specifically, once she came in close proximity to it.

then, her usage of the Force started to get more and more powerful. Even Kylo said the longer she's free, the more dangerous she'll become.

it's also possible that she had prior training and now all of that's is flooding back to her.

When it comes to mind trick she had heard of Jedi even though she though Luke was a myth. Because she had heard of him I am sure she had heard the story's of mind tricks even if she didn't know how to do it. Also I think when she resit kylo I think she may have gotten some knlowede from him.

Hindsight is always 20/20 of course but I was talking about my initial take of it back in the day before seeing Jedi. And then for Yoda to say to Luke 'there is another Skywalker' which is pretty much the same dialogue hammered the point home that's who he was talking about. To me anyways. That's the great thing about these films. Everyone can take their own view and discuss their own opinion because it really is open to interpretation. I just find some more obvious then others. I can even understand that Vader theory back then. Now with the backstory I'm pretty sure Yoda had no faith that Anakin would return and kill Sidious. He even says to Obi-Wan that the boy he trained is gone, consumed by Darth Vader he is.

hey!! Welcome to the Hype!!

and I agree mostly with your theory. very close to what I and others have put forth.

however, based on new information from the writer of the Visual Dictionary clarifying the timeline, it seems Rey was already on Jakku at the time Kylo massacred the students at the academy. so that's a hole in the theory that Kylo spared Rey from the massacre and dropped her off at Jakku.

however, that doesn't mean something else could have happened earlier that involved Kylo and Rey.

as you said, Kylo mentioned he had been tempted by the Light before. And Leia mentioned to Han that Kylo had too much Vader in him and she sent him to Luke so Luke could help him.

that suggests Kylo did something dark in the past, and that could have involved Rey.

maybe he felt jealous of Rey because she showed more Force potential or Luke favored her because she was his daughter.

so, he took her on an outing. was tempted by the Dark Side to kill her but couldn't go through with it and spared her by erasing her memories instead. He then dropped her off at Jakku. That was his temptation by the Light.

Kylo told Leia, Han, and Luke that Rey died in an accident or something. they could never find her or sense her through the Force, so they thought she was dead.

interesting I could see something like that being what happened.

When it comes to mind trick she had heard of Jedi even though she though Luke was a myth. Because she had heard of him I am sure she had heard the story's of mind tricks even if she didn't know how to do it. Also I think when she resit kylo I think she may have gotten some knlowede from him.
Yeah I think she picked up on some stuff when she looked into kylos mind

Maybe Rey is [BLACKOUT]Jason Todd.[/BLACKOUT]
nXCPIDE.gif

hey!! Welcome to the Hype!!

and I agree mostly with your theory. very close to what I and others have put forth.

however, based on new information from the writer of the Visual Dictionary clarifying the timeline, it seems Rey was already on Jakku at the time Kylo massacred the students at the academy. so that's a hole in the theory that Kylo spared Rey from the massacre and dropped her off at Jakku.

however, that doesn't mean something else could have happened earlier that involved Kylo and Rey.

as you said, Kylo mentioned he had been tempted by the Light before. And Leia mentioned to Han that Kylo had too much Vader in him and she sent him to Luke so Luke could help him.

that suggests Kylo did something dark in the past, and that could have involved Rey.

maybe he felt jealous of Rey because she showed more Force potential or Luke favored her because she was his daughter.

so, he took her on an outing. was tempted by the Dark Side to kill her but couldn't go through with it and spared her by erasing her memories instead. He then dropped her off at Jakku. That was his temptation by the Light.

Kylo told Leia, Han, and Luke that Rey died in an accident or something. they could never find her or sense her through the Force, so they thought she was dead.

Yep I heard that she had been on Jakku before the massacre. Ben could have taken her away before hand knowing he could not have saved her from his fellow knights had it been while the massacre was going on.
I found the "too much vader in him" Comment interesting because while I was watching TFA I was never found myself thinking "Rey is like Han " or "Rey is like Luke" I kept thinking. "Rey is Anakin skywalker". While Ben seems to have too much vader. Rey seems to be all anakin. The good side of anakin of course. There's definitely some yin and yang between the two. Rey and Ren both not being their true names as well.

Your theory is very plausible though. I just hope they don't go with the jealousy angle. That's brings back back memories of "WELL I SHOULD BE!!!" From AOTC when anakin is talking about being the most powerful Jedi ever.

But think about it. It's SO simple.

Rey comes from Jakku, which is a desert planet. Jason Todd was killed in the desert.

Jakku looks exactly like Tatooine, except for the fact that it has only one SUN. REY-SUN rhymes with JASON.

We know almost nothing about Rey's past, other than she's waiting for her family to come back. Jason Todd died while he was looking for his long lost mother.

Jason Todd was revived in Infinite Crisis when Superboy pounded on the walls of reality. It merged one reality with another. Perhaps when this happened, Jason also awoke as Rey in the Star Wars universe.

It was all right in front of us the whole time...

Yep I heard that she had been on Jakku before the massacre. Ben could have taken her away before hand knowing he could not have saved her from his fellow knights had it been while the massacre was going on.
I found the "too much vader in him" Comment interesting because while I was watching TFA I was never found myself thinking "Rey is like Han " or "Rey is like Luke" I kept thinking. "Rey is Anakin skywalker". While Ben seems to have too much vader. Rey seems to be all anakin. The good side of anakin of course. There's definitely some yin and yang between the two. Rey and Ren both not being their true names as well.

Your theory is very plausible though. I just hope they don't go with the jealousy angle. That's brings back back memories of "WELL I SHOULD BE!!!" From AOTC when anakin is talking about being the most powerful Jedi ever.

well, given Kylo's personality and obsession with Vader, jealousy would fit.

you even saw a glimpse of that in the final duel. When he saw Finn holding the saber, I'm guessing he recognized it as Vader's saber, that's why he said "That saber belongs to me!"

but yeah. that's why I think Rey and Kylo should be related, because they would represent the Light and Dark side of Anakin's legacy and bloodline. Another poster had a good post about that a few days ago, too.

and now, after watching that YouTube vid analyzing Rey's Theme and hearing that tiny bit of Vader's theme in her's, I'm now more convinced she's Vader's granddaughter and most likely Luke's daughter.

If she's Luke's daughter, who is the mom? Or do you think it doesn't matter?

I feel if she is Luke's daughter, her mother should be more significant than "the chick Luke banged," and I feel she should have some kind of interesting stories attached to her. There's too many characters who are defined wholly by their father and his legacy, and if Luke's her father that's a definite threat to mom's significance.

I'd prefer a new version of Mara Jade, or at least the idea of a resourceful Imperial agent gone good/force user who can assist him in some of his education. Especially if they make her an enemy of Snoke and the First Order, maybe even reveal she left Rey on Jakku while she went on a quick missions against them and is either marooned or dead.

If she's Luke's daughter, who is the mom? Or do you think it doesn't matter?

Could Captain Phasma be Rey's mother? The fact that they had no scenes togther plus Phasma's minimal screentime, despite heavy advertising could have been done on purpose….

See I disagree, I think she HAS to be a Skywalker. The main villain of this series is a Skywalker, And his boss, wants another Skywalker dead. It's ALREADY about the Skywalkers.

Secondly, Rey's abilities. A random force user who can defeat a Skywalker? The possibility of her being Luke's daughter makes that acceptable. Without that, she's Ahsoka on steroids. If Rey is just s random force user, then she goes from an interesting character to a complete Mary Sue.

Let's make no mistake, she was a Mary Sue and she herself was a plot device, who used the force as a plot device. Having her be of the Skywalker lineage, directly, justifies that. Without it, she's a Mary Sue.

But let's not get surprised if it turns out to be true. WAY too many factors point to it, and the filmmakers aren't gonna tease something SO impactful as a red herring. Luke's Daughter

The descendant of Palpatine would have very strong Force affinity, and as the Emperor could kick Vader's ass in a fight, Rey Palpatine has a good chance against Kylo.

And if the Skywalkers dumped a five year old onto that hell planet, we are going to have a Han Shot First sized issue.

The biggest issue I have is if Luke indeed left Rey on Jakku then it goes completely against his character. Why would Luke, of all people, leave his daughter on a planet of scavengers who have to fight for survival every single day? .

What Luke has learnt from the Jedi;

1. When the going gets tough go into exile
- Yoda went in to exile
- Obi-wan went in to exile

2. At least have someone watch over from you from a distance
- Max von Sydow's character is the man here for sure

I never heard of the term Mary Sue until last week.

And I know the Vader reveal left audiences shocked as well but did it because it made it a better story. They didn't do a twist for the sake of a twist.

And with the Vadar reveal that was only decided during the shooting of the movie where the original line was "I killed your father" because they decided it served the story better in the long run once ROTJ had been mapped out.

I took it as once she learned that she could resist Kylo Ren it was a bit more "wonder if I can convince this storm trooper guy to let me go? Seems like I can get into someone's head, let's give it a go"

I've come around to thinking the vagueness of Rey's backstory is not much more than Abrams and Disney leaving their options open. I don't think it's a ploy to misdirect, I just think they're intentionally leaving doors ajar to go down different paths. I honestly don't think anything is 100% locked down as of yet and what we are all doing at present is debating something which hasn't been signed off.

well if Anakin didn't have a dad, why does Rey need a mother.....

Biggest difference between Luke and Rey is that Luke was still raised by a family. His Aunt and Uncle were his parents.

I've come around to thinking the vagueness of Rey's backstory is not much more than Abrams and Disney leaving their options open. I don't think it's a ploy to misdirect, I just think they're intentionally leaving doors ajar to go down different paths. I honestly don't think anything is 100% locked down as of yet and what we are all doing at present is debating something which hasn't been signed off.

Wasn't the script and screenplay already finished for VIII prior to shooting VII?

Wasn't the script and screenplay already finished for VIII prior to shooting VII?

That doesn't mean they weren't changing things as Episode VII was being filmed.

And I think the comparison is more then just the family thing. It's a revelation that is important and is like 'ah that makes sense'. It's not meant to be **** your pants altering. Remember the general audience isn't on a message board discussing Rey's parentage. They will take what is given and not look any deeper. You would confuse the majority of the audience by intentionally pulling the rug out from them just for the hell of it. I'm open to her not being a Skywalker but they have to make sure they explain it where all these hints in this movie aren't seen as purposefully misleading.

Since the movie pointed to Rey being Luke's daughter, it's likely the case. Like you said, addressing why these hints are misleading would be a necessity, an unnecessary and easily avoidable one.
Also, in addition to your message board comments, people on message boards generally analyze and think about a particular subject more than the average Joe (guilty). As a result, I think these theories are subject to lots of personal bias. Which is why speculation is hard, and, sometimes, competitive.

But think about it. It's SO simple.

Rey comes from Jakku, which is a desert planet. Jason Todd was killed in the desert.

Jakku looks exactly like Tatooine, except for the fact that it has only one SUN. REY-SUN rhymes with JASON.

We know almost nothing about Rey's past, other than she's waiting for her family to come back. Jason Todd died while he was looking for his long lost mother.

Jason Todd was revived in Infinite Crisis when Superboy pounded on the walls of reality. It merged one reality with another. Perhaps when this happened, Jason also awoke as Rey in the Star Wars universe.

It was all right in front of us the whole time...
XWOuu8G.gif

I never heard of the term Mary Sue until last week.
You were so lucky to not know for the longest time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"