Daredevil Season 2, Episode 4 "Penny and Dime" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Probably my favorite episode on the whole show, just wonderful from beginning to the end. I don't always love the super long talks this show does (especially when it involved the priest), but that monologue at the graveyard was incredible. The acting was such high quality, I had no idea Bernthal was that good.

It's pretty wild that the most emotional scene of whole MCU is the Punisher talking about his family for ten minutes straight. Marvel and Netflix together = pure gold.

This poor guy...

First he's killed by a Reaper Vampire.
MV5BMTg0MzQ1MTg1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTA4ODA3._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Then he dies in a war and has the statue put up in his honour decapitated by his grandson.
latest

And now he gets his face blown off by the Punisher

He also got torn into a million pieces by a Helicopter blade in Underworld 2 :D.

This episode was almost like a feel-good season finale with one of those like WHOA epilogue endings.

In some ways episodes 1-4 were like a mini-season or an extra long movie.

Totally agree-- it felt like it was its own contained series within a series. 1-4 felt like when the comics run an arc, within a story. Very well done! And I think that's what makes this episode work, it ties up everything it was building toward in the earlier episodes. ANd the very last scene sets the new tone moving forward.

Gotta go...guess it's time for the 5th episode (i'm purposely pacing myself, trying not to shot my load all at once--so to speak).

I felt like these first four episodes could have been a movie in and of itself.

This episode was amazing. It had it all. Bernthal is killing it. I knew he was going to be a badass but he's nailing the quiet non-action moments as well. I hope he gets his own series.

Another amazing episode. Franks monolgue to Matt had me crying. Damn what a great performance from Jon there. Frank is hard core though. loved the cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next episode.

I'm not gonna lie I teared up a bit when he was
talking about his daughter. My boy is 19 months old and everything he said about his daughter I have the exact same experiences with my son. He makes me read the same books over and over when putting him to bed lol. And when I pick him up from daycare I love to watch him play before I go in the room.

Episode 3 was great then Episode 4 kinda blew it away. That cemetery scene. Noone was ready to cry Im sure. :)

Getting tortured by mobsters was def less painful for Frank than talking about his family.

Character > action.

Last edited:
Yeah everyone seems to go on about episode 3, but this episode was better in my opinion. Honestly probably my favorite episode of the entire season.

The first four episodes have been equally as much a Punisher TV series as a DD TV series. The only thing missing, I would say, from the first four episodes, is Punisher's skull costume. If it had that, these episodes could easily be re-edited into a theatrical Punisher/DD movie. I'm not sure what you could cut out though to get it to a more normal movie length instead of over 3 hours.

Ya cant have a skull costume until he becomes The Punisher. Hes still Frank Castle.

Well, he was already christened "The Punisher". And if it were a movie, he would've already gained the skull costume earlier, otherwise people would've been dissatisfied that he never wears it. All I'm saying is that if the first 4 episodes were to be re-edited into a movie, he would be lacking in that department, but as simply the first 4 episodes of the series, it's more acceptable.

Anyway, is there such a children's book called "One Batch, Two Batch"?

BTW, Matt's priest seems a bit naive at times. I guess you could call him the Green Lantom. :o

Last edited:
Where can I get the original Thomas Jane Punisher T-Shirt? I had one before but it's too small now. I think it shrunk in the wash. I don't remember where I got it from, but that one looks better than some of the plain skulls.

Best episode of the season by far. Loved seeing Matt's new costume in action, and the hallway fight with the silhouettes was much better than some of the other fights from our lovely Hell's Kitchen Hallway Fighter.

Echoing everyone's statements above, this was Bernthal's episode through and through. He is a creature of pure rage and agony, and I wasn't particularly big on the, "Your pain isn't as bad as my pain!!" stuff from the prior ep, Bernthal's more quiet and exasperated monologue helped sell things so much better. Frank is just so, so tired. Matt's tired. This episode I think ties the knot very well on a very satisfying Punisher arc for DD and doesn't drag it on for too long. This might be the most emotional moment of the MCU. It's up there with Yinsen's sacrifice, the AoS episode "Melinda", Bobbi taking the shot for Hunter in AoS etc.

I do also love Matt and Karen's scene in the rain. I'm actually a fan of how the Affleck DD could "see" Elektra in the rain. In retrospect, seeing the blue radar vision bounce off her to create this sound image of Elektra is a bit too on the nose (then again, so is the "world on fire" kinda stuff from S1), but I loved how he could "sense" her due to the raindrops. The shades of yellow, green and blue in this show are just so brilliant. It's nighttime, but a vibrant night time.

Great ep. Foggy's also done some good things these past eps which I haven't mentioned. Him and Karen are more active this season and it's been good so far.

Dark Raven: I dont agree with your assessment on the costume. Frank isnt doing what he does to wear some logo on his chest.

Youre watching the show right? Youre actually watching each episode? Not like waiting just to see a costume I hope.

To make my point: See Daredevil Season 1.

Last edited:
They go extreme with violence in the first 5 minutes of this episode.

Well, he was already christened "The Punisher". And if it were a movie, he would've already gained the skull costume earlier, otherwise people would've been dissatisfied that he never wears it. All I'm saying is that if the first 4 episodes were to be re-edited into a movie, he would be lacking in that department, but as simply the first 4 episodes of the series, it's more acceptable.

Anyway, is there such a children's book called "One Batch, Two Batch"?

BTW, Matt's priest seems a bit naive at times. I guess you could call him the Green Lantom. :o

I think the priest is playing dumb, he knows exactly who Matt is. Just like Fox in Nolan's Batman

Gosh this episode was incredible. I loved that Punisher monologue, and also that whole scene where
he breaks out, kills everyone, and then DD has to stop him from killing more folks. That was perfect.

Last edited:
Didn't he already say he knew what Matt was doing later in Season 1?

Yeah, he said he had a pretty good idea. At some point last season he may have been playing dumb. This season they're on the same page.

As far as i'm concerned, these four episodes highlighted by this episode are the best comic book related thing since The Dark Knight.

I got teary eyed in reaction to Castle's monologue, half because it touched me tremendously and half because i couldn't believe this character i've been a fan of since the Punisher arcade game in 1993, a character that has been given awful treatments three times, has finally received the high quality of presentation he deserves.

A day after i saw Snyder's abomination, this has been such a cleansing experience.

Bernthal's performance. Incredible. I never liked the Punisher before, but he has made me a fan. That's a great feeling.

I think I actually preferred this episode to last episode by a bit just based on that DD and Frank moment towards the end. It's quite telling about Frank as a character in general. It's not hate that made the Punisher, it was it's opposite, yet no less able to burn a hole through a man. Love made the Punisher. And it was love that drove him over the edge.

That interrogation scene was pretty damned bad, meaning hard to watch.

I liked the cop telling DD he was different from Frank as well. DD is not out to spite the system. He augments it.

Great shot of DD on the church. SO much better than the 2003 film.

A really solid episode that was the emotional equal to the previous episodes action fest.

Oddly... I just am agnostic right now on one thing: Karen and Matt. Strangely, I like both characters but I just don't care about them getting it on or getting together. I don't know why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"