Season 3, Episode 9: "The Dress" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Official Description:

LOIS CONFIDES IN LANA – Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) and John Henry (Wole Parks) clash over how to handle Bruno Mannheim (Chad Coleman), while Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) worries over upcoming treatments and confides in Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui) about her early courtship with Clark (Tyler Hoechlin). Meanwhile, Jonathan (Michael Bishop), Jordan (Alex Garfin), and Sarah (Inde Navarrette) work together to help Natalie (Tayler Buck) deal with the aftermath of meeting Matteo’s (guest star Spence Moore II) family. Stephen Maier directed the episode written by Kristi Korzec (#309). Original airdate 5/23/2023.

Promo:

Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) worries over upcoming treatments and confides in Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui) about her early courtship with Clark (Tyler Hoechlin).

I smell flashbacks!!! :mrk:

I smell flashbacks!!! :mrk:

i-guess-youre-right-daphne-lawrence.gif

Somebody crossed the line with tonight.

I don't know what more I can say about this season that hasn't been said already. But tonight's episode achieved the pinnacle of something the genre has long been chasing: that perfect semblance of superhero action with the trials and tribulations of the human experience. As far as I'm concerned, it will forever go down as one of the finest moments in all of Superman history. Tremendously special.

its-such-a-high-ceiling-bar-has-been-raised.gif

Last edited:
The Frankenstein imagery of the tubes in his neck suggests that we’re going to get the "Me am Bizarro!" version of the other Superman.

My one quibble is that I don't entirely buy what they're doing with John Henry. But I'm certainly interested in seeing where it's going.
I don’t like incarnation-of-vengeance John Henry, but he has been remarkably well-adjusted for someone who lost his entire planet and remembers it. I’d say extreme overprotectiveness of family is to be expected.

My one quibble is that I don't entirely buy what they're doing with John Henry. But I'm certainly interested in seeing where it's going.

I don’t like incarnation-of-vengeance John Henry, but he has been remarkably well-adjusted for someone who lost his entire planet and remembers it. I’d say extreme overprotectiveness of family is to be expected.

I haven't read this yet, but you might want to have a look, as it addresses the subject in question.

Keeping in line with him being an assistant coach for the school football team, I love how Clark is such a sports nerd that he actually had a baseball card collection.

Damn John Henry was really put through the ringer during this episode and while I wasn't expecting them to go in this direction with his character, I am definitely invested in seeing where it goes.

Also, that ending was just fricking beautiful.

I gotta say this episode kind of solidified to me that Superman & Lois is the best modern Superman adaption in media yet and it’ll be a real shame if this show gets canned right when it’s been so excellent so far.

Indeed. I'll be holding out hope until the death knell rings.

Yeah, not to get all sentimental, but one gets the feeling that a lot of love went into this season. It feels almost personal if that makes any sense.
Yep completely agree, in terms of the themes so far this season. Its been very mature. The convo between Lana and Lois is something i haven't really seen explored in Superhero TV series, For me this episode had the right balance of everybody which is hard to do. I was genuinely smiling at the end. John Henry had a interesting turn of events.
The look Superman gave after John Henry killing that dude was genuine concern.Ironically John didn't look phased..worrying development imo Also when the boys were talking outside the house and you heard the sonic boom and Clark appears troubled and processing wtf made Henry cross the line like that was to me one of the best scenes in the episode

Yep completely agree, in terms of the themes so far this season. Its been very mature. The convo between Lana and Lois is something i haven't really seen explored in Superhero TV series, For me this episode had the right balance of everybody which is hard to do. I was genuinely smiling at the end. John Henry had a interesting turn of events.
The look Superman gave after John Henry killing that dude was genuine concern.Ironically John didn't look phased..worrying development imo Also when the boys were talking outside the house and you heard the sonic boom and Clark appears troubled and processing wtf made Henry cross the line like that was to me one of the best scenes in the episode

Yeah, the show handles mature themes really well, and it does so w/o being "edgy" or trying too hard to sell a deeper metaphor or what have you. That conversation between Lois and Lana is a prime example.

John's been struggling with a lot this season, his latest actions being the culmination of all that. I just hope the writers haven't taken him down the path of no return, as that would be a disappointing turn of events for the character.

Im interested to see how they deal with John Henry because....he wasnt wrong in what he did. He tried to be nice. His and his daughters lives were put in danger...he tried to go the non-lethal route....he is almost killed AGAIN and he did what he had to do to protect himself. Sympathy can be a big weakness for Clark and sometimes force as to be taken.

Yeah, I'm with Irons. Sure he was a little too eager this episode with some things. But protecting yourself like he did wasn't wrong. I'd kill the person too if it was them or me.

Perhaps it’s “superhero fatigue” on my part… but I’m finding the conventional genre material (Supes/John Henry/the DOD vs Mannheim, etc.) to be kinda perfunctory — especially in comparison to the Lois storyline. I.e., all the scenes in “The Dress” that were actually about the dress (as a symbol of youth, beauty and femininity) were wonderfully engaging and moving. The other stuff (including the boys’ “feud” and Nat’s romantic tribulations)... not so much. It left me wondering whether “The Dress” could have been produced as one of those “very special episodes” where the standard formula is essentially cast aside — with full attention paid to just Lois and Clark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"