Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by R_Hythlodeus, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Interesting because I always thought Fury was the head of SHIELD. It could be that Redford is the leader of the WSC which in turn, technically, makes him Fury's boss.

2. Chewy

Chewy REDACTED

Fury is the head of SHIELD, but it seems that we're heading toward Fury no longer being the head of SHIELD ;)

3. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe SLJ is Nick Fury Jr, and Redford is THE Nick Fury of 616 cigars.

4. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I guess Fury's blunt disobedience in TA got him in trouble.

5. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Yep, I think Fury gets handed his walking papers in this movie. Whether or not he returns at the end....well, thereby hangs a tale.

6. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Probably going with the storyline where Fury goes into hiding and Pierce takes over for him. Maybe Fury doesn't go into hiding here and is just demoted though.

7. ThePowerCosmic

Maybe Redford's character takes on the codename of Nick Fury when he's in command of SHIELD. He'll probably end up keeping Pierce, though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  8. Lightsplasher

Lightsplasher Well-Known Member

Or maybe Redford's character is the previous-SHIELD-commander or something like that ... I don't think SLJ will stop being Nick Fury .

9. ThePowerCosmic

I'd like that.

10. The Riddler

The Riddler WITH NEW MATERIAL

he fits the bill for a 616 fury; would be cool.

11. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Maybe Redford is Nick Fury, and then the first time he sees SLJ, he calls him 'Marcus'.

12. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Fury in the comics, was appointed director of SHIELD, he didn't create the whole thing ground up.

Maybe Redford is playing "Del Rusk". :woot:

13. Dark Raven

We seem to be getting more news on Redford than on Emily Van Camp's character.

And btw, if Redford IS Dell Rusk, then SHIELD have to be the most incompetent cryptologists around to not figure out that simple anagram.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  14. BullMcGiveny

Yeah. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up playing Carol Danvers.

15. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

Well Redford is a Hollywood icon and his role is quite unknown while Emily VanCamp is obviously playing Sharon Carter.

The whole reason they even used Peggy in the first one was to set up Sharon in the sequel. She is his main love interest.

16. HUMANIMAL

HUMANIMAL ...

someone has to clarify this for me...nick fury is the director of shield...a head of a company is higher ranked isnt it? so fury is just the one for organising missions and the war tactitian while robert redford has to deal with the politic aspects and stuff ...could this be something along those lines??

17. Dark Raven

Depends on how SHIELD works. If it's like the CIA, then usually the Director IS the Head.

But even the Director of Central Intelligence reports to the Director of National Intelligence. And then there are various directors within the CIA like the Director of Operations, who does the every day running of things I think. So it really depends how SHIELD is set up, and what exactly Nick Fury is. Is he THE Director of SHIELD or is he just some kind of Director of Operations?

Would the very top Director of SHIELD get involved in the running of operations like Fury does?

18. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

This is a great news. I'm happy to see such a renowned and esteemed actor like Robert Redford joining the cast of CA:TWS. However, the cast seems to be growing on a daily basis, and I hope it won't overwhelm the movie too much.

19. BullMcGiveny

Well, that and they needed a love interest, and it's not like Steve has a lot of WWII-era love interests. It's pretty much her and Betsy Ross, who is corny and prone to be confused with Betty Ross.

I was sort of being cheeky, anyway. making a joke about how secretive it is and how many non-essential characters seem to be included.

20. TheLastAvenger

TheLastAvenger Well-Known Member

When those bits of casting news are all you hear about a movie for over a year, it creates the illusion that the cast is "bloated." But we have no idea how big of a role any of these characters are going to play. Iron Man 3, for example, its casting was setting up as if there were a whole bunch of baddies. Now, it appears more and more likely it will focus on Mandarin and the rest of the roles are just henchmen. I can't imagine things being much different with CA:TWS. Some roles may end up being smaller than we'd like, while others may end up being much larger than we expect. I'm sure it will balance out in the end, however.

21. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I wonder what role he'll play as the Head Of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

22. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

And it's not the movie is going to be told through each of the characters' eyes. The movie will be seen through CA's POV and his interactions with these roles.

23. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Why not? Fury has gone rogue on several occasions in the comics, so there's plenty of precedent. He disobeyed a direct order from his superiors on the Council in Avengers, and Avengers features deleted scenes that have the Council pretty much grilling Maria Hill to build up a case against Fury; so there's definitely a plot point still hanging out there that the Council clearly wants to fire him.

In any event, I doubt Fury would *permanently* lose his position; he'll probably be back to Director at the end of the movie as everything gets back to normal.

24. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Redford = Nick Fury :D .

Jackson was just a figurehead/decoy/LMD all along.

25. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Perhaps Nick Fury is a code name like another super spy we're all familiar with... what was his name??? Oh yeah! James Bond.

But anywho I just love that Robert Redford is here with us. Just a real win. The spoiling doesn't stop with Marvel/Disney

Samuel L Jackson
    Jeff Bridges
    Mickey Rourke
    Anthony Hopkins
    Natalie Portman
    Hugo Weaving
    Tommy Lee Jones
    Ben Kingsley
    Robert Redford

I mean, I know its not unheard of for good actors to try their hand at blockbusters... But so many GREAT actors in the same series?! So unprecedented.