Age of Ultron Ruffahulk Ruffasmash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't find Roth's character to be 2d at all. I saw dimension in Blonsky. If anything, Nolte's character was the more 2d one since we saw that he was crazy from the very beginning.

I've always thought (and still think) that Roth was great as Blonsky. Laid back, reserved, not too over the top, but still someone you could see was always on the breaking point of going over the edge. I'd love to see him back as the character, Roth in general is a very talented actor.

As for Ruffalo & the Hulk in AoU, I can't wait to see what's brought to the table. It'll be refreshing to finally see the same Hulk brought back from the previous film. Not gonna lie, I was getting a little tired of the design change from film to film. As much as I loved the design in TIH, TA nailed it perfectly. But, that's the benefit of working with ILM. ;)

I've always thought (and still think) that Roth was great as Blonsky. Laid back, reserved, not too over the top, but still someone you could see was always on the breaking point of going over the edge. I'd love to see him back as the character, Roth in general is a very talented actor.

As for Ruffalo & the Hulk in AoU, I can't wait to see what's brought to the table. It'll be refreshing to finally see the same Hulk brought back from the previous film. Not gonna lie, I was getting a little tired of the design change from film to film. As much as I loved the design in TIH, TA nailed it perfectly. But, that's the benefit of working with ILM. ;)

I'd love to see him come back, but at the same time I don't want him to just be shoe horned into the story.

Also, that'd be another green skinned goliath for them to model, rig and texture to perfection to be able to match the magnificent Hulk they've created. Unless Blonsky just remains in human form. Which could actually be pretty interesting. Maybe his mutation is too unstable for him to go back, maybe it's effected his human form, maybe he has to cope with the fact throughout the movie. Possibly gives him a unique character arc.

I'd love to see him come back, but at the same time I don't want him to just be shoe horned into the story.

Also, that'd be another green skinned goliath for them to model, rig and texture to perfection to be able to match the magnificent Hulk they've created. Unless Blonsky just remains in human form. Which could actually be pretty interesting. Maybe his mutation is too unstable for him to go back, maybe it's effected his human form, maybe he has to cope with the fact throughout the movie. Possibly gives him a unique character arc.

Oh, that's a must. While I do want to see him come back, it absolutely has to make sense within the story.

I'd like to see a little of a deviation from the comics where he can transform at will as opposed to be stuck in his gamma mutated form. It'd be an interesting contrast to have Blonsky as this guy who revels in being gamma infected & has control over himself whereas Banner would prefer a cure and has little to no control over himself when he changes.

Or, if they decide to actually introduce the Leader, they could just bring in Phil Sterns/Madman. I've always loved his look & the fact that he can size-shift to achieve different heights. And the fact that they're brothers would allow for a rather easy introduction. Not to mention I've always found Madman to be an extremely underrated villain.

[YT]0OG5ZcEgtEc[/YT]

Hulk and RAGE. Always a good combo.

I really hope that we will get a transformation scene as good as this one.
3697-hulk06incrediblehulk-fp-t2-0049r.jpg

I'm so relieved that Edward Norton didn't stick around. that would have been a poor fit. I can just picture him being mysteriously absent from the group photos, now.

;)

despite not looking like a stereotypical special forces guy, I thought that Roth's Blonsky was really great. he portrayed a real hunger/desperation for action. and that made it completely believable that the Abomination would just be a sadistic rampaging monster.

Gonna have to disagree there. Sam Elliot was an amazing General Ross, far better than the cardboard cliche in TIH. Jennifer Connelly was a more charismatic Betty Ross. Nick Nolte was a much more compelling villain than "want more drugs."

I agree about Jennifer Conley being a better Betty (but honestly I enjoyed Betty and Bruce's relationship in The Incredible Hulk more), but I definitely prefer Tim Roth and William Hurt over Sam Elliott and Nick Nolte.
As for Bruce Banner from best to worst

Bill Bixby 9.0
Mark Ruffallo - 8.5
Edward Norton - 8.5( I honestly which we saw more of Mark Ruffallo Bruce type intelligence/material)
Eric Bana - 7.4

But honestly it all falls down to material and the script they worked with.

Last edited:
I agree about Jennifer Conley being a better Betty (but honestly I enjoyed Betty and Bruce's relationship in The Incredible Hulk more), but I definitely prefer Tim Roth and William Hurt over Sam Elliott and Nick Nolte.
As for Bruce Banner from best to worst

Bill Bixby 9.0
Mark Ruffallo - 8.5
Edward Norton - 8.5( I honestly which we saw more of Mark Ruffallo Bruce type intelligence/material)
Eric Hanna - 7.4

But honestly it all falls down to material and the script they worked with.

Eric Bana, man!:woot:

I'd probably say Sam Elliot's General Ross is one the most respectful and intelligent interpretations of a marvel character done on film. Really loved his role in Hulk.

I'd probably say Sam Elliot's General Ross is one the most respectful and intelligent interpretations of a marvel character done on film. Really loved his role in Hulk.

IMO, AngHulk's interpretation of The Hulk was closer than MS version. I'd say Bruce too, but Ruffalo was better than the others.

Eh, I will be fair. The TIH version of Ross is far closer to the comic canon than the Ang Lee version.

That's because the comic version of General Ross is every bad General Ripper cliche rolled up into one thoroughly useless character. Ang Lee was well off for ditching him entirely and rebuilding from scratch as an actual hero antagonist.

I liked the TIH version the best, William Hurt even looks more like the Thunderbolt I remember from the comics/cartoons. Im a big Sam Elliot fan but he was an unbearable bastard in Lee's HULK as were most of the characters. That may have been intentional but it made me dislike HULK about as much as Man of Steel did for Superman.

hulk_smash_gif.gif

Last edited:
I've just realized how many of Hulk's villains are simply put, not very good. I mean, there's Leader, Mercy, Red Hulk, Flux, Red King, Abomination, the U-Foes and the Gamma Corps but that's about it.

Even then, the U-Foes seem to be busy fighting other heroes instead of Hulk for the past twenty years and Mercy's backstory changes with each new appearance. The Red King also only has one arc to him which is Planet Hulk, after that he simply doesn't reappear and Flux and Abomination are dead right now.

Then there are the villains who only pop up in Hulk comics from time to time like Trauma, Ravage and Half-Life, none of which are frequent enemies who are cool but don't appear nearly often enough to really be "major villains."

And then there's the fact that Juggernaut is over at Fox so he can't be used which is why I'm not including him on the list of Hulk's good villains.

Does anyone else feel like this is a factor as to why there's no word on a Hulk sequel?

I think the main reason HULK doesnt have any sequels set up is because of the nature of the character. Hes not your typical hero, he more of a monster. From the beginning his story has been about the gov't/law hunting him down like Frankenstein. So if you take that away, they have to come up with some other kind of plot. The whole "lonely guy on the run" has been played out at this point. That is unless he turns on The Avengers and they have to stop him. Which is actually pretty cool, since he could kick their asses. I think Hulk may become too much of a danger for them and theyll send him away somewhere.

Just follow the template of the animated series where he's kind of viewed as a hero by some and monster by others. You have to have a section of the populous actually rooting for him because the whole "everyone is against him thing" is played out. After Avengers it's obvious that the world knows he's at least fighting for good. Ruffalo can carry a movie at this point.

Just follow the template of the animated series where he's kind of viewed as a hero by some and monster by others. You have to have a section of the populous actually rooting for him because the whole "everyone is against him thing" is played out. After Avengers it's obvious that the world knows he's at least fighting for good. Ruffalo can carry a movie at this point.

Exactly. Saying that Hulk can only be good for "man on the run" stories is harmful. I can't believe Whedon doesn't believe in the character's ability to run a solo, even after what he himself did with the character in Avengers. (He could have gone the Ultimates route, like everyone and their grandmothers predicted, but instead Hulk was a reliable ally.)

He does have good villains, they're just criminally underused in the comics. Adapt them to film and give them something important to do, and I guarantee you they can be just as iconic as Abomination.

I think the basis of the film could probably be about Hulk and Banner being at odds with each other, all while attempting to deal with whatever villain is causing grief to the world. Hulk always wants to be in charge while Banner does, a la some of the more recent stories.

they could go with Banner being put on trial (represented by his cousin); initiated by one of the human villains of the piece. that could be disrupted by the Leader and his gamma-altered victims (Harpy, She-Hulk, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"