Sequels Routh may be out as Superman

S

Slick_1

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I hope this is true. Sorry guys, but the last movie sucked. I still went to go see it & bought the DVD, only because it was Superman. (The airplane scenes were good.)

They say they want a younger guy. I think that's a mistake. Routh already looked more like Superboy. Welling is 30sh & still looks too young for Superman. (I know he's Superboy & he's great for that.)

They should go for a mature (but not old) looking Superman.

Just my 2 cents.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I hope this is true. Sorry guys, but the last movie sucked. I still went to go see it & bought the DVD, only because it was Superman. (The airplane scenes were good.)

They say they want a younger guy. I think that's a mistake. Routh already looked more like Superboy. Welling is 30sh & still looks too young for Superman. (I know he's Superboy & he's great for that.)

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, Routh is just an awful actor. He's no more than eye candy for the ladies and gay sci-fi crowd and SR was the worst superhero pick since the Hulk. The next film should be another reboot.

Would you prefer a McG superman, another smallville, or maybe another X3. Listen Superman Returns is just the begining. Singer has said that the next superman will be his Wrath of Kahn. X2 was much better than X-Men 1. Just give the guy a chance. I trust him, we should all trust him, he loves Supes, and knows how to make good movies. Let's go out there and let the world know that the next Superman MUST be a SINGER/ROUTH Superman. Let's give them a chance, because the alternative is horrifying!:super: :super:

Let's go out there and let the world know that the next Superman MUST be a SINGER/ROUTH Superman. Let's give them a chance, because the alternative is horrifying!:super: :super:
Sorry, I think the actual result was horrifying. Not Routh, he was fine. But Singer should stay as far afield of any more Superman movies as is Kryptonianly possible. I'm not willing to trust him because I've already seen how he butchered Superman in SR. He wasn't much more than a superhero eunuch, metaphorically speaking.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, Routh is just an awful actor. He's no more than eye candy for the ladies and gay sci-fi crowd and SR was the worst superhero pick since the Hulk. The next film should be another reboot.

You guys are both blind. Blame Singer, plain and simple. Brandon Routh has nothing to do with bad acting. BLAME SINGER.

And I agree about HULK. That movie was garbage. It's a good thing that THE INCREDIBLE HULK is a reboot movie.

Listen Superman Returns is just the begining.

I really think it's more like the end.

Singer has said that the next superman will be his Wrath of Kahn. X2 was much better than X-Men 1. Just give the guy a chance. I trust him, we should all trust him, he loves Supes,

No, he loves the Richard Donner SUperman films.
and knows how to make good movies. Let's go out there and let the world know that the next Superman MUST be a SINGER/ROUTH Superman. Let's give them a chance, because the alternative is horrifying!:super: :super:

The alternative is a fresh, creative version based on the comics. If Singer's vision is the 'best' we're going to get, then it is a truly sad statement on filmmakers' abilities to deliver a Superman film.

Let's go out there and let the world know that Singer had his chance and blew it and that Superman fans want something better w/o Singer and his 'vision.'

I think you guys are nuts. I've been following the stories and films since I was a child and I found Singer's version to be a brilliant way to loop in the old fans and the new fans into something bigger down the road.

Hulk is also the best adaptation of a comic hero to date. If you don't read the comics, then you wouldn't know. Sure the cutting was odd, but God forbid someone try to do something different with a cliche driven genre like the superhero film.

And for those dogging Donner's vision and Singer's take, I just find it a tad immature. You really want a straight to form version of the comics? That'd be like watching a video game for two and half hours. Donner and Singer's version adds depth and character, something that Alfred Gough took hint of and insinuated into the show, Smallville.

I'm done.

I think you guys are nuts. I've been following the stories and films since I was a child and I found Singer's version to be a brilliant way to loop in the old fans and the new fans into something bigger down the road.

Hulk is also the best adaptation of a comic hero to date. If you don't read the comics, then you wouldn't know. Sure the cutting was odd, but God forbid someone try to do something different with a cliche driven genre like the superhero film.

And for those dogging Donner's vision and Singer's take, I just find it a tad immature. You really want a straight to form version of the comics? That'd be like watching a video game for two and half hours. Donner and Singer's version adds depth and character, something that Alfred Gough took hint of and insinuated into the show, Smallville.

I'm done.
I really must agree.

keep Routh as superman. All he needs is more dialogue. the only reason people hated that movie was because he didnt have enough lines. also they need to come up with a different story. no more lex luthor, no more Zod and no braniac. Besides braniac is a machine not a person.

He looked like a man to me. A young looking man but definitely older than a teenager (i.e. Brandon Routh). Which my father was the same most of his life. So it happens (people look younger than they are). If he's replaced - unless the person is a genius - they won't compare favourably.

Angeloz

Singer and Routh are keepers. Its the script that needs a lot of tune up,let Bosworth and Spacey go.

And for those dogging Donner's vision and Singer's take, I just find it a tad immature. You really want a straight to form version of the comics? That'd be like watching a video game for two and half hours.

You must not read many comics then, eh?
Donner and Singer's version adds depth and character, something that Alfred Gough took hint of and insinuated into the show, Smallville.

I'm done.

I didn't find a real depth to Singer's Superman, just a conflicted character with no "why's" behind his actions.

I found his motivation for not saying 'goodbye' to be completely out of character which changed the essence of the character.

If you can't tell a story without changing the essential nature of the character, then it's clear you don't really understand or respect the character.

As I've said before, if this movie had been a completely new character, it would have a lot more merit. But everyone already knows who Superman is. We know he's not a shmuck. We know he isn't gutless. We know he considers Lois's feeling before his own. We know he has an indomitable will and endless determination. We know he was raised to be a genuinely good and caring person.

Unfortunately, Singer didn't know that and eschewed it in favor of a revisionist 'modern' alteration of the character in which he is emotionally weak and selfish in his personal life in which he doesn't use that determination and indominatable will to overcome his fear about leaving. He essentially made him a jerk, a deadbeat boyfriend. THe kind of person you hope your daughter doesn't go out with, b/c when push comes to shove, he's not going to care about her- he's only looking out for himself.

Superman: THe Movie spent 2 hours plus showing us why Superman is a genuinely good and caring person and how he came to be that way.

Superman Returns destroyed that in the first 20 minutes.

Depth? Maybe. Really, it needed to tell us WHY he was suddenly a shmuck. It really just presents it as if we already KNOW that he's a jerk in his personal life.

Interesting? Perhaps, as a new character we know nothing about.

Was it Superman? No, don't confuse the cosmetics of the character with the content of Superman's character.

Bosworth was okay, i thought. Spacey hammed it up like Dr Evil meets Blofeld. But he was just doing what the script said, no doubt.

A friend of mine felt that when multiple characters on screen, his eyes were always drawn to watching everyone else but Superman, who had become silent wallpaper. He thought Routh lacked charisma on screen. He did come across as very introspective, perhaps a little empty, not sure if it was the script or directing or Routh's lack of aura.

I want Singer because I appreciated the subtleties in the film. It's why I fear him being replaced with a more anvil type director that'll be all flash and no substance. Just boring surface entertainment. I want Brandon because he made me believe that he was Superman. Not always possible. And especially for me to care as much as I did.

Angeloz

I want Singer because I appreciated the subtleties in the film. It's why I fear him being replaced with a more anvil type director that'll be all flash and no substance. Just boring surface entertainment. I want Brandon because he made me believe that he was Superman. Not always possible. And especially for me to care as much as I did.

Angeloz

Very well said.

I think Brandon is a amazing Superman. He had this great presence in the suit that blew me away, and still does every time I watch the film. I think he has a magnetism and a majesty when portraying the character that makes me think of him as a prince and royalty. Singer found the right guy for the job, no doubt, and Routh didn't even need to talk for me to believe he was Superman. And he is soo likekable as a person as well. He will return...I'm sure.:cwink:

I'm done.

Brilliant post!

I agree with everything but the last line...:hehe:

Very well said.

I think Brandon is a amazing Superman. He had this great presence in the suit that blew me away, and still does every time I watch the film. I think he has a magnetism and a majesty when portraying the character that makes me think of him as a prince and royalty. Singer found the right guy for the job, no doubt, and Routh didn't even need to talk for me to believe he was Superman. And he is soo likekable as a person as well. He will return...I'm sure.:cwink:

I find your comments kind of naïf, a prince? It seems you are a very impressionable person, do you idealize "royalty"? :o

Hollywood considers Routh as a very average actor, just look at his résumé. The guy had very little dialogue in SR, no wonder why, Singer didn't trust him enough to deliver, better to have a silent Superman than horrible acting!

Brandon has the height, but lacks the upper body strength of a Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain or Tom Welling. And having him using blue-colored lenses to have "Superman eyes" was pathetic, read what BR said about it: (from iF Magazine)

Another physical attribute that Routh was not naturally equipped with is those famous blue eyes. Routh, who has brown eyes and wears contact lenses, used blue-colored lenses for filming, an experience that wasn't always pleasant.

"[It was] a little bit infuriating sometimes," recalls Routh. "Because they were painted and so there was some weight around them so sometimes when I would blink they would shift."

Maybe Brandon is a very nice guy, but he is bland and looks relatively soft for Superman, Reeve had the perfect face and body and his acting was fine, even Welling looks stronger and is becoming a good actor now, and he doesn't need blue-colored lenses either (but hey, to each its own). ;)

I find your comments kind of naïf, a prince? It seems you are a very impressionable person, do you idealize "royalty"? :o

You got a problem with him praising Routh or something? Like to pick on people who praise someone you don't like? :whatever:

Hollywood considers Routh as a very average actor, just look at his résumé. The guy had very little dialogue in SR, no wonder why, Singer didn't trust him enough to deliver, better to have a silent Superman than horrible acting!

LMAO! Stop being in denial. He has plenty of work ahead. Just because it not a lot, don't mean his resume is bad. And where you came up with that "Hollywood consider him as a very average actor"? Nice lie there. I guess some love to hate him by coming up with lies like that.

Brandon has the height, but lacks the upper body strength of a Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain or Tom Welling. And having him using blue-colored lenses to have "Superman eyes" was pathetic, read what BR said about it: (from iF Magazine)

You apparently haven't look at Routh when he wasn't wearing the suit at the time he was doing SR. He is a lot bigger than some think, that he even look about the same built as Welling & probably bigger than Reeve. It just the suit made him look smaller.

Maybe Brandon is a very nice guy, but he is bland and looks relatively soft for Superman, Reeve had the perfect face and body and his acting was fine, even Welling looks stronger and is becoming a good actor now, and he doesn't need blue-colored lenses either (but hey, to each its own). ;)

Calling Welling a good actor & not Routh is laughable with how Welling don't have a lot on his resume right now compare to Routh. Yeah, Routh is average from Hollywood as you claim. Geez, I wonder why he is getting more work, where Welling isn't. Someone has to be the average actor with not having much resume compare to others. :D :D

Very well said.

Thank you. :)

I pretty much agree.

Yes Brandon isn't Tom. I like Tom as Clark. I don't think he has the voice to play Superman (it's OK for Clark). But each to their own. As for his eyes I loved them (Brandon's) as well as other things. He looks good with those contacts as well as his natural colour. As for the "royalty" comment I believe the person meant he doesn't look awkward in his costume which is a very hard thing to do. In fact he acts rather well in it (I think excellently and as Superman). I'll point out Dean Cain wasn't always comfortable looking in his costume (I want to add I like his Clark a lot). LOL on the muscle argument. Just so silly but I like silly. Too bad those that are that silly just don't appreciate how entertaining their comments can be. Keep it up. ;)

Angeloz

Just because it not a lot, don't mean his resume is bad. And where you came up with that "Hollywood consider him as a very average actor"?

Routh résumé before SR:

Odd Man Out (1999)
Undressed (1999)
Gilmore Girls (2001)
One Life To Live (2001-2002)
Cold Case (2003)
Will & Grace (2004)
Oliver Beene (2004)
The Batman (2006)
Awesometown (2005)
After Midnight: Life Behind Bars (2006)
--------------------------------------------------

If that's not mediocrity in LA...... :o

After SR:

Life is Hot in Cracktown
Lie To Me (2008)
The Informers (2008)
Dead of Night (2008)
========================================

Hollywood gives Brandon minor roles for the most part because he's such a wonderful actor I guess.... :o
Those up coming movies.... among the "best" of the year. :whatever: :dry:

Heath Ledger was a great actor despite his young career, Routh is not even in the same league, he has to improve a lot before getting there.

You just idealize the guy, why? Look, I didn't like the Donner Superman movies that much either, but Christopher was excellent for the role.
When Routh was struggling with his career with minor roles here and there, Welling got the role as Clark Kent in Smallville. From early mediocrity seven years ago, he has turned into a decent actor now. I compared his acting in 2006 to Brandon in SR and Tom was better back then, do you watch Smallville at all? Episodes like Labyrinth (Season 6 ep.12) show how good he can be as an actor. He has to improve of course, but he is not that bad. Michael Rosenbaum is a good actor too, even better, the best Lex Luthor by many, but his movies are crap. Smallville has very good reviews, has its problems too, but overall is decent IMO.

And last but not least:

Roger Ebert: "Routh lacks charisma as Superman, and I suppose as Clark Kent, he isn't supposed to have any".
:hehe: ;)

I find it funny you praise what Ebert said. You wouldn't praise him if he like Routh. Beside, his opinion was crap. For god's sake, he wish it was campy like the original. And Routh's resume will grow. Wait & see, hater.

And Routh will be back as Superman with more & more news growing about MoS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"