Secret Invasion Season 1, Episode 4 - Beloved SPOILERS Discussion Thread

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
The back half of the series has begun!

This is a SPOILERS thread. Enter at your own risk for spoilers will not be tagged in here.

What did yall think?

This episode was pretty good. I loved the table scene with Fury and Varra. Charlayne Woodard is charismatic and likable, I wish she had more screen time. This episode was so short (maybe 30 minutes without credits, intro, and recap), they could have easily added more material for her and Fury, deepening their connection. The action scene wasn't bad either, some of those shots were very engaging, like Gravik dropping from the helicopter and another POV shot of the helicopter crashing.

If Talos is dead (and he probably is), that's a shame. He's the most interesting character in the show. Then again, another fakeout would be uninteresting and an odd choice.

So, Rhodey is a Skrull AND Talos's wife? Or just a random female Skrull?

This episode was a solid 7/10 and the best one so far. The first three were rather dull, let's hope the rest of the episodes are at least as good and this show somehow comes together.

So my theory that Rhodes isn't a Skrull didn't come true. I felt they were trying to convince he was when he wasn't. I really like this episode. Felt like we got the old Nick Fury back in some of the scenes with Rhodes and Varra.

So the Rhodey in this is a Skrull. How long has this been going on? If the real Rhodey is the one we saw in End Game and the brief 20 second cameo in Falcon and the Winter Soldier....what the hell happened to him?

So the Rhodey in this is a Skrull. How long has this been going on? If the real Rhodey is the one we saw in End Game and the brief 20 second cameo in Falcon and the Winter Soldier....what the hell happened to him?
Hope he's not dead. :(

Probably under the Skrulls custody. I doubt he's been one for long. I don't think the president thought he was acting strange (drunk) just because of his/her breath but because he was acting different than usual. Same way Nick figured it out.

(Side note but it was interesting that a female Skrull has been portraying him. For some weird reason, so far male Skrulls have only impersonated human men and female Skrulls human women. Which is crazy considering they can shape-shift into pretty much anything )

One thing I find odd that hasn't been brought up is how the Skrulls haven't been given the home that was promised, yet the Asgardians were welcome to Earth and given a place for their own in Norway where they can be themselves. You'd think they'd be pissed about it. (Then again, New Asgard seems to be a small population unlike the at least 1,000,000 Skrulls walking on earth).

Also I find it hard to believe that we won't see Monica Rambeau pop up in this series for several reasons:

- When we last saw her, she was headed up to space as Nick Fury called her up there, likely to help her train to be a superhero. Well he's on Earth now. So if he's on Earth, who's training her how to be a superhero?
- G'iah is the little Skrull girl from Captain Marvel that Monica played with as a kid. She was named dropped during the series.

I liked the episode at all. The writing in certain dialogs is top.
But the editing and writing between some scenes steals the thunder. Imagine the meeting with Fury and his wife without the former cut of Fury where he overhears her and "Rhodey". The viewer would be surprised in the dialog, that he knew her plan.

Also, the reveal of Rhodey was kind of random. If you want to confirm it, use it as a cliffhanger in the last episode instead of an inexact phone call.

It seems that Sonya is the only human with Fury in that show. :beaming:

Is it save to say that Talos is dead? I havent watched all the promo material, so I dont know if some scenes are left for him. If he is dead, it feels really similair to Marias death.

I mean, it was fine I guess?? The dialog and the action was great. But otherwise it was just AIGHT. The story is still kinda stagnant.

Probably under the Skrulls custody. I doubt he's been one for long. I don't think the president thought he was acting strange (drunk) just because of his/her breath but because he was acting different than usual. Same way Nick figured it out.

(Side note but it was interesting that a female Skrull has been portraying him. For some weird reason, so far male Skrulls have only impersonated human men and female Skrulls human women. Which is crazy considering they can shape-shift into pretty much anything )

One thing I find odd that hasn't been brought up is how the Skrulls haven't been given the home that was promised, yet the Asgardians were welcome to Earth and given a place for their own in Norway where they can be themselves. You'd think they'd be pissed about it. (Then again, New Asgard seems to be a small population unlike the at least 1,000,000 Skrulls walking on earth).

According to Feige, he's been a Skrull for awhile.
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/secret-invasion-don-cheadle-kevin-feige-rhodey-skrull

"But now that this reveal is out in the open, there are still bigger issues at hand including just how long Rhodey has been a Skrull?! That revelation will have to wait, as viewers come to “understand exactly how long he’s been a Skrull,” Feige adds. “We like the idea of fans going back and watching some of the other appearances of Rhodey and realizing that that wasn't him.”

If I have to guess, maybe after he got injured in Civil War. It's not too far back to forgo a lot of his character development but far enough to seem leave some impact. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I do take issue with this quote though...

“We needed to have a character that one would not expect to be a Skrull.,”

Feige, he was the most obvious person to be a Skrull lol. Like I'm a bit disappointed they went this route with him. It would have been more surprising if he wasn't but alas it is what it is. Now that it's been revealed, I'm hoping they can do something interesting with it and his character going forward.

As for the episode, there was a lot of interesting moments but probably my least favorite of the 4 episodes. The short run time didn't give enough breating room for the various scenes.

Last edited:
Man, it's weird how this new episode was so short yet super satisfying in so many ways. When I first saw that 35-minute running time I got a bit worried, but the pacing of it was perfect for the most part.

It definitely didn't feel rushed and gave some of the best character development for Fury in this show yet. Seeing him interact so much with not only Talos, but his wife and Rhodey throughout each of these episodes really brings a new perspective to Fury that we haven't gotten before and I'm loving it.

That's the kind of growth I've wanted to see from him since the beginning and it was a great idea to pair him so much with other super talented dramatic actors like Mendelsohn and Cheadle.

I also really enjoyed the TWS esque action sequence towards the end. I wish this show had more gritty, action scenes like that spread throughout but when its onscreen its really well done.

So when exactly did we lose the real Rhodey?
Thinking about it more, if not after his injury in Civil War then maybe during the 5 year blip. Not just because it's easier to swap him out during that time frame or because it's less movies to retcon. But primarily because of what Talos said to Fury in episode 2 about being lost with Fury gone and making the call to have a million skrulls come to Earth. It was probably during this time that Gravik started his initiative to take over and have Skrull agents slowly integrate in various positions of power.

To me it's gotta be one of those two. Any earlier than the Civil War injury, it may cheapen his previous appearences and character development. Any later (which really is only his 1 scene in Falcon & Winter Soldier), it won't seem like a groundbreaking reveal.

Last edited:
For all the talk of making it look like Russians, lead by a Black guy weeks after Fury would stand out so much we get an I am Groot moment to grab a Secret Service Agent inside as easy a gun range as the rest CAT Team was being taken out.

And we also have the British quick reaction force to back up the US Secret Service saying aliens, not Russians did this.

Also I find it hard to believe that we won't see Monica Rambeau pop up in this series for several reasons:

- When we last saw her, she was headed up to space as Nick Fury called her up there, likely to help her train to be a superhero. Well he's on Earth now. So if he's on Earth, who's training her how to be a superhero?

I'm very curious where this show fits in the timeline, in relation to The Marvels. We know Fury and Monica are together, in space, in that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"