Rogue's powers.

MaleRogue

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hi you all,
I was thinking about Rogue's powers and all.
What would you have liked to happen to Rogue and her powers in X3.
What would be your character development and all.
Would you like it if Rogue could control her powers?

rogue shouldnt have taken the cure first off, nor should she learn to control it.

she should have been shown using in it in battle, have peter knock someone out and she steal their power etc. then she shouldve been hurt or angry during a fight, lost control and absorbed someone too much... then permanent flight and strength, sadly trhe writers had no idea how to handle her

I would have liked Rogue in X3 to start to control her powers but not definetely. I don't know, in the final battle save Bobby and realise that her powers are for something. It's not just a curse. But DEFINETELY I wouldn't like her to fly or/and speak Carol's accent lol.
Or what I've been thinking when I saw the trailer is that after seeing Bobby with Kitty, she would somehow join the Brotherhood and then, in the final battle, when she has to fight aginst her friends, she remembers how much she loves Bobby. But this is too classic lol

Aside from the fact that I would not have introduced the cure in X-Men 3, I would have liked to have seen Rogue realize that her powers could be beneficial rather than be viewed only as a curse. Perhaps she could have helped/saved her teammates (or others). Perhaps there could have been further signs of refined control, etc. This way, if and when a cure type storyline does occur, Rogue's conflict, etc. would be that much more interesting (not to mention it would have made for some nice action/team sequences along the way).

they made it seem like she had to be in contact with the person to use their power... and then person only gets dizzy.

i hated that

in x2, she held onto pryo for a long time and barely anything happened (and she only had his power while holding on) and with peter the same thing, and he wasn't hurt at all

they clearly had no idea how to handle her, when infact she is incredibly powerful and useful.

spark627 said:
rogue shouldnt have taken the cure first off, nor should she learn to control it.

she should have been shown using in it in battle, have peter knock someone out and she steal their power etc. then she shouldve been hurt or angry during a fight, lost control and absorbed someone too much... then permanent flight and strength, sadly trhe writers had no idea how to handle her

^^^ you know, that's a very interesting idea. To have Rogue give into her own Rage and totally, completely suck another char's life force away, permanently. Thus giving her their powers and memories, permanently.

BMM said:
Aside from the fact that I would not have introduced the cure in X-Men 3, I would have liked to have seen Rogue realize that her powers could be beneficial rather than be viewed only as a curse. Perhaps she could have helped/saved her teammates (or others). Perhaps there could have been further signs of refined control, etc.

But that's just the thing! She does all these things and realizes all these things in X2. Things are going pretty good for Rogue in X2! Then it takes a sudden nose dive in X3? :down

This way, if and when a cure type storyline does occur, Rogue's conflict, etc. would be that much more interesting (not to mention it would have made for some nice action/team sequences along the way).

There wasn't really much of a conflict, was there? She wanted the cure and that's it.

as i stated in the X3 novel topic.

Rogue under whatever circumstance ends up in the final battle pitted against Ms. Marvel who could have been easily introduced as much as any other minor character. Rogue starts getting used as a punching bag. An onlooking conflicted Jean uses her powers to aide Rogue. As stated in the book Phoenix's powers amplify other mutants powers. After Rogue gets her hands on Marvel, with a boost from Phoenix, she would pemanently absorb her powers. Thus phoenix gives us a simpler reason why Rogue permanently absorbs Marvel's powers.
Additionally Rogue could have been the one to give Magneto a few doses of cure serum, as a nod for poetic justice, since Magneto nearly killed her in X1.

why have Phoenix aid in Rogue's perma-absorbing of a movieverse minor character of Ms Marvel. Why not just have Rogue hold on really tight for like a alittle bit longer then she did to pyro in X2. Maybe because shes panicing and holding onto Ms Marvel while they are both spinning in the air she isn't focasing the control and that with the long time holding on gets the permanent absorbed powers.

Or simply, she grabs, only's, Ms Marvel tries to shake her off (while flying up into the air), Rogue won't let go, cut to a scene with like Bobby freeezing somebody, cut back Rogue still on Ms Marvel in the air then suddenly it's Rogue whos the one flying and Ms marvel is now just unconcious. Rogue drops her, in shock.

I found Rogue in x3 to have a good role in the cure plot. More screentime fleshing out this type of thing (in proportionate with the bigger character plots of the film) couldve aided this further, as i also had no issue with her taking the cure.

I would have liked to have seen more progression from X2 - X3 Rogue. She helped saving the X-Men by flying the jet in second film. In the 3rd film i still get the feeling that she hasn't learnt much.

She shouldn't be able to control her powers but maybe know how much power to take from another mutant.

It would also have been great if they had Storm teach her to fly the jet, Wolverine teaching hand-to-hand combat, that sort of thing.

I would have liked to see Rogue turn up at the final battle having met Angel at the Labs and realised how blessed she actually is. She would be attacked by Ms. Marvel and gain the powers of flight that she should have gained in X2.

britrogue said:
She would be attacked by Ms. Marvel and gain the powers of flight that she should have gained in X2.

Power of flight has a logic in the film verse. Those who fly can manipulate wind currents, and magnetic waves. Rogues power is absorbing others powers. Shed be able to fly only if she absorbed storm or magnetos powers.

Frankly the cures just sends out a bad message to people, and when rogue took the cure...yes rogue has her reasons, but i dont ever recall in rogue's history when confronted with the same issue that she ever decides to purposely loose her powers. Just to me shows how much the director doesnt read any comics whatsoever

i think she could of have gotten her Ms. Marvel powers from some no name villain in the last battle.

Nibune said:
but i dont ever recall in rogue's history when confronted with the same issue that she ever decides to purposely loose her powers. Just to me shows how much the director doesnt read any comics whatsoever
first of all, that wasn't the directors choose to put that in,
and two, i don't know about it happening in the comics, but I do remember in the cartoon theere was an episode where she try to take the cure, which it turned out to be a trap, but, still she thought it was real and wanted to take it,
anyway, what all this about sending a message, Its a movie, I don't go to movies to learn and take some profound meaning from it, I go just to be entertained, I am sure no one took that as its right to change who you are. it was about making choice‘s.
its not like, some minorities, like a gay guy, and black guy, and a Jew, are going to be seating there watching it and be all like, OMG, I don’t have to be gay, and I can bleach my skin to be white, and I renown’s my religion lol Just saying

In the End of TAS though, she felt better off that she didn't and Your right Director didn't make that stupid decision, According too the writers Tom Rothman's daughter did. That just goes too show why things are done so badly around FOX. Oh and yea ppl now in days don't go to movies for a good message or story behind it. They go too see a nice big explosion and some dead stuff. Because that's what the world has come too. Thus explaining the success of this IMO craptastic film. Too think that we would have to use our brains it's prepostorous.

According too the writers Tom Rothman's daughter did
there you go, it was some thing thought up by a young girl, who would be more inclined to feel what (movie) rogue would be going through,. to bring in a real perspective on it, in the comic and cartoon she didn't take the cure, cause they would lost her as a character, in the movie they were able to draw it to a conclusion. .

I just did want to say something... several times in this thread people are saying.. "we want Rogue to have her powers of flight and invulnerability"... though I do understand that for some people that's all they know of for Rogue, the movie universe is going with exactly what Rogue originally was and what she currently is in the comic books. Rogue no longer has her powers of invulnerability and flight. She lost those years ago when she and Gambit were stabbed through the chest. And I think since then she's been having these strange power relapses... i think right now, for the most part, she can pretty much summon any power she's absorbed... though don't quote me on that.

That being said... Rogue's powers are to absorb the life force, or powers of another individual. Not flight or super strength.. she just absorbed them and had them for a long while in the comic books.

Sure they could have developped her more in X3. i was unhappy with the fact that she was basically useless throughout all three movies. I've said it before, the real Rogue wouldn't have taken the cure.. but we all know from the movie that the cure isn't permanent.

gambitfire said:
In the End of TAS though, she felt better off that she didn't and Your right Director didn't make that stupid decision, According too the writers Tom Rothman's daughter did. That just goes too show why things are done so badly around FOX. Oh and yea ppl now in days don't go to movies for a good message or story behind it. They go too see a nice big explosion and some dead stuff. Because that's what the world has come too. Thus explaining the success of this IMO craptastic film. Too think that we would have to use our brains it's prepostorous.

Whats preposterous is thinking because rogue took the cure the movie was for dummys. Ratners pacing made the film shallow to many, not a decision about the cure. Thats a more direct culprit imo.

Spider-Fan83 said:
there you go, it was some thing thought up by a young girl, who would be more inclined to feel what (movie) rogue would be going through,. to bring in a real perspective on it, in the comic and cartoon she didn't take the cure, cause they would lost her as a character, in the movie they were able to draw it to a conclusion. .

Precisely.

All people have to do is imagine a scenario in which they had some disadvantageous condition - a huge 'birth mark' across their body for instance.

Just imagine it. You have a huge red mark across most of your upper body. You hate it, you cover it up, you shy away from situations in which it would be visible. Then you meet others who accept you for what you are, who perhaps have a similar mark or condition, you begin to get on with life much better but the mark still stops you being totally normal and totally able to do what everyone else does.

Then, it's announced there is a way to cure that mark, to remove it, enabling you to live a normal life. i think most people would consider that cure very strongly, and most would take it.

That's what movie Rogue did. I would have preferred her to NOT take the cure and to stand proudly as a mutant upholding Xavier's dream... but her dilemma and her decision are perfectly understandable...

XCharlieX said:
Whats preposterous is thinking because rogue took the cure the movie was for dummys. Ratners pacing made the film shallow to many, not a decision about the cure. Thats a more direct culprit imo.

That's preposterous how dare i think an adaptation should grasp the right personality of a character. As if it wasn't enought that they had the same white strand of hair. :rolleyes:

I agree though pacing is a culprit here.

Spider-Fan83 said:

What do you have a child advisor as well? :p

They are kids things are as simple as black and white to them. They don't understand complexity.

Don't get me wrong kids are great but basing major decisions on what they think? what's the world coming too?

Innocence can be ignorance.

Besides i don't think this movie was ment for kids to begin with.

That and i have no idea how old Rothman's kid is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"