RoboCop’ Returns

It was inevitable that Hollywood would go this route with the next RoboCop movie because it’s the popular and stale trend of retconning/ignoring sequels while keeping the original as canon. Unfortunately I’m skeptical about post- Chappie Blomkamp taking the helm of a Robocop movie. Shame because when I first saw District 9 I remember thinking to myself if Hollywood decided to rejuvenate the Robocop franchise they should hire him to direct it. Plus I wasn’t ecstatic about his Alien 5 pitch either, which really came off like fanfic. In fact, Blomkamp should’ve pitched that project to IDW Publishing instead of 20th Century Fox. Also hiring the writer of the next Terminator movie, which is part of franchise that should’ve been put out of it’s misery long ago, to polish Neumeier and Miner’s original RoboCop 2 script doesn’t get my hopes up.

And are they sure they want to stick with RoboCop Returns as the title? It seems whenever “Returns” is a part of the title to superhero relegated movies (Batman Returns and Superman Returns) the movie ends up being polarizing to the general audience and fans, which is I think the last thing they’d want this movie to be.

Also as much I'd want Weller to return. He won’t. Weller is over 70 years old. Plus Weller's mentioned in recent interviews he’s done with RoboCop to the point where he refuses to do interviews talking about the character and the franchise. So since RoboCop Returns will be a follow up to the original film I’d hire a younger actor who resembles Weller.

Anyways if this goes into production and gets made I’ll just wait and see how it turns out, but I’m more skeptical than excited about it.

I agree with everything above, but esp. with the bolded part. This could be really good, but hopefully not with an on the nose social commentary. I love the social commentary in the political satire from previous RoboCop offerings.

But we'll see. I'm curious as hell how this will turn out, and hope for the best.

Blomkamp does slums well. I could also see a social commentary like border security

It was inevitable that Hollywood would go this route with the next RoboCop movie because it’s the popular and stale trend of retconning/ignoring sequels while keeping the original as canon.

I'd rather this than completely rebooting a franchise from scratch ala. Ghostbusters 2016, Total Recall 2012 and of course RoboCop 2014...

giphy.gif

I want someone to take a chance and reboot something with cult status that could be much better. The Last Starfighter and The Black Cauldron could really use remakes that could launch a franchise.

I'm confused by all the welcoming reception I'm seeing here to the news. I thought most people who viewed his movies agree that District 9 is the only good one out of his three movies.

Very curious to see how he makes it about apartheid

I'm confused by all the welcoming reception I'm seeing here to the news. I thought most people who viewed his movies agree that District 9 is the only good one out of his three movies.

Maybe.

I liked Chappie....And now I feel bad that I admitted that.

Let me tell you something about opinions. They differ.
I, for example, LOVE 'Elysium' and liked 'Chappie.'

Loved D9, and I liked Elysium for the most part. Chappie was okay but Die Antwoord nearly ruined it for me. But visually Blomkamp is amazing so I’m willing to give this a shot.

But I agree... I’d much rather see a Last Starfighter remake/sequel than this. I think we are finally getting one though.

I enjoyed Elysium more, but I still like District 9.

Chappie was awful IMO.

This is unexpected. Just last year I downloaded the RoboCop 2: Corporate Wars script (haven't read it yet) after a conversation in the other RoboCop thread in this section. And just yesterday morning I was thinking how disappointed I was we didn't get Ripley's return instead of those terrible prequel movies, AND how much I like the title of Superman Returns. Just funny timing.

Anyway... I'm interested, of course. I worry about how the satirical aspects will be both handled and received, but we'll see.

I hope they change the title. I dig both Batman Returns and Superman Returns, but it doesn't quite fit for Robo to me.

Chappie would have been fine if it wasn't for Die Antwoord, and I thought everyone else involved more or less did a good job. Elysium just bored me but I wouldn't necessarily call it bad. I think Blomkamp has good ideas, and District 9 is still phenomenal almost 10 years later. I think Robocop is right in his wheelhouse.

Weller is too old for this, unless they give him another role.
I liked Chappie....And now I feel bad that I admitted that.
Don't be. I feel no shame in admitting I enjoy Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

For the people who want Weller to come back... do you want him to play Robocop again? I don't see how that could work, but then... the Terminator franchise decided that Robots could age so that Arnold could come back.

Just his voice. The guy in the suit can be anybody.

Agreed. They can easily de-age the face while Weller wears pajamas and just the top part of the suit with the rest being cgi

No Weller, no RoboCop imo. Bring him back

I agree. Weller IS Robocop. Luckily, they can go either way with this. If they want him to look like he did in the original film, they can give him a CGI facelift/use a double with a mouth that looks just like his OR since Murphy was still human, they could say that he still ages normally. I'd prefer the former but going from Weller's recent-ish performance in Star Trek: Into Darkness and recent interviews, his voice hasn't seemed to change too much since '87 and he seems to be in good health so I think it's likely we'll see him back. Not doing anything crazy, but probably just his likeness and voice.

Now let's just hope Paul Verhoeven doesn't suddenly resurface and demand that Blomkamp's film be scrapped until he completes an extremely pretentious Robocop prequel trilogy.

underrated comment :oldrazz:

Awesome! This almost makes up for his failed Alien film.

Weller mentioned in an interview that he was done with RoboCop. He doesn't want to partake in anymore discussions about the character or the Robo movies he starred in. Unless they pay him a ton a money I doubt he'd reprise a role that he last portrayed nearly 30 years ago and has officially put behind him.

The question remains, how close is this a sequel to the original film. And with that, will it take place 30 years later? So, even though Peter Weller has aged, maybe that's a plot point of the film? Maybe the world is run by robocops and Peter Weller is the original, old one.

Eh. The idea of a RoboCop sequel done right is intriguing, but District 9 is the only Blomkamp project I can tolerate. If this was his second film I'd be all over it, but after Elysium, Chappie and Oat Studios I think I've had my fill of his work. But maybe with someone else doing the writing it'll be better.

Who knows if this will even make it to production, anyways.

Taking a wait and see approach. I don't think he can do much worse than the remake. But it seems the trend now is to do things like this and pretend what happened in between never took place.

I'm sort of interested to see what Blomkamp does here. At the same time, I thought Chappie was terrible. So I hope it's an improvement.

A very ideal choice for director. Neumeier and Miner's script sounds like the sort of film Blomkamp can pull off nicely. Also, if not Peter Weller, I could see Paul Bettany, who resembles Weller quite a bit, fitting quite nicely in the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"