Saving Enterprise - official thread

Fettstyl said:
You make a good point about the smart thing and trek and then you go on to show that you yourself are an idiot by your signature. :rolleyes:

I'm not putting down religion, I'm just saying that it's insane and violent of nature. ;) :p

Okay, that opening sequence was one of the coolest things ever. If this show isn't worth saving, I don't know what is.

Pink Ranger said:
Okay, that opening sequence was one of the coolest things ever. If this show isn't worth saving, I don't know what is.

I'm assuming your talking about the opening to the mirror episode. It was great. If the whole series had been like that it probably wouldn't be cancelled right now. I'm looking forward to part 2, excellent story so far.

Fettstyl said:
I'm assuming your talking about the opening to the mirror episode. It was great. If the whole series had been like that it probably wouldn't be cancelled right now. I'm looking forward to part 2, excellent story so far.

D@mn skippy. The women's uniforms were stupid, but otherwise I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I don't have tv :( just dvds so I'm patiently waiting for the dvd releases

Incase You Haven't Heard, The Campaign Has Stopped

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Whenever "Star Trek" returns to television in the future, it probably won't be as a direct result of money raised by fans.
The latest campaign to keep the long-running sci-fi franchise on the air has given up its quest to fund a fifth season of UPN's "Star Trek: Enterprise" through donations from fans. The folks behind TrekUnited, which was both the leader of the campaign and an object of ridicule for some "Trek" fans, said last week that they'll start refunding money pledged to the effort.

"[D]espite the significant sum being offered to produce a fifth season ... ['Enterprise' producer] Paramount turned down the offer," a statement on TrekUnited's web site reads. "Paramount has reinforced its stance that it cannot and will not take money contributed by fans, even though TrekUnited became incorporated over one and a half months ago and technically any money offered would not have to be regarded any different than from a corporate sponsor."

That phrase "cannot and will not take money contributed by fans" has been a sticking point for some fans of the franchise, who have been engaged in a running flame war with TrekUnited on several "Star Trek" message boards. The language echoes a letter sent from Paramount executive John Wentworth to TrekUnited head Tim Brazeal in March, which stated that UPN's decision to cancel the show was final.
The letter wasn't made public, however, until it was posted on Paramount's startrek.com site earlier this month. Its release caused Brazeal's doubters to accuse him of being less than upfront about the campaign's chances of success, or worse, that he was using the money for his own gain -- a charge he has repeatedly denied.

The campaign raised more than $140,000 in fan contributions and received a pledge of $3 million from anonymous investors in the "space flight industry," according to TrekUnited. After an initial flurry of donations and the seven-figure pledges, though, money was slow to trickle in, and at any rate fell far short of the amount needed to cover a full season of production.

"Enterprise" will end its four-year run on UPN with two episodes Friday, May 13.

Actually, the campaign hasn't ended, just the fundraising part of it.

TrekUnited was able to bring some corporate sponsors onboard, including a Canadian production company and SkyOne TV (who currently co-funds Battlestar Galactica with Sci-Fi Channel). Together, with fan rasied donations, we offered Paramount over $63 million to produce season 5! This is around $20 million more then what season 5 would cost. Yet they turned the deal down.

One of the reasons Parmount cited for rejecting the offer was that they didn't want to accept fan money, even though TrekUnited had become incorporated and could be an official sponsor to the show. This is why it was decided to end the mony raising part of the campaign and refund the donations. (There was also no need to continue fundraising since we had all the money necessary through corporate sponsors.)

The campaign still continues, we're just reorganizing to take a different approach. Money is obviously not the issue since we've offered much more than is needed. The decision to cancel Enterprise is a political one, and in that respect we're coming up with new campaign ideas.

New deals are being planned that will eventually be offered to Paramount. One of the hottest ideas buzzing around the TU forum is bringing awareness of Paramount's decision to the Viacom shareholders (Viacom owns Paramount). Viacom stock has dropped around $10 off its 52-week high, yet one of Viacom's holdings just turned down a deal that would bring tens of millions of dollars in free money. (It is free money because Paramount would pay nothing for production, therefore all money made from selling season 5 to a network or into syndication would be 100% profit.) Turning the offer down does not make good business sense. To that end, some of our members have actually taken their refunded money and bought stock in Viacom so they can have some small say. Some are even planning to attend the shareholders meeting in May to bring the issue up.

There is also hope in the form of a possible splitting up of Viacom. The company would divide itself into two areas, one of them controlling Viacom's television interests. One of the names mentioned to head the television division up (sorry I can't remember her name right now, it is in the forums but I can't find it) is favorable to sci-fi progamming and would be more likely to accept an Enterprise deal than Les Moonves (who was instrumental in the show's cancellation).

There are other ideas floating about, but the reorganization has us in a sort of jumble right now, so I'm not sure what they all are yet. If anyone has ideas that you'd like to contribute on how we can continue the campaign, we're more than willing to listen. You can post them here and I'll pass them along, or just join the TU forum and list them directly.

Honestly, i stopped watching Enterprise during the third season premiere. Last week i started watching again(finally caving into all those,"we swear it's WAY better now rumors and things i've heard on sites not even related to star trek") and my god, it really IS good now. At least, the "in a mirror darkly" 2 parter was good anyway. Those 2 are imo, the single best episodes of the series. I love me some Hoshi Sato and it was great to see her get some spotlight.

I don't know, overall, i don't know if i ever would've liked it as much as some other Trek series(mainly due to them giving little screentime to the supporting cast. poor Mayweather. did he EVER get stuff to do?) but I'm onboard for the final episodes at least.

I think the "save enterprise" campaign is pretty cool though and I think it sucks that Paramount won't give it another season when 63 million has been raised. That's just silly. When you have that much money being shelled out by fans and investors, clearly it's worthy of at least one more season. Hell, if the quality of these last 2 continues, i'd definitely tune in.

I definately liked the mirror thing. It was great to see the original ship design and uniforms done new and fresh. They should make a new trek like that, just pick up a couple years after kirks reign. I don't like the pc storyline of the coming episode though. BUT HEY......thats just me.

All i can say to the makers of entrprise. Why didn't you start off with stuff like what has been in this searies and the one before. They are both great and if we had more of this instead of the first 2 series then enterprise would have been able to survive. Stupid berman he needs to get the hell away from trek.

Anyone watch the final two episodes? What did you think?

darkdaz said:
were the last 2 eps shown together in the us
Yes I watched them both last night and I hadn't watched it in a long time. I just wanted to see how they ended it and it was interesting. :cool:

Meh, I didn't care for Enterpise. Too much time travel. Plus I think it is really sad that there are people starving, dying because they cannot afford medicine, etc. and these people don't give jack **** about that...but when they find out a TV show they watch is canceled...then they donate money by the thousands. Shows how ****ed up the priorities of the "Trekkies" are.

Matt said:
Meh, I didn't care for Enterpise. Too much time travel. Plus I think it is really sad that there are people starving, dying because they cannot afford medicine, etc. and these people don't give jack **** about that...but when they find out a TV show they watch is canceled...then they donate money by the thousands. Shows how ****ed up the priorities of the "Trekkies" are.

Not everybody can hold the weight of the world on their shoulders like you can.

Matt said:

I'm glad that you spend no money on entertainment like comics, movies, tv, DVD's, or games, and give it all to charities.

Because buying those products which supports those companies and shows/films/etc is the same as we using our entertainment budget to donate to a show that we support.

I and others have said it many times. Contributing to charity and Enterprise was not mutually exclusive. Those who did give to the show took money out of their entertainment budget and did not reduce their charitable donations. And those who could only donate to charity or Enterprise we hope gave to the charity since that is the more important cause. Star Trek, and its fans, have always been about humanity helping itself to reach new heights. Not many other shows out there can say the same.

I really liked this show and am sad that they cancelled it. Oh well. It was still a great finale, tying things together nicely, even having the finale taking place during the course of a classic episode of TNG. :up:

Matt said:

:rolleyes: :yawn:

I love Ent. its a shame it didn't get the time to transform into an awesomer series.

It was pretty weak in the first season, but it definitely evolved. 4th season I pretty much was saying "Holy crap that was awesome" after every episode.

It was pretty weak in the first season, but it definitely evolved. 4th season I pretty much was saying "Holy crap that was awesome" after every episode.

except that season 4 was the exact same as 2, with the exception that 4 had bigger guns

except that season 4 was the exact same as 2, with the exception that 4 had bigger guns
Season 2 had regeneration and season 4 had just about every good episode like Cold Station 12 and In a Mirror, Darkly and the Klingon Augment storyline.

T'Pol was the best part of the show, I also wish Travis[the black pilot] and the asian chick got more development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"