Season 2, Episode 8: "Into Oblivion" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
CHANGES – Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch), Clark (Tyler Hoechlin), and Natalie (Taylor Buck) notice a difference in John Henry’s (Wole Parks) behavior and fear something might be very wrong. Meanwhile, Kyle (Erik Valdez) encounters an awkward moment with Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui) while stopping by the house to pick Sarah (Inde Navarrette) up for school. Lastly, Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) and Jordan (Alex Garfin) brace themselves when they realize a talking to from their parents is headed their way. Dylan Walsh and Sofia Hasmik also star. The episode was directed by Sudz Sutherland and written by Juliana James & Kristi Korzec (#208). Original airdate 3/22/2022.

I just remembered this isn't on until next week and now I'm sad

The recent batch of episodes focused on Lana Lang's family and neither John Henry and Natalie were in any of them. I wonder if John Henry is possessed by the soul of Earth-Prime's John Henry Irons.

It took them this long to give us Natalie's backstory?

That was a depressing episode. Very "doom and gloom" but other than that, it was really solid. Loved Jordan in this one, actually. Got strong Smallville vibes from the scene with him stepping in to help Jon and Cassie(?) or whatever his girlfriends name is :funny:

Had a feeling there was an angle there with Lucy, but man, Ally is deplorable. The actress is doing a great job because I love to hate her.

Especially looking forward to next weeks episode :woo:

I was never a big Smallville fan, but that scene with Jordan definitely felt like something from that show and I thought it was actually pretty awesome and did a great job showing Jordan's potential.

Now, I am really looking forward to seeing with the kids can do once they develop their powers a bit more whenever that may be and the cliffhanger/twist towards the end was pretty great too.

It was a really solid episode overall that got me excited for next weeks for sure.

Solid episode, loved getting more of Natalie's story. Her POV is very understandable to me, and I'm glad she and Clark are on the road to working through it. Not sure if I heard correctly, but was her AI named "Hedy" as in Hedy Lamarr? Really cool if so, would also explain the accent, lol.

The Jordan scene was indeed a bit Smallville, but I enjoyed it anyway. :hehe: The sooner he and Sarah officially call it quits the better, though.

So I actually thought when Lucy first showed up that she was Bizarro!Lucy or something, but somehow I think this twist is darker. I like it.

My one little nitpick is Superman jumping to the conclusion that all who went into the portal are dead when talking to Sam, whose daughter they thought was one of them. I mean...it's a portal. We already know there's "another world," and we already know someone who came through from it. Surely of all people, Superman would hang onto hope that they could still be alive.

On a side note, the visuals for that portal were really nice, imo.

Anyway, next week looks highly intriguing, can't wait!

Okay, so Sam was right about his daughter putting something in his tea, but that's seriously his first thought? Not that he was having a stress-induced heart attack or aneurysm or something? If he's immediately that suspicious, then I hope that the access card was a fake, the bait in a sting.

My one little nitpick is Superman jumping to the conclusion that all who went into the portal are dead when talking to Sam, whose daughter they thought was one of them. I mean...it's a portal. We already know there's "another world," and we already know someone who came through from it. Surely of all people, Superman would hang onto hope that they could still be alive.
I think that his behaviour in this episode, though out of character, is reasonable given the circumstances. Clark is experiencing how his optimistic reassurances to Natalie come across as promising more than he can deliver. I can see him choosing his words very carefully in that light.

Mirror-Ally talked about "Kal-El" instead of "Superman". This sounds like another example of mirror-Tal's influence in that world.

Solid episode, loved getting more of Natalie's story. Her POV is very understandable to me, and I'm glad she and Clark are on the road to working through it. Not sure if I heard correctly, but was her AI named "Hedy" as in Hedy Lamarr? Really cool if so, would also explain the accent, lol.

The Jordan scene was indeed a bit Smallville, but I enjoyed it anyway. :hehe: The sooner he and Sarah officially call it quits the better, though.

So I actually thought when Lucy first showed up that she was Bizarro!Lucy or something, but somehow I think this twist is darker. I like it.

I actually do as well.
I've never really found the Lucy Lane character in general all that interesting in other versions and in The Supergirl tv show ,in all honesty.
As a character , she always seemed to me to be a cipher really.

Making her an antagonist as is interesting.
So I like what they've done with her character in this iteration, since it gives her more meat than just being "Lois Lane's kid sister".

the star of the episode and the hope all came from Jordan.
Jordan in this one, actually. Got strong Smallville vibes from the scene with him
stepping in to help Jon and Cassie. it reminded me of the first time I saw Unbreakable
with Bruce Willis, when I saw him wearing the dark hood over his eyes in the dark.

I thought it was some kind of Bizzaro Lucy as well, or that she merged with her inverse self and came back. Either way, I thought it was a trap and she seemed untrustworthy.

I do love that it it took me a second to realize it was Bizarro Ally in the beginning. The reversed name plate was great.

I also loved the manly nods and grunts after Jordan saved Jon and Cassie. And I do love the brotherly bond, and how Jordan isn't going straight to the parents after he figured the stuff out.

I do like the Lucy twist.

And once again, the Lana and Kyle stuff is too real.

I'm glad that they finally addressed the big elephant in room concerning Clark and Natalie. Given her traumatic experiences, it felt unrealistic for her to be okay with Clark from the start. Here's hoping that we get to see them develop a close bond over this season.

Also, does anyone know why Superman couldn't grab more than one person during portal rescue?

I can already picture how things are going to end between Jordan and Sarah and it's not going to be pretty.

I rewatched the episode again and still feel confused regarding the whole Pendant/Bizarro World plot.
  • If the portal was always accessible in the mines, why did Ally wait so long to use it?
  • Weren't there supposed to be two pendants on Earth Prime (e.g., Bizarro's Pendant and Ally's Pendant)?
  • I still don't get why Superman could only rescue one person at a time during the portal sequence.
  • Personally, I don't see any differences between how Ally's followers and Anderson had traveled into the portal respectively.

5/10.

Isn't this a show about Superman ?

Focus on Superman's kids and family, fair enough, but there are too many side characters getting too much time in this show. Smallville did a much better job of balancing this out.

The Kent boys are finally starting to grow on me, and it's great seeing them stick up for each other.
Jordan really came into his own
saving Jon's ass, although with the beating he took he should bè in hospital

On the other hand I couldn’t give two ****s about Lana Lang's mayoral campaign or family drama.

The writing is a bit haphazard. Ally and Nat are almost using some really contrived "make the good character feel bad" stuff. When that's done cleverly it really works - here it just makes Sam Lane and Superman look dumb for buying into it.

Given the idea of the shadow world and the storytelling possibilities it offers, it's a bit disappointing so far - other than Bizarro, who's far too awesome to be dead. No doubt he'll make a surprise reappearance soon.

While Mitch is a reasonable antagonist, given Superman's excellent catalog of enemies, I would prefer to see someone more established in that role.

the star of the episode and the hope all came from Jordan.
Jordan in this one, actually. Got strong Smallville vibes from the scene with him
stepping in to help Jon and Cassie. it reminded me of the first time I saw Unbreakable
with Bruce Willis, when I saw him wearing the dark hood over his eyes in the dark.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of Jordan, but he was great in that scene. He carried it without saying anything, so a good performance in a good scene ( although Jon should be in hospital). And he was uncharacteristically chill when Jon showed up later. I would say he was the MVP.

Have to say that Superman/Clark himself was pretty good, and it was nice of him to find a place for Nat and her dad.

- although he wasn't around much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"