Supergirl Season 4, Episode 10: "Suspicious Minds" (SPOILERS)

Erasing Alex's knowledge of Kara is like taking away her entire life.

Fictionally speaking, the “internal logic” of the mind wipe might be a little tricky to manage. Technically, Alex will remember her sister and Supergirl; it’s the secret identity part that she won’t know. But does this mean that Alex will continue to trust Supergirl as a hero and ally (as has been the case for the last four years)? Or will she suddenly/somehow be as suspicious and cynical as Colonel Haley is?

I am not sure whether the Alex thing is a good thing or a bad thing. What if they plan to make her the season or series villain based on this? That'd be honestly my worst case scenario for the show.

Well, I don't think they'll go that route , though I would agree with you that would be a big misfire. At worst, I think we'll get the whole "Why are you keeping things from me " kinda dynamic that's been done in Smallville, The first two Raimi Spiderman films, etc or the "I'm hunting down the hero who's a menace but I don't know the hero is someone close to me" trope.

My own issue with the mind wipe, is that I liked that from day one, they didn't go the Superhero cliche route of Alex not knowing Kara was Supergirl. I

t made the story more interesting for me, so to take that dynamic away feels kinda underwhelming and cliched to me especially, since this season has been so good in terms of the whole Children of Liberty and Alien hysteria dynamic.

To me, it feels kinda desperate on the writers part ,but we'll wait and see. I could be persuaded if they do something new , interesting, and unique with the mind wipe idea .

If the subvert expectations with it and don't take it in the predictable route that superhero shows tend to take it in, I might like it. Its gonna depend on the execution of it .

Well Alex and co. just crossed a line that hopefully leads to something interesting.
I am not sure whether the Alex thing is a good thing or a bad thing. What if they plan to make her the season or series villain based on this? That'd be honestly my worst case scenario for the show.
I thought the episode was pretty good. I do like this new development with the mind wipe. I think it will provide lots of interesting drama in the coming episodes. We've never seen Kara this alone with her secret so it should make for a good storyline, plus I'm curious to see what Alex is like without this knowledge, are they even still that close?
Fictionally speaking, the “internal logic” of the mind wipe might be a little tricky to manage. Technically, Alex will remember her sister and Supergirl; it’s the secret identity part that she won’t know. But does this mean that Alex will continue to trust Supergirl as a hero and ally (as has been the case for the last four years)? Or will she suddenly/somehow be as suspicious and cynical as Colonel Haley is?
It's a very interesting dynamic they're proceeding with here. I don't think Alex will suddenly distrust Supergirl, but there's got to be more to this than a simple I wont remember who you are, so Alex suddenly turning against Supergirl would be an interesting route to take, even if it doesn't make sense. Alex can't suddenly go anti-alien though, cause she still knows who/what John & Brainy are.

Great episode to come back to. Haley really showed herself to be a Queen Bee-otch, esp after threatening Supergirl's family and friends. Got a big cheer out of me when Alex decked her hard! She only deserved more than that.

The thing with the invisible aliens really shows how low the Government is falling into alien hysteria-mode. I wonder how they'll pull them out of the dive.

I feel sorry for Nia, as she clearly has a crush on Brainy. I'm still hoping she and Brainy will become an item rather than him and Kara. Also, while the promo pic shows that she does look good in her new costume, I'm wondering at the need for it. The costumes are usually to keep a heroes identity a secret when they are out and about and crime-fighting. So far, Nia has only shown clairvoyance as a super power, which would lead me to view her as an intel asset and not a fighter.
Unless, there are other powers that have not yet been unclocked with her.

Also loved Brainy's moment before his memory unlocked itself!:D

And I totally agree with SSAV, that the final scene made the entire episode! Surprise right out of left field and something that clearly scares Kara. And seeing the promo for next weeks show, there are a lot of ramifications in Alex that they did not foresee.
I am hoping they keep this arc going for a while as it will be interesting to see how Kara handles not having that private support readily available. I think Alex will continue to be a friend and allie, but just missing that one crucial ingredient that is going to be like a massive wedge between them.
After all, the only think Alex is forgetting is that Kara is Supergirl. She will remember supporting and fighting besides Supergirl and that they are friends.
She will be a sister so close and yet too far away.
As to Kara's reasoning for becoming Supergirl, she did do it all for Alex. There was no one else she was thinking about when she tossed aside her anonymity in order to save her sister. So, not matter what reasoning came after, Kara did become Supergirl expressly because of Alex.

Then there's the reconciliation between James and Lena. (That was a great scene in the gym by the way!) I like that they are back together and I really hope he does become the Angel on her shoulder. I will really hate it if they turn Lena full bad.

Kara's time with Alex's Earth-1 counterpart foreshadowed that end scene.

Definitely made the Elseworlds scene with alt-Alex more important. Damn, that scene where Alex said she had to get mind wiped was powerful. I love their relationship, and it will be interesting to see the change, and the eventual reversal of course.

Also, I loved how David Harewood delivered the "Of course I will do it". Just the right amount of resentment for having to give up on his oath, for these two women who he really cares for. Some good acting.

Also nice to see Red Daughter a bit more. Hopefully that storyline is going to start picking up. Now, who will be the final big bad, Red Daughter or the Elite...

Also nice to see Red Daughter a bit more. Hopefully that storyline is going to start picking up. Now, who will be the final big bad, Red Daughter or the Elite...
Maybe the they'll be together. I could see one scenario playing out where Red Daughter starts off as the arm of her government, develops a mind of her own and breaks away from them to be a free agent, but due to her "upbringing" is a more ruthless and merciless version of Supergirl whose values line up more with The Elite, and they join forces in a war against their oppressors (humans in power).

Well, they have said the various plots dovetail into each other. Fairly obvious Lena's leads into the Elite. Should be interesting to see how they go.

Also, I loved how David Harewood delivered the "Of course I will do it". Just the right amount of resentment for having to give up on his oath, for these two women who he really cares for. Some good acting.
David’s acting was all around fantastic. I liked that when J’onn hesitated the sisters jumped in with we”ll find another way. Even in their stressed out state they respected him.

So after getting to actually watch the whole episode, I thought not only was this the best mid-season return episode the show has had, but it's also one of the stronger eps of the season thus far.

-I love how ride-or-die Brainy's devotion to Kara is, despite them not going the romantic route with those characters. The way he was so concerned about her having a support structure in the beginning was downright precious. I'd really like to see Kara acknowledge him a bit more, not just when she needs his help with something.
-Very cool to see J'onn setting up his P.I. office. I'm enjoying his journey this season.
-Also interested in seeing how Nia's abilities will be applied in a "superhero" context.
-Can't believe they're still trying it with James/Lena. They are just SO poorly-matched, lol. But at least this time it seems like it will be serving a story purpose as Lena goes down the ethical rabbit hole.
-I liked the direction they took with the MotW. Big theme this week was how our fears can cause us to create our own monsters (I think the choice Alex/Kara/J'onn made at the end will go in that direction too), and all the storylines were serving that theme nicely.
- Speaking of that ending, oof. Punch to the gut. I think I've said this before, but this just further cemented my belief that Chyler Leigh and Melissa Benoist are the best leads on the CW when it comes to this dramatic emotional stuff. I actually got choked up in the end and found that whole scenario absolutely heartbreaking. David was nicely understated in those last few scenes too. It was just beautifully-played all-around, imo. It's also potentially game-changing, but I don't wanna say that too soon because I'm not yet convinced they won't pull an "undo" on it soon.

My one big complaint about this one is that the action was rather poorly-directed in spots, but oh well, after a run of episodes that were pretty solid on the action front, they were probably due for a clunker in that department.

Last edited:
At the end of the show when Kara was telling Chyler to quit the DEO, Chyler should've sung:

"We're caught in a trap. I can't walk out because I love you too much, baby. We can't go on together with suspicious minds..."

Then after the mind wipe, when Chyler questions Kara about these sudden disappearances, Kara can reply:

"Here we go again asking where I've been. You can't see the tears are real I'm crying (Yes, I'm crying). We can't go on together with suspicious minds..."

Can these memories even be returned?
For some reason, I've been going on the assumption that all J'onn has to do is another Vulcan mind trick and 'poof!' suddenly Alex could reconnect Kara with Supergirl and all her memories are restored.
But how..?
Yes, they can play around with maybe J'onn holding those memories 'in trust,' but if they are wiped from her mind and he isn't able to store them for her, then Alex is starting from square one with little possibility of going back.
Which makes this sacrifice all the more powerful.

You would think that Kara would have figured out a response to say to someone if they demanded to know her secret identity. If she had already thought of her answer beforehand, then when the POTUS asked her, she would have simply said "I don't have a secret identity. Do you see a mask? I am Supergirl. I come from the planet Krypton. Even if I told you my real name, it would mean nothing to you, as you aren't a citizen of Krypton. And you wouldn't even be able to check since my planet is destroyed."

If she had said something like that, there would've been no witchhunt and no need for any mind wipe whatsoever. Chyler could've retained her memories and J'onn wouldn't have to feel he's violated anyone.

I mean, if the POTUS asked Superman his real identity, he could just say Kal-El, and then what's the president supposed to say to that? "Well, alrighty then."

I thought this episode was solid. The Kara/Alex stuff at the end was very good, though I am not a big fan of situations created that we know will be undone down the line.

Did anyone else notice that the house they go to fight the aliens is the same one where Oliver fought Damien Dhark a few seasons back on Arrow? That arch outside the door is pretty familiar.

Part of me is really hoping that it is not 'resolved' to any real satisfaction. I would actually prefer that Alex now has to start from the beginning when she finally learns again that her sister is Supergirl. Her mother could certainly help when that happens, as they did not mention her needing to have her mind wiped.

You'd have to wonder just what kind of person Alex is now that she's been wiped of all those memories. I mean she's always known Kara was from another planet and that has shaped her whole life and it's choices. Who is she now?

Yes some of the DEO agents will "forget" a small amount of time, but Alex would forget probably half her life's worth of memories. That's going to be very interesting to watch play out.

Also makes you wonder if she and Kara will still be close, if they didn't have that shared secret, would they have remained close or be strangers who share parents?

It now provides Kara with an excuse for why she didn't tell Lena her secret identity. She can say that even her own sister doesn't know anymore.

Kara can always pretend that she did trust Lena with it, but that Lena also had to have her mind wiped because the DEO was coming after everyone she knew.

If she wants to say that Lena have Kara permission, they can always have J'onn record a message as Lena saying that she agreed to it. How would Lena know that she didn't really have her mind wiped?

It now provides Kara with an excuse for why she didn't tell Lena her secret identity. She can say that even her own sister doesn't know anymore.

Kara can always pretend that she did trust Lena with it, but that Lena also had to have her mind wiped because the DEO was coming after everyone she knew.

If she wants to say that Lena have Kara permission, they can always have J'onn record a message as Lena saying that she agreed to it. How would Lena know that she didn't really have her mind wiped?

I don't think she needs any other 'excuse' than it was for Lena's own safety. And that's after she was unsure of Lena as she is a Luther and after the incident that has put a strain on the Lena/Supergirl relationship every since.

She could also say that she was simply afraid of losing Lena's friendship if she knew. Nearly everyone in her life, before this, see Kara through the Supergirl lenses, whereas Lena does not. She simply sees Kara as Kara, and I think that is something that she (Kara) treasures.

You'd have to wonder just what kind of person Alex is now that she's been wiped of all those memories. I mean she's always known Kara was from another planet and that has shaped her whole life and it's choices. Who is she now?

Yes some of the DEO agents will "forget" a small amount of time, but Alex would forget probably half her life's worth of memories. That's going to be very interesting to watch play out.

Also makes you wonder if she and Kara will still be close, if they didn't have that shared secret, would they have remained close or be strangers who share parents?

It looks like next week's ep is going right to those repercussions. And apparently they are having a biiiig impact!

Can these memories even be returned?
That's a good question, one that it would have been nice for them to go into a bit more. Are those memories suppressed, or are they gone altogether?

You would think that Kara would have figured out a response to say to someone if they demanded to know her secret identity. If she had already thought of her answer beforehand, then when the POTUS asked her, she would have simply said "I don't have a secret identity. Do you see a mask? I am Supergirl. I come from the planet Krypton. Even if I told you my real name, it would mean nothing to you, as you aren't a citizen of Krypton. And you wouldn't even be able to check since my planet is destroyed."
As sensible as that is, it doesn't do much for the plot. :p In any case, Kara probably never expected she'd need to divulge her true identity to anyone, and thus never planned a response. I do wonder why (or whether) Superman would also be given the same ultimatum as Supergirl here, if he was still around on Earth.

All excellent points, and I hope these are repercussions. Alex and Kara can't be as close as they were, because (as you've rightly stated) a lot of their relationship (as sisters) is via the revelation of who Kara actually is, and what she can do. Without that history, what is their relationship? Unless Alex's memories are indeed suppressed, I do hope they never get back to who they are; I don't mind Alex finding out about Kara again, but unless her memories are restored, she should forever have a different relationship with Kara moving forward, regardless of whether the secret is out or not.

At least Kara still has James, John, Brainy and (soon) Dreamer on her side.

I think they can do that mind-meld thing through J'onn and Kara can share her memories with Alex.

My one big complaint about this one is that the action was rather poorly-directed in spots, but oh well, after a run of episodes that were pretty solid on the action front, they were probably due for a clunker in that department.

My pet peeve is when the story - and logic - seem to demand an obvious display of superpowers and yet Supergirl is reduced to (essentially) just another DEO agent who maybe throws a punch or some such. (Presumably, this is because of budget constraints in a given episode.)

This time around, though, I thought the action was at least serviceable. And the final battle with the aliens invading DEO HQ was handled pretty well (especially since invisible aliens are a tad difficult to photograph :word:).

I thought the aliens might kill Hailey once she found out Kara's secret. That is usually what happens in these things that someone is a goner or their days are numbered once they find out that secret.

The opening with Russian Kara was great after that it was boring as hell. Invisible aliens really? I’m near to dropping this show tbh I find the writing subpar and all the forced drama is a ball ache.

The opening with Russian Kara was great after that it was boring as hell. Invisible aliens really? I’m near to dropping this show tbh I find the writing subpar and all the forced drama is a ball ache.
That’s quite a quick turnaround on your opinion from the first half of the season to this ep! Last I heard you were loving this season, and now about to drop it, lol.

That’s quite a quick turnaround on your opinion from the first half of the season to this ep! Last I heard you were loving this season, and now about to drop it, lol.

Some things have been really bothering me since Part 3 of Elseworlds. I think my buzz of getting to see Superman again was partly why I was enjoying the back end of the first half of the season and then Part 3 of Elseworlds happened. I kinda liked it at first but then more I’ve thought about it. The more I realised how I wasn’t happy with some of the decisions made and I’ve always complained about Supergirl’s political stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"