The Winter Soldier Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Redford shooting dead his maid after she walked in on his meeting with Bucky (The Winter Soldier) was ice cold. Also when he meets Bucky again at the end, ordering him to be memory wiped again.

I'm actually happy they didn't make him Red Skull. Would've seemed a little too over-the-top. What we got was perfect, IMO. Pierce mouthing [BLACKOUT]"Hail HYDRA" as he died[/BLACKOUT] was one of the best moments in a film chock-full of amazing moments. Hail Redford, indeed!

Pierce saying "Hail HYDRA" as he died was such an eerie and head-shaking moment for me. To see that death was the outcome of his unwavering loyalty to Hydra made me shake my head, and to see him still praising HYDRA with his dying breath is what brought the eerie atmosphere to the scene. Fantastic scene in a movie filled with fantastic scenes.

Totally.

Hydra was truly portrayed as a despicable piece of work in this film. Such a strong portrayal in fact that it strengthens Red Skull and the The First Avenger.

That last "Hail Hydra" from Pierce lets us know that there are still many "heads" well and alive out there and still very much plotting.

Honestly, this is just terrible casting for the box office. I pray people see him as just an actor and not the liberal nutball activist he's become. Marvel really flubbed this one up without question. Redford is already taking more heat for his latest movie where they pay tribute to the Weather Underground homegrown terrorist movement. That is NOT going away any time soon.

Trust me, this casting will really hurt the film.
Reminder.

Saw this on the front page, couldn't resist.

Redford pretty much mailed it in during this movie. He was still excellent and made a solid villain, but he's much better than he was in WINTER SOLDIER.

I think though, that as a villain, Pierce was let down by an absolutely ridiculous and far-fetched "plot".

Oh no, he didn't mail it in at all. One of the big things that I've seen people mention, both critics and audience members, is how seriously he was taking this role. It surprised a lot of people who thought that he would just phone it in. Hence all of the comments about him bringing "gravitas" to the film.

yeah, he stayed on set till 2 in the morning doing off-camera work for the other actors because he was "mailing it in"
:whatever:

yeah, he stayed on set till 2 in the morning doing off-camera work for the other actors because he was "mailing it in"
:whatever:

Really, he did that? I hadn't heard about that, cool.

yeah that was one of the things Evans mentioned about him, how even though if he wanted he could tell everyone to piss off, that he's actually super cool and humble, and really enjoyed himself. Add Scarlett's comments about him handing out his own home-made wine, and the Russos comments about getting christmas cards from him, and I kinda really want to hang out with Robert Redford now.

Totally.

Hydra was truly portrayed as a despicable piece of work in this film. Such a strong portrayal in fact that it strengthens Red Skull and the The First Avenger.

That last "Hail Hydra" from Pierce lets us know that there are still many "heads" well and alive out there and still very much plotting.
I had the same thought. Hydra's portrayal in this movie really strengthened the Hydra of the first film as well as the Red Skull. Now I'm hoping we get to see Red Skull again in the third film with his death signifying the death of Hydra. Red Skull in the Russos hands could turn into one of the best CBM villains of all time. The Winter Soldier is already up there.

Damn the scene where he killed his maid , haha that was brutal

RR did a great job, IMO. Cool and calculating. His portrayal made you understand why Fury was willing to take a bullet for the guy.

Redford is pretty much always cool, and he was here too. He was almost like a more evil version of his Spy Game character.

As others have said, he brought a gravitas and persuasiveness where you could almost see his point of view and how he feels justified and right about what he's doing.

I found the "I REALLY wish you'd knocked" moment morbidly funny. What was most hissable to me was when he had Bucky's mind wiped again, and actually what brought the coldness of that scene home was when he slapped him beforehand. There was just something so cold and nonchalant in the way he backhanded him across the face, like how he'd smack a disobedient dog or something (which was pretty much exactly what Bucky was to him).

I actually got the sense that he actually DID regret having to kill his maid. He didn't WANT to do it, but thought that he HAD to "for the greater good." He was such a, for lack of a better word, "human" villain. Not an over the top lunatic like Red Skull.

Redford gave a masterful performance in a role that until the very end, required subtlety. I liken his performance of Pierce to that of his role in "Spy Games" where you can just barely see in his words and actions how he manipulates the situation around him.

For example, Fury comes to him and pushes to delay Insight. Not acting the villain at all, Pierce goes right along with Fury. Why? Because it actually fits his plan. Better to be sure EVERYONE is comfortable with Insight, so that it can go into effect with no opposition.

That is the beauty of Redford's performance. Quiet, reserved, yet oh so calculating.

I actually got the sense that he actually DID regret having to kill his maid. He didn't WANT to do it, but thought that he HAD to "for the greater good." He was such a, for lack of a better word, "human" villain. Not an over the top lunatic like Red Skull.

That bit is a good illustration of why I was rolling my eyes at that "phoning it it" garbage The Guard posted earlier. :whatever:

He was hovering somewhere between actual regret because he legitimately liked the maid and "****, now I have to take out the garbage" because he knew she'd seen too much. And he communicated it effortlessly.

I'd love to know what actual dialogue bits got cut out due to Redford's advice, as per various interviews.

Oh no, he didn't mail it in at all. One of the big things that I've seen people mention, both critics and audience members, is how seriously he was taking this role. It surprised a lot of people who thought that he would just phone it in. Hence all of the comments about him bringing "gravitas" to the film.

Co-signed. I was vaguely spoiled about his identity before going to see it, but what struck me about Redford was his delivery of some of his lines, that he was genuinely funny in parts, and then cold, calculating and cruel. His chemistry and interplay with SLJ was amazing to watch as well, as you could tell there was epic history shared by both characters in only the couple of scenes they were in together.

His scene with Bucky was just despicable to watch, as a Bucky fan, but in the way it was intended. He treated Bucky like little more than a pitbull trained to kill. It was disgusting, but I agree with everyone else - RR definitely did not mail it in. His performance was a treat to behold, like a twisted version of every good and noble character he has ever played.

Redford pretty much mailed it in during this movie. He was still excellent and made a solid villain, but he's much better than he was in WINTER SOLDIER.

I think though, that as a villain, Pierce was let down by an absolutely ridiculous and far-fetched "plot".

I've got to say this is one of the funniest comments I have read today.

Just because you aren't a scenery chewing moustache twirling villainous character does not mean you are "phoning it in"

I found Redford to be a nuanced interesting "villain" who actually believed what he was doing was necessary, and on some levels, good.

Yea, I would go so far as to say he's the most interesting (if not straight-up, best) villain we've gotten in the MCU thus far. Redford's performance was astounding.

Redford is pretty much always cool, and he was here too. He was almost like a more evil version of his Spy Game character.

As others have said, he brought a gravitas and persuasiveness where you could almost see his point of view and how he feels justified and right about what he's doing.

I found the "I REALLY wish you'd knocked" moment morbidly funny. What was most hissable to me was when he had Bucky's mind wiped again, and actually what brought the coldness of that scene home was when he slapped him beforehand. There was just something so cold and nonchalant in the way he backhanded him across the face, like how he'd smack a disobedient dog or something (which was pretty much exactly what Bucky was to him).

I didn't find the maid scene funny at all but I agree about punching Bucky like that. What a pig. It probably wasn't even pierce's first time doing that even though Bucky couldn't defend himself anyway.

I love that they got Redford because people have always said that if they made captain America a few decades ago Redford would definitely have played him. That's how I saw the character. I think Redford played him as if he was Steve who had been in the system too long and compromised his ideals too much

Yea, I would go so far as to say he's the most interesting (if not straight-up, best) villain we've gotten in the MCU thus far. Redford's performance was astounding.

I wish Aldrich killian [founder of AIM had been played that way in iron man3

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"