Daredevil Season 3, Episode 10 "Karen" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F849401%2Fe8b0a60b-672f-4480-bf20-079faf336ac1.jpg

Discuss Episode 10: "Karen" here.

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

Last edited:
Who was the opening song? Petey Pablo?

The flashback was difficult for a lot of reasons. Karen Page's backstory is quite different. I can't quite remember the details, but I remember her dad is dead in the comics and something about a skeleton on a horse, I dunno. What happened with her brother was tough. She certainly made some dumb decisions but it seemed everyone else did too. Either way, I'm glad we finally got to see her story. There might be a defense to her driving but probably not.

The present day stuff was very intense. Honestly, of all the outcomes, this was the one I was most prepared to accept. Things aren't really done so I'm still worried for everyone else, though.

Four and a Half Stars. I'm not sure how I can go to bed after all that, but I'll finish the last three episodes tomorrow.

Who was the opening song? Petey Pablo?

The flashback was difficult for a lot of reasons. Karen Page's backstory is quite different. I can't quite remember the details, but I remember her dad is dead in the comics and something about a skeleton on a horse, I dunno. What happened with her brother was tough. She certainly made some dumb decisions but it seemed everyone else did too. Either way, I'm glad we finally got to see her story. There might be a defense to her driving but probably not.

The present day stuff was very intense. Honestly, of all the outcomes, this was the one I was most prepared to accept. Things aren't really done so I'm still worried for everyone else, though.

Four and a Half Stars. I'm not sure how I can go to bed after all that, but I'll finish the last three episodes tomorrow.
I find Karen to be a hypocrite. She gets all mad when Matt doesn't tell her every little secret, but yet she keeps from him her drug past and that she killed Wesley.

Everyone but Foggy is a hypocrite. I'd still say Daredevil is a bigger lie since it's something active and not in the past.

I couldn't help but chuckle at all those early 2000's songs playing in Karen's flashback. I was only a kid back then, but man did it still take me back. This was a great episode though, especially seeing the relationship she had with her dad and the stuff with her brother was pretty rough too. Also, that church fight was awesome.

It definitely looked like Bullseye was a bit out of his element there, but the dude adapts quick, and using those beads as weapons was cool. It honestly reminded me quite a bit of the 2003 movie except done much better, and unlike most people I don't even mind that movie.

What a horrendous sequence of events that was for Karen and her family. :csad:

Last edited:
The music made me smile. Nostalgia.

When Karen said earlier about how people said she killed her brother, I just assumed it was that she got him and drugs too and he overdosed. She and her family all did dumb things that made the events unfold how they did.

I feel like Matt should be taking on Dex better. Just as he said, the issue is making sure he stays close to him. So, with that, I feel like the close hand to hand combat shouldn’t be as hard for Matt as it seems. But that’s just me.

I really thought this was the episode when Dex was going to kill her I mean they set it up like she deserves it kind of with that flashback
very disappointed they she made it out of the episode shame the priest got it his scenes were always great IMO

I thought he might die. He's a great character but important enough for a meaningful death without completely impacting the narrative going forward.

Besides (speculation/spoilers for future episodes):
There's room for Sister Maggie to fill the role going forward

Why do so many people hate Karen and want her to die? Sheesh. I've noticed that in comic book forums, it's a common thing for fans to hate the female lead. I guess I understand it if the character is poorly written or acted, but Karen is a complex character and Deborah Ann Woll is just excellent in her portrayal. This episode did a great job of showing her checkered past. I felt so bad for her.

Why do so many people hate Karen and want her to die? Sheesh. I've noticed that in comic book forums, it's a common thing for fans to hate the female lead. I guess I understand it if the character is poorly written or acted, but Karen is a complex character and Deborah Ann Woll is just excellent in her portrayal. This episode did a great job of showing her checkered past. I felt so bad for her.

I don't get it either. I like Karen quite a bit. Honestly, I like her more than I did Elektra.

Because she has no experience or knowledge to be doing what she keeps on doing. All she does is get people killed because she is always out of her element! I get she is trying to help and get justice but back off and let the people who are capable do it.

Got Daredevil movie vibes with that fight lol.

Obviously the big thing in this episode was seeing Karen's past and I'm glad we finally did but I didn't think it was a great time for it.

Both the present and past scenes made this such a depressing episode. I really liked the backstory they gave Karen though. It's tragic and an effective way of showing why she is the way she is. Her brother being super likable just made everything even more depressing. I knew she wasn't going to die but I still found myself holding my breath at that moment.

I kinda forgot I was watching Daredevil for a bit

I don't get it either. I like Karen quite a bit. Honestly, I like her more than I did Elektra.
I don't hate her personally. But I don't care enough about her to see 29 minutes of backstory on her getting the way of the action.

Because she has no experience or knowledge to be doing what she keeps on doing. All she does is get people killed because she is always out of her element! I get she is trying to help and get justice but back off and let the people who are capable do it.
The same could be said of almost every costumed superhero character ever: usually they start a lone crusade against crime without proper training and/or legal mandate, their best stories also usually are about them overcoming some huge failure that costed lives.

It may not be the case with you, but most often than not these kinds of complaints turn up only with female characters.

The quivering shakiness mode that Deborah Ann Woll constantly resorts to.

The same could be said of almost every costumed superhero character ever: usually they start a lone crusade against crime without proper training and/or legal mandate, their best stories also usually are about them overcoming some huge failure that costed lives.

It may not be the case with you, but most often than not these kinds of complaints turn up only with female characters.

Which just reeks of sexism and misogyny. (People forgive Matt for his mistakes, but condemn Karen for hers?)

I thought he might die. He's a great character but important enough for a meaningful death without completely impacting the narrative going forward.

Besides (speculation/spoilers for future episodes):
There's room for Sister Maggie to fill the role going forward
Yeah and he's had a fair shot and has a ready-made replacement who seems every bit as good (or even better) in Sister Maggie. This isn't like the Ben Urich death which I wish had been postponed a little so we could have more episodes with that amazing character.

I don't hate Karen, I used to watch True Blood and liked the actress ever since, but I do hate what she did to Ben in Season one.

First she lies about having found a place where they might be able to take care of his sick wife, but it's only a plan to trick Ben into talking to Wilson's mom. I thought that kinda crossed a line.

Then when she kills Wesley, she doesn't really warn Ben about Fisk probably also coming after him. She just says something to Ben like he has to be careful, but she does a bad job at convincing him that he's actually in real danger. She doesn't mention to him that she was attacked, and when he gets killed she keeps all that information to herself.

But other than that, I do like Karen. It's just this one thing she did I really dislike. And I prefer her with Matt over Electra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"