RoboCop’ Returns

Weller mentioned in an interview that he was done with RoboCop. He doesn't want to partake in anymore discussions about the character or the Robo movies he starred in. Unless they pay him a ton a money I doubt he'd reprise a role that he last portrayed nearly 30 years ago and has officially put behind him.

We’ve heard actors say this before then turn around and do it. Heck Mark Hamill was done with Star Wars didn’t stop him from returning.

I always thought Jim Caviezel would be a good RoboCop.

A very ideal choice for director. Neumeier and Miner's script sounds like the sort of film Blomkamp can pull off nicely. Also, if not Peter Weller, I could see Paul Bettany, who resembles Weller quite a bit, fitting quite nicely in the role.

Why another RoboCop movie ? Just get him to direct a Cyborg movie, which is DC's version of RoboCop. Ray Fisher was a great choice to play him too, plus he brings much better backstory to the character (his background of a football player.)

Lol at people getting excited about another Robocop movie when they disliked the idea of a Cyborg movie, double standards ?

Last edited:
I can't see this one coming full circle to be honest; wouldn't be so bad if this was to be another reboot, but a continuation of the first film whilst ignoring the lore of the sequels. Just why?

We've got this guy ignoring Robocop lore, we've got Cameron ignoring Terminator lore, and you can probably bet you'll have Sane Black ignore some Predator lore.

No one asked for this, just like there was no one demanding a Star Wars Solo movie.

Personally speaking, I would rather see a Cyborg movie than a pseudo-sequel to first Robocop movie. But WB's too busy in making plans for some more Harley Quinn movies.

Why another RoboCop movie ? Just get him to direct a Cyborg movie, which is DC's version of RoboCop. Ray Fisher was a great choice to play him too, plus he brings much better backstory to the character (his background of a football player.)

Lol at people getting excited about another Robocop movie when they disliked the idea of a Cyborg movie, double standards ?

No one asked for this, just like there was no one demanding a Star Wars Solo movie.

Personally speaking, I would rather see a Cyborg movie than a pseudo-sequel to first Robocop movie. But WB's too busy in making plans for some more Harley Quinn movies.

6gJnD9r.gif

Cyborg > RoboCop.

Waiting to get all 5 posts above TiVo'ed. :o

Last edited:
Off Topic Cyborg has a Mayor Role in the Doom Patrol Live Action also Titans is right at the corner too , so no a Solo or Teen Titans Movie will not happening anytime in the near Future

On Topic i m a Big fan from the Old Movies but the Remake was quite a Disapointment for me , but i give it a chance and i pray the Suit will be mostly Practical and not full CGI

We’ve heard actors say this before then turn around and do it. Heck Mark Hamill was done with Star Wars didn’t stop him from returning.
wasnt he at conventions talking all time time about star wars? i think its very different with Weller

I'm not against a Cyborg movie, but your opinion on this makes no freakin' sense.

One doesn't exclude the other. It's not like MGM is keeping Warner Bros. from making a movie about Victor Stone.

And there are people who ARE interested in this project, especially with the original writers producing and delivering their original 'RoboCop: Corporate Wars' script as template for this new movie.

Complaining about this in regards to a possible Cyborg movie is like complaining about a new 'Terminator' being made after Cable's storyline in 'Deadpool 2,' or complaining about David Gordon Green's 'Halloween' movie because you'd prefer a 'You're next' sequel.

Dude, whuut!? Why even bring Cyborg up in this topic?

Blomkamp's stock with the nerd community has dropped since the days of District 9, but I'm intrigued to see what he can do with Robocop. It's interesting that the film will be a direct sequel to the original movie, like what is happening with the new Halloween.

I'd rather watch District 9 than Avatar but that's my opinion. To me District 9 is a contemporary classic of the Sci-fi genre.

I like both Avatar and District 9. But I agree that District 9 is a bonafide sci fi classic and one of my favourite movies of the last decade.

My concern is it needs to be a satire first, social commentary second. Blomkampf might go directly to just social commentary.

I always thought Jim Caviezel would be a good RoboCop.

He's got the calm demeanor, the monotone voice thing down, and he'd probably enmbody the physical movement stuff pretty well. I dunno, not someone who'd cross my mind for it though.

A couple years ago I would have said Fassbender if you're going for something Weller-esque, given it's the same continuity and all. He's too overexposed by now though, love the guy as an actor but I'm just sort of sick of seeing him in everything. Lensherr's enough as far as comic-y type stuff goes.

As for the idea of Weller just doing the voice, I dunno. Might be feasible if you're not intending to take off the helmet throughout the movie, but all three originals had those moments. And he's a big part of the movement, the way Robo walks and turns was all thought up by Weller. Burke did a good job mimicking it though, and I guess it was more or less fine in the reboot. But Weller probably doesn't sound that close to how he used to anyway, you might get a Vader-in-Rogue-One situation where it's cool to have it, but it's not like he sounds identical to back then. Even though this is in the same continuity, probably best to go with a new actor providing everything, just cast him in a way where the guy looks and sounds similar, but doesn't have to quite be identical. Just "same vibes", but leaving wiggle room to do his own thing and go a way to make it his own.

Always thought Michelle Trachtenberg shares a pretty strong resemblance to Nancy Allen facially too. Assuming they're not necessarily needing huge name movie-level people, she might be an option for Lewis?

Loving that this is a sequel too, same continuity. Not the hugest fan of Neill overall (though District 9's seriously good), but he's a visual wunderkind and he's all kinds of right for this tonally. I'd be a little worried about his ability to bring all the over-the-top snarky black humor, but given Neumeier & Miner are involved that dispels that immediately. A little bummed some other guy's re-writing their script though, that could be fine but could also potentially be a problem. Hope they have power to sign off on what he's doing with it.

Neill had better not mess too much with the suit, either, especially given it's a sequel. Some slight updates to it sure, and in a pragmatic sense making it more comfortable/workable for the actor inside, but overall it had better be damn near the iconic look:

robocopjpg-1e0840_1280w.jpg

The final suit from the reboot was...fine I guess, it was in the ballpark of faithful to the original and all, it just came off a little generic-robot-guy somehow. And weirdly given how far the tech's come the 1987 one looks way more "mechanical", like it's not just a guy in a costume. Can't put my finger on why, but it seems more than just Weller's performance, it's the bulkiness and "Detroit auto manufacturer-ness" of the costume, they'd better keep all that.

Last edited:
I'm not against a Cyborg movie, but your opinion on this makes no freakin' sense.

One doesn't exclude the other.
It's not like MGM is keeping Warner Bros. from making a movie about Victor Stone.

And there are people who ARE interested in this project, especially with the original writers producing and delivering their original 'RoboCop: Corporate Wars' script as template for this new movie.

Complaining about this in regards to a possible Cyborg movie is like complaining about a new 'Terminator' being made after Cable's storyline in 'Deadpool 2,' or complaining about David Gordon Green's 'Halloween' movie because you'd prefer a 'You're next' sequel.

Dude, whuut!? Why even bring Cyborg up in this topic?
Sorry to bring Cyborg in this thread, this will be my last post discussing it.

I have never said that MGM is preventing WB from making a Cyborg movie, it's on WB, they are the ones who initially 'planned' a Cyborg movie and now they don't have it on their slate. I blame WB for the mess.

I mentioned Cyborg as people are so welcoming for another RoboCop movie (BTW, I loved the first 3 Robocop movies) even if the latest one is going to be a quasi-sequel to the first one while most 'fans' were Not excited at the prospect of a Cyborg movie, since SHH members mostly constitute comic book / cbm fans, it's ironic that they support sequel to a Robocop movie more than first Cyborg movie.

And...

He had better keep Die Antwoord the **** away from this.

Agreed. :oldrazz: God, it's barely even music. Weird-for-the-sake-of-weird South African jesters dancing for their next ecstacy fix.

Sharlto sure-as-**** better get a nice role here though.

I'd rather watch District 9 than Avatar but that's my opinion. To me District 9 is a contemporary classic of the Sci-fi genre.

Same, this just jumped into my radar

Seeings as how Shyamalan went from being considered garbage for a long time and then did Split with a lazy twist and now everyone is excited for his next films I dont see why Blomkamp doesnt deserve another go.

Oh, he definitely deserves another shot. Chappie wasn't even particularly awful, I think most people are just a little bummed out by his movies since District 9, due to it being such a stellar debut. Hard to live up to.

But every director has mis-steps, no reason he can't do something special with this. Making a list of potential directors for a Robocop movie in the Verhoeven mold, he'd be right up there at the top.

Oh, he definitely deserves another shot. Chappie wasn't even particularly awful, I think most people are just a little bummed out by his movies since District 9, due to it being such a stellar debut. Hard to live up to.

But every director has mis-steps, no reason he can't do something special with this. Making a list of potential directors for a Robocop movie in the Verhoeven mold, he'd be right up there at the top.

Personally I enjoyed Chappie for being daring and taking risks with its casting. Nerds seem to think that the directors owe them something rather than just being creative artists. Its not often you get films like Chappie and that makes me appreciate it more, plus I have no preconceived idea of Die Antwood an co, I found them to be refreshing s apposed to the same 15 faces we see in Hollyweird every week.

Hopefully they also don't stray too close from the design of the old suit. I'm assuming he'll start out with the original suit, and then "upgrade", as is the tendency. But the original suit had a real world feel and weight to it. The suit from the re-make felt like Iron Man light, and looked like a guy in a costume.

DDGPv4XUQAAjLP9.jpg

vs

RoboCop+Remake+2028+Suit+Damaged+Armour+Actor+Joel+Kinnaman+www.Robocop2028.Blogspot.com.jpg

Ehh, getting really sick of seeing superheroes (guess Murphy counts as that) upgrading their look every movie. Makes total sense with Iron Man, but it's starting to bug me with Cap specifically, and I guess Batman to an extent. Not everyone's that type of character. OCP throwing some new prototype tools onto him every now and then is cool, but basically I hope it's same ol' same ol' Robocop.

Upgrade the look a little from the Verhoeven (from memory it's a little different in the Kersnher & Dekker movies anyway?) if you want, but hopefully it's the same throughout the actual movie. Get it right the first time and just stick with it, that's how things become iconic.

Tech-wise they're almost definitely going to make the thing differently to how they did back then, for actor comfort and all, but visually I'm really hoping this is 95% exactly what it was. The big picture stuff anyway, the detailing doesn't matter so much.

A shame Poledouris is no longer with us, too. Really need to keep the theme for this (and in a bigger fashion than in the reboot), but whoever they hire as composer I hope has similar sensibilities with their own stuff. Looks like Zimmer did Chappie, I don't remember anything of that score, but really hope Zimmer doesn't come anywhere near this. Silvestri maybe? Either Thomas or David Newman? Not exactly on-point with Poledouris, but he's so oldschool a lot of his contemporaries aren't around anymore, those guys are about the closest coming to mind of people still active.

That being said, hell, the theme in 2 is crazy too. All that operatic chanting stuff coming out of nowhere, bwaha. Obviously doesn't hold a candle to the Basil theme, but it's sort of wild in its own way.

Last edited:
Just bring back the original theme, that's all I ask.

[YT]Kb1_38445vA[/YT]

Weller mentioned in an interview that he was done with RoboCop. He doesn't want to partake in anymore discussions about the character or the Robo movies he starred in. Unless they pay him a ton a money I doubt he'd reprise a role that he last portrayed nearly 30 years ago and has officially put behind him.

LOL, so would he prefer that people talk to him about The Order and Naked Lunch? I’m sure fans get annoying but I always wonder why some actors want to distance themselves from the only roles they ever played that people gave a crap about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"