Robert Downey's Best Performance as Tony Stark/ Iron Man?

kguillou

Avenger
Reaction score
We've now seen Downy play Tony Stark/ Iron man in SEVEN movies, some in a main role, some in a supporting. We will be seeing him two more times before (presumably) he'll be giving the character a rest. In light of this, in which movie do you think Downey shined the best as the character?

I personally think Downey was never better at personifying the Tony Stark from the comics than in the very first Iron Man movie. Charismatic, smooth, debonair, he had his ad-libbed quippy-ness reigned in, it literally felt like watching the comic character come to life. I feel that in later movies, we are watching more RDJ than Stark onscreen.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I would agree, Iron Man. Close second for Captain America: Civil War

Agree that Iron Man was the best; I'd put The Avengers second.

His first is still his best, but he has never turned in a bad performance as Tony.

1. Iron Man
2. The Avengers
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Iron Man 3
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Iron Man 2
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. The Incredible Hulk (though it shouldn't really count as it's a quick cameo)

The first Iron Man, without a doubt. To be fair, getting a once faded, alcohol addicted, self loving narcissist to play well.... was a genius move.

This scene too highlights his mastery of the role....

[YT]NsRLOV4pHyk[/YT]

and this is just geek joy heaven....

[YT]c2KrQgjU0ZM[/YT]

Last edited:
Civil War. Though I never did get around to watching IM3.

1. Iron Man 2
2. Iron Man 1
3. The Avengers
4. Age of Ultron
5. Civil War
6. Iron Man 3

To me his top 5 performances for me anyway would go like this:

5- Spider Man Homecoming (2017)
4- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
3- Avengers (2012)
2- Iron Man (2008)
1- Captain America: Civil War (2016)

The first one, followed by Civil War, although I admit I might be biased because in Iron Man he was such a breath of fresh air compared to other superheroes but by the sequels we were used to him (and the myriad of other heroes that tried to mimic him) so the originality was gone.

I definitely think Civil War had his best performance of the sequels. He did a great job of conveying the amount of pain he was going through in that film.

Agreed on Iron man and Civil War. Downey's performance was perfectly nuanced and reigned in in both of those movies. I feel like he went a little too far with the Downey-isms in all of the other movies which I'm sure isn't even a problem to most people anyway. But I kind of miss the smooth, debonair, fancy suit wearing, martini sipping playboy Stark.

IM1 tops it for me.
Then Avengers 1 TIED with civil war
Then IM 2
Avengers 2
Homecoming
and lastly IM3.

1. Iron Man
2. Civil War
3. The Avengers

Gotta say Civil War followed by Iron Man. Only because his character has gone through so much and we’ve seen so much change from him. Him pleading with Steve before the Bucky escape and before the airport fight was really sad.

Iron Man
Civil War
Avengers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"