The Winter Soldier Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

That bit is a good illustration of why I was rolling my eyes at that "phoning it it" garbage The Guard posted earlier. :whatever:

He was hovering somewhere between actual regret because he legitimately liked the maid and "****, now I have to take out the garbage" because he knew she'd seen too much. And he communicated it effortlessly.

I'd love to know what actual dialogue bits got cut out due to Redford's advice, as per various interviews.

YES! The "Oh, Renata!" was total perfection here. The perfect combination of "I liked you as my maid!" and "But now I'm gonna have to kill you. Sorry." That, along with just casually offering WS milk and chilling with him while giving oders to kill, then coming back to the scene later on when he's brainwashing Bucky… RR played so many layers in this film.

He was the exact opposite of phoning it in!

I found the "I REALLY wish you'd knocked" moment morbidly funny. What was most hissable to me was when he had Bucky's mind wiped again, and actually what brought the coldness of that scene home was when he slapped him beforehand. There was just something so cold and nonchalant in the way he backhanded him across the face, like how he'd smack a disobedient dog or something (which was pretty much exactly what Bucky was to him).

Yep. The biggest metaphor for me as to how Pierce treated Bucky was Bucky was his pitbull for dog fights. Used, abused, never cared for, never treated as an actual living person (though now I've read a ton of TWS meta-analyses that say Bucky likely imprinted on Pierce like a little duckling even through all the abuse… which literally breaks my heart :( ) Basically, Pierce and HYDRA abused him until he was little more than a dog suitable only for killing other dogs… until Steve comes along and is basically the first person in decades to treat him like an actual human being.

Unless there's more to Natasha's story about Bucky than we know about…

(Though I do have to thank the Guard for posting his thoughts about Redford. Because I love talking about the man and Alexander Pierce! I always think of new things to say about this movie!)

Last edited:
I really appreciated that Pierce was an actual human character and not another cackling madman. Not that there isn't a place for those, but it is refreshing when we get something different.

Redford was really perfect choice for this role. Based on the feedback from the cast and crew, he is a very generous actor and person. I am relieved to see that while his performance is being appreciated, his presence did not overshadow the movie or other actors. I would hate to hear CAP 2 just being all about Redford. Glad it did not happen.

Really, he did that? I hadn't heard about that, cool.

Do you have any scenes with Robert Redford?

Chris Evans: Yeah. I did. Sundance. It was great. He’s so good. I was so nervous the first day, and within ten minutes, I was like, oh, thank God. Because you never know. You never know how these people are going to be at that level, and he’s just the nicest guy in the world. I mean, it’s not like he can’t direct. He could have very easily come on the set and made it his set, and he just didn’t do that. He has immense respect, and he’s not one of those guys. The first day that we shot together, it was like a 15 hour day. And at the end, the Russos like their coverage, and at the end of the day, it was a lot of my stuff. And he had very minimal lines. He really could have left. I know a lot of actors that would have left and then been like, ‘You cool doing this with someone else?’ Which I think kind of sucks when actors do that. But he didn’t do it. He stuck around. It’s past midnight, and this guy’s here doing off camera for me. It’s classy. He’s just a classy guy, talented guy. He classes up this whole project.

Excerpt of an interview with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the writers who I think should get more credit for writing such a tight, smart, witty script and knowing and serving the characters, especially Cap so well.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/capt...a-2-meet-the-men-who-wrote-the-winter-soldier

One thing I was surprised about was how much Robert Redford is in the movie. When they announced it, I kind of assumed he'd show up in one or two scenes. But he’s right in the thick of things. Did his role expand once you had him or was Pierce always that big a character?
Markus: Pierce was always there but to be honest, once Redford came in we rewrote him.

McFeely: We rewrote twice. We wrote a draft to kind of seduce him, you know, because once we knew they were going to get him we went all right, well let’s write towards him which means smart, which means a little cool. And then once we got him, we sort of pulled stuff away because he can say things with his eyes. And he said as much. He said, “Listen I probably don’t need these three sentences because you’re gonna get it off of my last sentence because I’m gonna then do this.” It was pretty impressive.

Markus: When you know you have Robert Redford, he maybe has played a villain before on TV in the '50s, but this is not a guy who comes off sinister. So when you’re writing a generic villain, you know, when you don’t have a face to put to a name, they tend to start to say more nefarious things. And then you trim it back and then when you know that Robert Redford’s gonna be saying it -- one, you take away some of the things where Robert Redford cannot say that crazy line but then it’s also, if Robert Redford said that crazy line it would be incredibly disturbing.

McFeely: I would believe it.

Markus: Like, that’s not the guy who’s supposed to say I’m gonna kill ten million people.

Redford was excellent in the role. He provided a nuanced, interesting look into the character of Alexander Pierce and he made Pierce both engaging and intimidating.

I also liked how they designed Alexander Pierce's character by combining elements of various corrupt or traitorous government officials from the comics, and also elements of Alexander Lukin from the original Winter Soldier storyline.

YES! The "Oh, Renata!" was total perfection here. The perfect combination of "I liked you as my maid!" and "But now I'm gonna have to kill you. Sorry." That, along with just casually offering WS milk and chilling with him while giving oders to kill, then coming back to the scene later on when he's brainwashing Bucky… RR played so many layers in this film.

He was the exact opposite of phoning it in!

Yep. The biggest metaphor for me as to how Pierce treated Bucky was Bucky was his pitbull for dog fights. Used, abused, never cared for, never treated as an actual living person (though now I've read a ton of TWS meta-analyses that say Bucky likely imprinted on Pierce like a little duckling even through all the abuse… which literally breaks my heart :( ) Basically, Pierce and HYDRA abused him until he was little more than a dog suitable only for killing other dogs… until Steve comes along and is basically the first person in decades to treat him like an actual human being.

Unless there's more to Natasha's story about Bucky than we know about…

(Though I do have to thank the Guard for posting his thoughts about Redford. Because I love talking about the man and Alexander Pierce! I always think of new things to say about this movie!)

I love your passion and agree with everything you said.

I wonder if marvel would be more likely to add the MCU version of pierce into the comics again? I know he has already appeared but let's face it, in the comics he wasn't exactly memorable

I agree with all the praise Redford has gotten in this movie. He was dynamite. Pierce came off as a very likeable guy, and that is the epitome of Hydra in this movie. You grow to like them, manipulate you without you even knowing, and when the time is right, they strike with ice cold resolve. Redford did such a great job showcasing the Hydra in TWS. Every scene he was in was compelling. I even love how calm and collected he was even when his plan was blowing up in his face! He always felt like he was going to win!

As for The Guard's mailing it in comment...yeah, no he wasn't. This guy stayed to help the actors with off camera work when he was finished shooting into the late hours of the night. Someone collecting the paycheck doesn't go the extra mile like that. Simply BS.

I agree with all the praise Redford has gotten in this movie. He was dynamite. Pierce came off as a very likeable guy, and that is the epitome of Hydra in this movie. You grow to like them, manipulate you without you even knowing, and when the time is right, they strike with ice cold resolve. Redford did such a great job showcasing the Hydra in TWS. Every scene he was in was compelling. I even love how calm and collected he was even when his plan was blowing up in his face! He always felt like he was going to win!

That's it really. He was affable, charming, commanding and self-righteous -- the perfect politician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"