MCU Fight: Thor Vs. Ultron Prime

Cull vs Abomb would be a good one :up:

When it's my actual turn I'm gonna do that one next or The Destroyer vs Abomination.

I am not singling you out or anything. I am saying though Thor fights feel like the same argument when they come up. On a personal level, I do think the power stone's power is under sold largely as is how powerful Thanos is. Thor's the most powerful hero, I think we can agree on that. I just don't think he is a match for Thanos.

I do feel like some of the lower tiers don't get as much attention, though. We mostly get powerhouse and transcendent fights.

I know I was just putting everything out on the table it's all good and I agree because personally I wasn't going to use Thor again anytime soon.

We do focus on the upper tiers more but that because they have less characters so it's easier to get them finished. I try to do lower tier characters every now and then I'll start doing more though.

Last edited:
For me it is simpler: Thanos > Thor. The Nova Corp called Thanos the most powerful being in the universe, and the Nova Corp no doubt know of Asgard and Thor. So they at least think Thanos trumps him.

As already pointed out in this thread, it was Korath who said that, not a member of the Nova Corp. No offense to Korath but he's not exactly going to be an authority on that kind of thing, he's likely just going on propaganda and his own very limited experience. I highly doubt that Thanos without the gauntlet is more powerful than Odin. Prime Odin could have taken Thanos with ease considering he defeated freaking Prime Surtur (!) at some point in the past and managed to keep a being as powerful as Hela at bay for thousands of years. Hela herself is way more powerful than Thanos without the gauntlet IMO, as is Ego and obviously Dormammu and Prime Surtur, but Korath of course would have had no way of knowing that those four existed.

As for the actual thread topic, I vote Thor for this one. Baseline Thor (with Mjolnir, granted) gave Ultron Prime a lot of trouble, powered up Thor with Stormbreaker would do a lot worse than that.

Thor easily.

Last edited:
As already pointed out in this thread, it was Korath who said that, not a member of the Nova Corp. No offense to Korath but he's not exactly going to be an authority on that kind of thing, he's likely just going on propaganda and his own very limited experience. I highly doubt that Thanos without the gauntlet is more powerful than Odin. Prime Odin could have taken Thanos with ease considering he defeated freaking Prime Surtur (!) at some point in the past and managed to keep a being as powerful as Hela at bay for thousands of years. Hela herself is way more powerful than Thanos without the gauntlet IMO, as is Ego and obviously Dormammu and Prime Surtur, but Korath of course would have had no way of knowing that those four existed.

As for the actual thread topic, I vote Thor for this one. Baseline Thor (with Mjolnir, granted) gave Ultron Prime a lot of trouble, powered up Thor with Stormbreaker would do a lot worse than that.

True, but Odin was not in his prime anymore and as noted Korath would not know the 4 you mentioned existed. But he no doubt knows of Asgard, Odin, Thor, etc. They're sort of a big deal in the galaxy. So I think that still definitely has merit.

Thör-El;36733651 said:
Ultron gave Thor trouble in AoU by blindsiding him, knocking Mjolnir away and pinning Thor with what seemed to be a strength advantage. Still, Thor was joking/distracting him for Vision and didn't seem to be in any real danger.
Later we see a fairly small lightning strike from Thor contribute to melting Ultron's vibranium and then Ultron gets thrown across the city by one hit from Hulk.

I'm not convinced Ultron was a tier above him back then but Thor became far more powerful in Ragnarok/Infinity War anyway so I definitely see him winning a rematch

• Post-Ragnarok Thor has unarmed lightning punches powerful enough to stun/ragdoll Hulk so I can't see him struggling in close quarters even if he's disarmed
  • He's summoned lightning strikes vastly more powerful than the one that helped melt Ultron's vibranium - e.g .ragdolling/stunning Hela, destroying Sokovia, shooting down Chitauri leviathans
  • His durability feats have become far more extreme (taking Hulk's best hits without a scratch, surviving the full force of a star) to the point where I can't see Ultron hurting him
  • He's gained an axe that can overpower a blast from the Infinity Gauntlet and still have enough momentum left over to near enough one shot Thanos (who tore through Vision's vibranium skull with his bare hands). If it can do that then it should be able to cut through vibranium.

:up: this.

Nah, Iron Man has different entire suits and Doctor Strange had an Infinity Stone. Honestly I don't think Thor got a power boost in Ragnarok, just got more feats and power displays.

Thor's power ups seem to just be a natural evolution of the MCU expanding. Also Stormbreaker is a weapon unique to it's wielder unlike the Time Gem which isn't something specifically made for Strange.

I can't say I agree.

His Ragnarok power boost was the difference between being way below Hela and being able to hold his own for a minute or so on the bifrost and the lightning aura that blocks attacks, the telekinetic lightning that can grab/throw an enemy, and summoning three bolts at once to outright disintegrate enemies are all abilities he's never showed before and I think they put him a tier higher.

And then on top of that Stormbreaker makes the difference between it being suicide to go up against Thanos with two infinity stones and almost killing him in one hit when he had six.

It's pretty similar to the jump when Surtur gets the eternal flame or Iron Man getting into the powerhouse tier when he gets the Hulkbuster/Bleeding Edge armour on.

Which Thor?
Thor 1 = Ultron Prime wins
Avengers = Ultron Prime wins
Thor 2 = Ultron Prime wins
Age of Ultron = tie-ish major devastation, Ultron still at large
Ragnarok = No hammer, yes lightning? Ultron wins 6/10
Infinity War = w/ stormbreaker? Thor win's handily.

Which Thor?
Thor 1 = Ultron Prime wins
Avengers = Ultron Prime wins
Thor 2 = Ultron Prime wins
Age of Ultron = tie-ish major devastation, Ultron still at large
Ragnarok = No hammer, yes lightning? Ultron wins 6/10
Infinity War = w/ stormbreaker? Thor win's handily.

In the opening post I listed Stormbreaker under Thor's powers and the gif image has Thor using Stormbreaker soooooo.....

Last edited:
Pedantic nitpick: I think Ultron Prime was the moniker used in commercial tie-ins referring to the form before the vibranium upgrade. The final form was labeled Vibranium Ultron (d'oh). :oldrazz:

Thör-El;36739947 said:
I can't say I agree.

His Ragnarok power boost was the difference between being way below Hela and being able to hold his own for a minute or so on the bifrost and the lightning aura that blocks attacks, the telekinetic lightning that can grab/throw an enemy, and summoning three bolts at once to outright disintegrate enemies are all abilities he's never showed before and I think they put him a tier higher.

And then on top of that Stormbreaker makes the difference between it being suicide to go up against Thanos with two infinity stones and almost killing him in one hit when he had six.

It's pretty similar to the jump when Surtur gets the eternal flame or Iron Man getting into the powerhouse tier when he gets the Hulkbuster/Bleeding Edge armour on.

So should we have two different Hulks, one for "TIH Hulk" and one for "Avengers Hulk" since they both have vastly different power levels. What about "First Avenger/The Avengers Captain America" and "Winter Soldier-IW Captain America" being two different characters since he also got a power boost. How about Gamora who barely seemed superhuman in GOTG 1 and in GOTG2 was upgraded to lifting a multi-ton spaceship canon. "GOTG1 Drax" who got KO'd by melee attacks and "GOTG2 Drax" who survived atmospheric re-entry and being slammed through a forest of trees at several hundred miles per hour. We also have "AOU Scarlet Witch" who's shield was destroyed by lasers from fodder Ultron bots to "IW Scarlet" Witch who held back Thanos and lifted giant vehicles the size of small buldings. Or "Avengers Iron Man" who went toe to toe with Thor and "Civil War Iron Man" where he lost to Captain America and Bucky.

See how crazy that would get?

Last edited:
The SDCC exclusive Thor Ragnarok pop is titled "Thor with Odin Force," which makes it clear that Thor gained new powers after Odin died. Marvel gives Funko the character descriptions, I assume. Thor certainly displayed that level of power in Ragnarok and in the finale of IW.

He isn't a different character now (that's ridiculous) but he has inherited his father's powers now that he's king of Asgard. Thor with the Odin Force can make scrap metal out of Ultron. He basically one-shotted Thanos with the gauntlet, surprise or no, after thrashing his army across a battlefield. His ability to do that says to me that he wouldn't have any problem at all taking Ultron apart.

30754_ThorRagnarok_Thor_POP_GLAM_SDCC_large.png

The SDCC exclusive Thor Ragnarok pop is titled "Thor with Odin Force," which makes it clear that Thor gained new powers after Odin died. Marvel gives Funko the character descriptions, I assume. Thor certainly displayed that level of power in Ragnarok and in the finale of IW.

30754_ThorRagnarok_Thor_POP_GLAM_SDCC_large.png

Wow I never knew about this.

So should we have two different Hulks, one for "TIH Hulk" and one for "Avengers Hulk" since they both have vastly different power levels. What about "First Avenger/The Avengers Captain America" and "Winter Soldier-IW Captain America" being two different characters since he also got a power boost. How about Gamora who barely seemed superhuman in GOTG 1 and in GOTG2 was upgraded to lifting a multi-ton spaceship canon. "GOTG1 Drax" who got KO'd by melee attacks and "GOTG2 Drax" who survived atmospheric re-entry and being slammed through a forest of trees at several hundred miles per hour. We also have "AOU Scarlet Witch" who's shield was destroyed by lasers from fodder Ultron bots to "IW Scarlet" Witch who held back Thanos and lifted giant vehicles the size of small buldings. Or "Avengers Iron Man" who went toe to toe with Thor and "Civil War Iron Man" where he lost to Captain America and Bucky.

See how crazy that would get?

I agree you have to draw the line somewhere.

Personally I'd say the difference is between:

#A) characters with the same powers and no in-story reason to suddenly become vastly more powerful just getting more feats/getting stronger with experience
e.g.
  • the Cap, Wanda, Gamora examples you mentioned
  • Dr Strange learning new spells between films
  • Pretty much every MCU martial artist getting better over time

and

#B) characters the story - often mid film - blatantly shows have suddenly gained something that makes them more powerful
  • Surtur getting the eternal flame
  • Thanos getting the Infinity Gems
  • Blonsky becoming Abomination
  • Iron Man calling in Hulkbuster
  • Ant-Man becoming Giant Man
  • Thor unlocking his lightning powers
  • Thor gaining Stormbreaker

Iron Man's an odd one because he has countless slightly different suits across Iron Man 1-3, Civil War, Avengers 1-2 and Homecoming suits that have a few feats each and maybe vary a bit in terms of capability but I think it makes sense to combine them. The only two that stand out to me as distinct/significant enough to deserve their own separate places in the list are the Infinity War nanotech suit and the Hulkbuster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"