Supergirl Season 4, Episode 13: "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way?" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Official Description:

"SUPERGIRL FACES OFF AGAINST THE ELITE — Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala) breaks out of prison with the help of his new team, The Elite, who are set on punishing the anti-alien forces. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) pulls double duty as she tries to apprehend Manchester Black and his team as well as deal with a shocking new development with Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer). Alexis Ostrander directed the episode written by Eric Carrasco & Aadrita Mukerji (#413). Original airdate 3/3/2019."

Much like the 13th episode of S1, this is based on and named after a really famous Superman story. That one turned out to be one of the best eps of the season, so hopefully this one can follow suit. I have my doubts since it's a Carrasco ep, though. He's not one of the show's better writers, imo.

Now I am concerned about the writing.

Promo:

Looks like Manchester will at least have his powers by the end of the ep.

Last edited:
Super Friends!

Though what I would love to hear is Supergirl using the 'Truth. Justice, American Way' phrase in open and direct opposition to the Children of Liberty. They don't even stand for Liberty!

Sneak peek:

Glad to see they got a new Kelex. Wonder if they got it from Argo.

Just got home and have yet to see the first half, but so far, just happy to see Manchester with purple hair, lol.

And nice to see they found a way for Nia's powers to not be useless in a fight 90% of the time.

Will have to watch the first half later, but from what I saw, this seemed like a pretty good ep. The Elite not being eliminated in one ep, fun action sequence, Martian Manhunter back in action, epic SG power display, Brainy making Dreamer useful in a fight, SG and Alex getting their groove back, Lena and Alex team-up, Haley seemingly starting to grow a conscience...all nice developments.

Last edited:
Much better episode and a lot has moved forward. I wanted Supergirl to have her own super team when dealing with threats. Hope they don’t forget about Red Daughter.

Curious how much influence Lockwood will have with his new appointed position. Especially since, at this point, no one in the Children of Liberty would dare challenge him.

Super Friends!

Though what I would love to hear is Supergirl using the 'Truth. Justice, American Way' phrase in open and direct opposition to the Children of Liberty. They don't even stand for Liberty!
That’s her cousins motto hers is “Hope, Help, and Compassion for All”

Haven't watched this show in a while but switched to it in and it drew me in. I thought it was fun. I liked the friction between Supergirl and the president.

That’s her cousins motto hers is “Hope, Help, and Compassion for All”

That's good too, though they haven't been shy about stealing Superman's tropes.:D

I liked this episode. A lot of good action and team-ups, of course my fav being Supergirl and Alex. Loved her tossing the spacesuit onto SG and telling her to fly! Nice to see them getting a bit of their dynamic back.

Nia and Brainie are nice together and I like how they work. The episode lead-in though had me thinking Nia was going to get the Legion Ring that is in the Fortress in order to help power her up. Nice to see she doesn't really need too much help there with her Dream-blasters(?). Though now Brainie has to get his back... Silly Brainie, never reach into a trickster's hat! Though, again, there is an extra ring in the Fortress...

As to Alex now working with Lena on the superpower serum, I wonder if Alex might serve as a conscious-keeper or will she just end up regretting it? And how will Lena and James be when she finds out he's now investigating her?

And does Lena even know that Lex is now in DEO Headquarters? Hmmm...

Also, Alex has completely forgotten that Kara is an alien?!? Wh-wh-what?! Is that what anyone else got from her, 'You're only human line,' to Kara?

Now that I've seen the full episode, I think it was arguably one of, if not the, strongest of the season so far. I honestly don't have any real complaints about it (except Manchester STILL not getting his powers :argh: ...but I guess a Legion ring is an acceptable substitute for now).

-LOVING the new Lena/Alex alliance.
-Likewise the Brainy/Kelex rivalry.
-And the Alex/Supergirl re-alliance.
-And the Elite.
-Agent Liberty going full unhinged. Looks like we've (finally) reached that point where they're gonna stop pretending he's sympathetic.
-I feel like Haley's daughter is gonna be a crucial part in deciding which side she'll ultimately fall on in this conflict. I like that she at least seemed troubled by the President's actions, though.
-I love epic SG power displays, AND that they haven't forgotten that handy spacesuit. The moment Alex tossed her that was great. As was the reveal of Dreamer's "new power." Just a fun action sequence all around at the end there.

I just feel like everything moved forward quite nicely in this episode. Except Red Daughter, but I don't expect to see her again 'til we meet Lex, as I think she'll be tied to that plot.

Last edited:
Also, Alex has completely forgotten that Kara is an alien?!? Wh-wh-what?! Is that what anyone else got from her, 'You're only human line,' to Kara?
Uh, I'm pretty sure they established that was part of the whole memory erasure thing since that part of her identity is essentially Supergirl. That's why J'onn said Alex seemed to have lost some of her empathy toward aliens an ep or two ago - because she no longer has memories of growing up with one. And it's also why Kara was so gutted about this prospect.

-Agent Liberty going full unhinged. Looks like we've (finally) reached that point where they're gonna stop pretending he's sympathetic.

Personally, I never felt he was sympathetic. His father made terrible business choices that cost him his company and then blamed it on everyone else, and then his son started drinking the kool-aid.

Uh, I'm pretty sure they established that was part of the whole memory erasure thing since that part of her identity is essentially Supergirl. That's why J'onn said Alex seemed to have lost some of her empathy toward aliens an ep or two ago - because she no longer has memories of growing up with one. And it's also why Kara was so gutted about this prospect.

Guess I missed that. But yeah, thinking about it now... duh...o_O

Personally, I never felt he was sympathetic. His father made terrible business choices that cost him his company and then blamed it on everyone else, and then his son started drinking the kool-aid.
Oh I didn't find him sympathetic, either, but it seemed like the show was somewhat going for that for a hot minute there, imo.

Nia and Brainie are nice together and I like how they work. The episode lead-in though had me thinking Nia was going to get the Legion Ring that is in the Fortress in order to help power her up. Nice to see she doesn't really need too much help there with her Dream-blasters(?). Though now Brainie has to get his back... Silly Brainie, never reach into a trickster's hat! Though, again, there is an extra ring in the Fortress...
If your talking about the ring we saw in season one I think it's forgotten due to the network move. It was put there as an Easter Egg, at the time they didn't know the show would get a second season let alone have Superman or the Legion. There is however another Legion ring still in the 21st century and Kara has it. Mon-El gave her the ring off his finger just before he left in the season three finale. If Kara had had it on her she wouldn't have needed the exo-suit to fly in space but it's reasonable that she wouldn't wear it constantly because she doesn't need it to fly like other Legionaries not to mention she likely doesn't want a constant reminder of him on her hand. I'll also give it a pass because it was more important to show that Supergirl/Alex bonding moment. I would however like to see Kara offer to lend it to Brainy until they get his back.

Oh I didn't find him sympathetic, either, but it seemed like the show was somewhat going for that for a hot minute there, imo.

Yeah, that was a miss. LOL.

If your talking about the ring we saw in season one I think it's forgotten due to the network move. It was put there as an Easter Egg, at the time they didn't know the show would get a second season let alone have Superman or the Legion. There is however another Legion ring still in the 21st century and Kara has it. Mon-El gave her the ring off his finger just before he left in the season three finale. If Kara had had it on her she wouldn't have needed the exo-suit to fly in space but it's reasonable that she wouldn't wear it constantly because she doesn't need it to fly like other Legionaries not to mention she likely doesn't want a constant reminder of him on her hand. I'll also give it a pass because it was more important to show that Supergirl/Alex bonding moment. I would however like to see Kara offer to lend it to Brainy until they get his back.

It would be nice of her. But you are probably right, as just an Easter Egg it can be forgotten.

Does the Legion ring also allow her to breathe in space? Because I feel that is also the function of the suit and was its main purpose in episode 4. It is established in this show that Kara needs oxygen.

Will have to watch the first half later, but from what I saw, this seemed like a pretty good ep. The Elite not being eliminated in one ep, fun action sequence, Martian Manhunter back in action, epic SG power display, Brainy making Dreamer useful in a fight, SG and Alex getting their groove back, Lena and Alex team-up, Haley seemingly starting to grow a conscience...all nice developments.

Should easily make any 10 best ep list of this series.

I love The Elite.

Was disappointed that J’onn didn’t go full Martian.

I laughed at the satellite counting down from 7 rather than 10.

Ron Troupe wrote the Daily Planet article at the end. :cool:

I laughed at Lockwood beating that dude up.

I wonder if he killed that dude... Apparently it's okay to kill aliens, but if someone finds out about that, Lockwood might be locked up again.

Really enjoyed this episode

• Return of Manchester and forming of the Elite was great fun (also loved his back and forth with Jon about the morality of him staying out of the fight) I really hope he's the one to bring Manchester down as the connection and chemistry between the two actors is just great)
  • I got a feeling they were trying to make the Super Friends analogues of MLK and The Elite analogues of Malcolm X, maybe just me but I liked it.
  • Kara's internal debate on whether she should destroy the satellite as it was morally wrong but she would have to defy the president.
  • Like that James has finally found his backbone and is going after the story.
  • Alex giving Kara the exo-suit again (I love me a suit up scene)
  • Even loved Lockwood's story questioning if he had lost his way rubbing elbows with politicians as he started this to help the common man also liked his slightly evil turn at the end to let everyone know he's still in charge.
Even with no Red Kara or Lex I was completely content.

9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"