Robert Pattinson IS The Batman

It’s shorter.
Yep. It also succeeds at what its going for, a light dumb action/comedy, better than BvS succeeds at being a Serious Mythic Epic The manifold problems of Josstice League are far funnier to me than the problems of BvS. There’s nothing anywhere near as good as the opening of BvS but the low bar it sets for itself is ultimately helpful.

They’re both incredibly ugly, poorly written, badly made movies though.

I thought it was funny when Holt McCallany jumped out of the window holding two big bags with money signs on them.
I love that this was the less wacky cut of that scene compared to what Whedon first delivered.

Or Batman calling Alfred and saying his name right in front of a random criminal. Melonhead Whedon was never good.

He doesn’t clearly say “Alfred” in front of them.

JL is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen in my life. BvS is just a movie I have issues with, and SOME of those issues could have pay offs in ZSJL so no...I can’t compare the two. It’s not even the same ballpark.

Desperation for content and I suspect the extremely vocal, aggressive fan base creating a false impression of significant demand. Studios are incredibly easily manipulated by vocal fandom minorities these days.

We’re all kinda guilty of perpetuating it, as evidenced by this thread turning into a discussion of it, but I do look forward to a day when DC fandom doesn’t in large part revolve around Snyder drama. It felt like we were moving away from it and then AT&T decided what they really had was too much money and maybe it was time to set some of it on fire.

I mean, I will be very fair. As much as I despise pretty much everything done by Snyder in the DCEU, and expect the Snyder Cut to be awful. . . *in theory* releasing a Snyder Cut is not a bad marketing move. Yes, it will probably be awful, and yes, the Snyder Cult is not actually a big audience, but its a weird move that draws attention. If you can do that without spending too much money, the advertising value may well be worth it.

The problem is not intrinsically the making of a Snyder Cut, its the insane budget put behind it. $10 million to finish his cut, sure, that's a smart investment on attention. $100 million? You could make an entire new movie from scratch, or TV series, for that much. There is no way it could possibly pay off, not to release a worse version of a movie that already bombed.

I honestly don’t blame Snyder, it’s WB that baffles me. Man of Steel was like, hmm, people where ok with it, but mostly off brand recognition, so WB said “Zack, people didn’t really respond to your take on Superman, so we’re going to give you free reign on the sequel to do whatever you want”. Then people where like “I mean, we like the idea of Batman and Superman in a move together, but no one really liked the movie surrounding them”, so WB said “Zack, people are just not taking what your throwing down, so go ahead and make Justice League now”, so Zack goes and makes Justice League and WB is like “WTF, dude. This is exactly like the other two movies you made, we gotta bring someone else in now”.

??????

Possible explanation: Snyder's take on the DC properties was flattering enough for the sensibilities of the WB execs involved that they rationalized its failures away hardcore, at least until they no longer could. After all, there's *always* some explanation or excuse for why a movie failed, if you are motivated to pursue it. All it takes is presuming that some top WB execs really like superficially serious grimdark deconstructions for their superhero movies, either because of a prior bias towards "real art" nonsense, or because Nolan was ridiculously successful.

Snyder was their last choice on the directors list for MOS and initially he didn't wanna do it, Nolan had to convince him. Matt Reeves didn't want it. Ironically, Ben Affleck didn't want it. Those are the foundations for this 'cinematic universe' that was originally supposed to be a superman trilogy before it turned into this supposed 5 movie arc that no one knew about, instead thinking it was WB's answer to Marvel.

but at least we have Bob Pattinson now. Everyone gets what they want in the end.

You know, that actually makes me wonder about all the BTS details of WB attempting to pitch MoS to directors. So essentially no director wanted to do the project. Why? Was it just a disinterest in touching such a legacy-filled character? Was it the tough time limit related to the various lawsuits? Or was there something about the exact way WB was pitching the project which sent directors fleeing?

tenor.gif

You’re not wrong.

Maybe something interesting will happen at CCXP regarding this. New GCPD writer/showrunner? A photo or 2?

It’s honestly unnecessary right now.

He doesn’t clearly say “Alfred” in front of them.

The New 52/Rebirth comics are dumb in this aspect. Batman and Co. are constantly yelling "Penny-One " (at least they try there) or "Dick" (case in point) all of the time while being punching arms length from a criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"