The Winter Soldier Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

R_Hythlodeus

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ptain-america-sequel-20130328,0,5513163.story
Robert Redford's 'new territory' with 'Captain America' sequel

By Mark Olsen March 29, 2013, 8:00 a.m.

Though Robert Redford may be the very platonic ideal of a movie star -- a matinee idol from films such as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Sting," "The Way We Were," "The Electric Horseman" and "Out of Africa" -- he has of late been involved with smaller-scale, socially conscious dramas. So many were surprised last week by the news that Redford would be appearing in the Marvel Studios comic-book action sequel "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" as a senior leader in the secret government agency of S.H.I.E.L.D.
"I'm doing this film because it's different. It's a new thing for me," Redford explained during a Q&A as part of the L.A. Times Indie Focus Screening Series this week. The Academy Award winner was appearing at his own Sundance Sunset Cinema in support of his latest effort as director, producer and star, "The Company You Keep." A thriller about former '60s radicals forced to confront their pasts in the present day, "Company" also stars Shia LaBeouf, Brit Marling, Susan Sarandon and Julie Christie.
Though the 76-year-old Redford has not previously appeared in a contemporary superhero/comic-book movie like "Captain America," he added: "I think these films are really powerful. I think they're great. This is the kind of film I would have loved to see as a kid."
He confirmed it himself.

And I think the man deserves his own thread!

After hearing the casting rumors I watched "Spy Game" for the third time. Redford was absolutely riveting in the film as a grizzled CIA agent trying to pull off one last covert operation. Hopefully the decade plus since that movie was released hasn't diminished his energy and charisma, because he absolutely blew Brad Pitt off the screen in their scenes together.

Honestly, this is just terrible casting for the Box office. I pray people see him as just an actor and not the liberal nutball activist he's become. Marvel really flubbed this one up without question. Redford is already taking more heat for his latest movie where they pay tribute to the Weather Underground homegrown terrorist movement. That is NOT going away any time soon.

Trust me, this casting will really hurt the film.

I hope that you can join the rest of us and not care about Mr. Redford's political leanings.

"Trust me." -- No

Honestly, this is just terrible casting for the Box office. I pray people see him as just an actor and not the liberal nutball activist he's become. Marvel really flubbed this one up without question. Redford is already taking more heat for his latest movie where they pay tribute to the Weather Underground homegrown terrorist movement. That is NOT going away any time soon.

Taking heat from who? Fox News? *There's* a shock.

And you make it sound like "liberal nutball activist" is a hobby he just recently picked up. He's been an up-front outspoken political activist since the 1960s, and his politics haven't hurt *any* of the dozens of movies he's been part of for the last 50 years.

Trust me: no one needs to trust you about this at all.

Glad to hear it's official. Now I'm looking forward to seeing CA:TWS even more.

lolno

Taking heat from who? Fox News? *There's* a shock.

And you make it sound like "liberal nutball activist" is a hobby he just recently picked up. He's been an up-front outspoken political activist since the 1960s, and his politics haven't hurt *any* of the dozens of movies he's been part of for the last 50 years.

Trust me: no one needs to trust you about this at all.

Don't kill the messenger. I'm going to pay to see it over ten times no matter what.

Love or hate Fox News they get high ratings for a reason. A lot of people will not give money to a film with a Redford or a Sean Penn any more. They have crossed the line on too many fronts. Lions For Lambs is a good example. Big cast but a big Box office tank. This isn't average politics we're taking about. This is ultra-extremists and Marvel really should stay clear of it no matter if it's right wing or left wing. "The Company You Keep" (Redford's new film) is taking a lot of heat... rightfully so in this case.

Let the Fox bozo's bellyache about it all they want. All they'll end up doing is giving the film free publicity.

Let the Fox bozo's bellyache about it all they want. All they'll end up doing is giving the film free publicity.

If there is such a controversy, I'll agree with this. Did that Brubaker controversy a few years back hurt the comic sales?? Can't remember, but I doubt it.

I love Redford as an actor, whatever his politics may be. He has a great body of work and I'm glad he's in the film. :up:

Forty years ago he would have made the perfect Cap. Ten or fifteen years ago I'd say Aaron Eckhart.

Last edited:

That is exactly what will happen. Faux News may try to gin up some pseudo-controversy over Redford being in the film to get their geriatric viewership in an uproar, but all that will do is heighten the public's awareness of the film. Most Americans will simply ignore their bat**** insane ravings and decide to see (or not see) CA based on their personal preferences.

the liberal nutball activist he's become.
stopped reading after this.
honestly, can someone from the US please tell me why people with what would be called common sense in every other place in the world are labeled 'liberal nutjobs' in parts of the states? sometimes I just don't get it.

stopped reading after this.
honestly, can someone from the US please tell me why people with what would be called common sense in every other place in the world are labeled 'liberal nutjobs' in parts of the states? sometimes I just don't get it.

Welcome to the Red State/Blue State Fox News/MSM Civil War currently raging in America. ;)

HahaOhWowHaddock.jpg

How about no.

The first Captain America made more money overseas than in the U.S anyway. I doubt most the demographics who will see Captain America care about a veteran actors politics enough to boycott the film. There are alot of young people who don't even know who Redford is.

Not everyone cares about the Left/Right nonsense in American politcs right now. Captain America is summer blockbuster popcorn flick.

Fox News gets high ratings because people are idiots.

Fox News gets high ratings for two reasons. People like to have a person or group on people to blame for all of their problems, and people usually prefer simple explanations over complicated ones...even if the simple explanation is complete bull****.

See, just this news let's all the moronic venom spew even on a comic book site. Hopefully, Redford has nothing more than a glorified cameo, will get lost in the shuffle and a release date of next year will let things fade.

Whatever the case, it's certainly not going to cripple the Box office by any means but it probably cut millions from the bottom line for no reason whatsoever. I know the mindset of which I speak. Obviously, some people don't understand the full scope of the political landscape. I usually look past such things for the most part when I make my entertainment decisions but a lot of people don't.

Party affiliation is fine and it really doesn't matter at all. RDJ, Sam Jackson and Scar-Jo can raise money for Democrats because they do so in good faith. No one cares and judging by the last election over half the country agrees with them. Different ideology has always worked to America's benefit. Most Conservatives know this is true. However, they do get worked up in to a lather by extremists like Redford, Penn, etc. When they promote terrorists or anti-American propaganda, people never forget or forgive such things. That will hurt the Box office to a degree. How much is the question at this point. Too small to matter? Maybe but Redford brings nothing to the table but a negative at this point in his career. No film this century he has been in has been considered a hit. NONE.

Fox News gets high ratings because people are idiots.

Fox News gets the highest news rating but their viewership calls everyone else "mainstream."

College education is for snobs. Mitt Romney wins in a landslide.

Robert Redford joining Captain America has made global news and has been overwhelmingly positive.

Robert Redford's politics isn't exactly frontpage news to most people. I have not heard of millions of people objecting to him being cast or a huge backlash.

Last edited:
See, just this news let's all the moronic venom spew even on a comic book site.

You are the sole person who even brought this up. If you hadn't we would not even be discussing it. I don't agree with Redford's politics any more than I'd agree with Heston's or John Wayne's. It a non-issue to me. I'm only concerned with how he'll help this movie be even better than it might otherwise have been.

Very few regular moviegoers care enough about an actors' politics to let their presence in a film stop them from seeing it. Lions for Lambs bombed because it looked like the boring tripe that it was.

I don't care about Tom Cruise's weird views, heck, I don't even care about Mel Gibson's weird views. All I care about when I watch a film is whether or not they are a good actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"