RIP Chadwick Boseman :(

Discussion in 'Black Panther' started by Smurphftw, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I'm still having a difficult time accepting this. It just can't be real. I'd been waiting for a Black Panther film for years, and Boseman was a huge reason why it's my favorite solo super hero film. The man could say more with a wordless expression than most actors could say with a page full of dialogue.

I had hoped to meet Boseman at some future comic con and get him to sign some of my BP figures. I'd hoped to tell him what his work in bringing the character to life meant to me. While that can't happen, I've gained another level of appreciation for him this week. After hearing about the schedule that he maintained despite getting his diagnosis, it's become clear that he was just as much of a hero as his fictional counterpart.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  2. Detective Conan Registered

3. samsnee Ok

For those who missed the ABC special

KaijuDude1992 and Black Is King like this.
  4. samsnee Ok

It’s just sad all around. If he thought he could still beat it, I doubt he was able to really say goodbye to anyone else besides close friends and family.

5. weezerspider Registered

That Hollywood Reporter article confirms that the studio didn’t know and Feige only learned an hour before Boseman died.

6. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Yeah, that is likely spot on. Not a lot of time to really get your affairs in order.

Sad all around.

7. Black Is King Registered

People will say the phrase and do the salute until the end of time.

ICONIC.

8. B [insert witty comment]

I just saw his last video on Youtube, presumably taken from Instagram or Facebook, some sort of social media from April 15th according to what he says in the video.

He didn't look great in that video at all, looked quite frail, his face was quite gaunt & his neck looked very thin in comparison to how he has looked in various films.

I wonder did he know that his cancer was getting worse or was he given so many months to live & his people chose not to make that public or was it just 1 of those cases that he got really bad inside 24-48 hours.

Incredibly sad.

:(

9. Black Is King Registered

So incredibly sad
    According to the Hollywood Reporter article posted this morning, even a week before he died, Chadwick Boseman thought he would get better and would start getting in shape for Black Panther 2 this month.

#159 Black Is King, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. Kane52630 TELEVISION RULES THE NATION

Almost every day since his passing, I've had a few tracks from the OST playing on rotation.

KaijuDude1992 and Pennywise like this.
  11. Pennywise Registered

Black Panther Producer Remembers Chadwick Boseman's Moving Last Text About Giving Back to Sick Kids

KaijuDude1992 and Black Is King like this.
  12. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

13. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

14. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

It's in the extras for Black Panther, btw.

KaijuDude1992 and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  15. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

16. HBarnill Registered

I want to apologize for my horrid post I made. I make no excuses. I should have never done that.

17. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Can't change the past and this is a solid apology. I'm glad you posted this. :up:

Spider-Fan likes this.
  18. Marvolo Registered

Honestly I don't want them to recast. Yes the character must live on at some point, but it feels too linked to Chadwick right now. Id retire the character of T'Challa in the live action universe. And pass the mantle of Black Panther to one of the other characters. Make M'Baku king, and have him refuse the mantel of Black Panther because he wants it to go to Shuri in honor of her brother.

19. Marvolo Registered

Chadwick should have at least told Feige in confidence, but I completely understand why he didn't tell anyone. It would have leaked, and put a dark cloud over the role, and overshadowed everything Chadwick was doing. The media would have hounded Chadwick and his family incessantly.

Now I want to chew Marvel a new *******. They dropped the ball. It's a damning display of piss poor inattentive management that Marvel Studios and Feige didn't realize something was wrong with Chadwick, and confront him. How do you work with someone that much and not once notice something was off with him? Ive lived around stage 3 cancer victims. How did the executives and multiple directors at Marvel Studios not notice the evidence. Multiple surgeries, stitches, chemo, excessive vomiting, exhaustion, bouts of low stamina, extreme caution around any sick crew members, heavy prescription drug use, loss of appetite etc. not register with them as red flags. I can believe they could miss some of that evidence, but all of the evidence for years...there's no excuse.

From here on Marvel and Disney need to do a better job and take more of an interest in the health of its employees. Ffs, is it too much to ask for them to require yearly physicals? I can't believe that an industry that allows its employees to risk their lives in stunts, an industry that has to pay millions to provide health insurance for its actors and crew doesn't already require yearly physicals and regular doctor examinations. Someone at Marvel or Disney should have caught this! The whole industry needs to do better!

20. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

21. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Hmm...

Saw an interview with an older African-American actor who worked on one of Boseman's last completed projects. He said at the time his own wife asked about how it was to work with Boseman? His answer was that he thought that Boseman was too "precious" and that the hype from Black Panther had gone to his head. His reasons for thinking that at the time was seeing all the assistants, massage therapists, nutritionists, personal trainers, wellness experts etc. around Boseman, Boseman's requests for extra breaks and the like. To him and I dare say many others involved in Hollywood productions, seeing all that was just chalked up to "diva" syndrome that is common to a lot of onscreen talent in movies and film. In hindsight of course in this case it was in fact about how Boseman needed all that assistance to make it through a day on set. What seems like something that should have been obvious to us now at the time was mistaken for something else and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a common point of view which allowed Boseman to keep his secret.

Not sure at this point we have enough info to condemn Marvel Studios for anything in particular, especially given how much power Boseman was flexing in this situation, given what we know right now. Boseman was the one in the driver's seat in terms of how his sickness was handled. I'm not sure of the extent on principal or in reality you can hold them responsible for choices Boseman made.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  22. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

23. Vigilante LXXXV Chi-Town Panther

Kinda late but finally signed up. This death hit strong because not only was he a great young actor including being fantastic as Black Panther/T'Challa (one of my favorite marvel characters)but he always seemed like a cool guy that would be nice to hang out with. Gone way too soon!

KaijuDude1992 and Shuri like this.
  24. Detective Conan Registered

The El Capitan theatre where Chadwick Boseman six years ago was first unveiled as Black Panther has paid tribute to the late actor.

upload_2020-9-9_8-59-58.jpeg

Chesterfield, KaijuDude1992 and Shuri like this.